2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 09:16 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 346 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Candubrain
I'm 65 yrs old and 6'4". I went with a Heritage as the Ultra Limiteds were getting too heavy for me. The only downside is the vibration at highway speed compared to a rubber mounted motor. I do miss the smoothness of the big bikes, but not the weight. The HC does everything I want in a motorcycle at this stage of my life, the big cross country tours are behind me as I've covered all I want to do.
brian

I'm your age, much shorter. I don't feel much vibration at all with the Softail M8 having counterbalancer shafts. You sure your wheels are balanced?

This motor does have a bit of a drone, but I just wear ear plugs to cut wind noise and that helps. I agree the weight and balance of the Heritage is unparalleled.

The following users liked this post:
Rusty Bucket (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 01:09 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 427 Likes on 262 Posts

it vibrates a little more than the Tourings, but I like to feel the engine live...
and its so much nimble...

The following 2 users liked this post by Big Al 59:
Old New Rider (07-30-2023), PSYOPSGM (04-23-2024)
Old 07-29-2023, 08:23 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
How is your reach to the ground with your inseam, on the Pan America? I sat on one once and it seemed pretty high.
I've tested three different Pan America's, all with the low seat, in the low position, all with the adaptive ride height. And found all three to be oddly different.

Btw, I'm a smurf too, with a 27-28" inseam.

Pan Am #1 was a few years ago, and it thrilled me. It was one of the orange and white models in the demo fleet. Easily handled, ran like stink, the adaptive ride height was flawless. This one almost sold me on buying one right then and there. Almost.

Pan Am #2 was about 6-weeks ago. It refused to restart after it was ridden out. Errors codes and a no start. The bike would not lower down either.

Pan Am #3 was at the same dealership at the same time, about 6-weeks ago. Most noticeable difference was it would not lower down until the bike was at an almost complete stop, then it would drop quickly. This was a real problem for me, as I'd be tip-toeing the bike while coming to a stop. The bike was very noisy, with more scraping and grinding noises than a Royal Enfield. This was a surprisingly disappointing ride.

I very much want to like the Pan Am, and very much did like the first one.

Old 07-29-2023, 10:00 PM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
I've tested three different Pan America's, all with the low seat, in the low position, all with the adaptive ride height. And found all three to be oddly different.

Btw, I'm a smurf too, with a 27-28" inseam.

Pan Am #1 was a few years ago, and it thrilled me. It was one of the orange and white models in the demo fleet. Easily handled, ran like stink, the adaptive ride height was flawless. This one almost sold me on buying one right then and there. Almost.

Pan Am #2 was about 6-weeks ago. It refused to restart after it was ridden out. Errors codes and a no start. The bike would not lower down either.

Pan Am #3 was at the same dealership at the same time, about 6-weeks ago. Most noticeable difference was it would not lower down until the bike was at an almost complete stop, then it would drop quickly. This was a real problem for me, as I'd be tip-toeing the bike while coming to a stop. The bike was very noisy, with more scraping and grinding noises than a Royal Enfield. This was a surprisingly disappointing ride.

I very much want to like the Pan Am, and very much did like the first one.
I must be one of the lucky ones and even that might cause some suspicion on how the Pan America comes across to each person. I read all the negative stuff, watched so many YouTube videos- negative and positive. But somebody has to get in there and give it a go so I decided to, having trust that H-D would honor deficiency in their new bike release - just fix it! Well, I bought a 2022 and have not had a single issue and just approaching 7000 miles. Not a single code thrown to date, no electrical issues that I keep hearing about and the adaptive ride height has worked beautifully. It does not lower at a stop until the last few feet before a final stop but I have adjusted and it is fine. I only have one complaint and that is the Bluetooth connection sucks - period. The complaints I have seen on YouTube are mostly from riders that don't really want to acknowledge that H-D has produced such a successful Adventure bike at first try. Some are surprised and give it thumbs up but the nick pickers can and should be ignored. It is a wonderful machine and has a place in the best of the best from my research, not experience. FWTIW.
One thing I have always done since day one of ownership is attach the battery tender after each ride when at home. When on a road trip (I have done many overnights, riding each day without worrying about my battery) there has been no electrical issues or starting problems - not one.

So am I one of the few lucky ones to have a flawless Pan America? To this day, I absolutely love this bike!

Good luck and stay safe!

foxtrapper (07-30-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 11:25 AM
TeeJayEe
Tourer
Received 105 Likes on 50 Posts

Took delivery of a '23 Heritage Classic a couple weeks ago. Best bike I've had I reckon! I had the 114 in a FXLRS back in 2020 but I just enjoy the more laid back ride of the Heritage. The other half prefers it too!!

Took the bags off for the photo but usually ride with them on. I know they're not everyone's favourite but having never had stock bags on a bike before, they work for me!

The following 3 users liked this post by TeeJayEe:
Big Al 59 (08-03-2023), Rusty Bucket (08-03-2023), vin088xk1 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 11:55 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeJayEe
Took delivery of a '23 Heritage Classic a couple weeks ago. Best bike I've had I reckon! I had the 114 in a FXLRS back in 2020 but I just enjoy the more laid back ride of the Heritage. The other half prefers it too!!

Took the bags off for the photo but usually ride with them on. I know they're not everyone's favourite but having never had stock bags on a bike before, they work for me!

Excellent choice.

Do like the chrome. Much better than the blacked-out stuff on the current year models. The only thing I would change is the clear windshield. I prefer the blacked-out bottom version (mounted on chrome (or stainless?) frame - not the black).

As to the stock bags... Two things that I didn't care for. 1) They're not quick release, and 2) The lid latch bracket obscures the opening. The quick release comes in handy for cleaning and taking the bags off/inside when staying at overnight lodging. The lid latch bracket might be problematic for loading/unloading the bags with a lot of stuff. If it wasn't for these two issues, I might have just left the OEM bags on there. Well... and there are better looking aftermarket options... But that wouldn't have been a driving factor I don't think.

The following 2 users liked this post by T^2:
Old New Rider (08-03-2023), TeeJayEe (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 11:59 AM
TeeJayEe
Tourer

Originally Posted by T^2
Excellent choice.

Do like the chrome. Much better than the blacked-out stuff on the current year models. The only thing I would change is the clear windshield. I prefer the blacked-out bottom version (mounted on chrome (or stainless?) frame - not the black).

As to the stock bags... Two things that I didn't care for. 1) They're not quick release, and 2) The lid latch bracket obscures the opening. The quick release comes in handy for cleaning and taking the bags off/inside when staying at overnight lodging. The lid latch bracket might be problematic for loading/unloading the bags with a lot of stuff. If it wasn't for these two issues, I might have just left the OEM bags on there. Well... and there are better looking aftermarket options... But that wouldn't have been a driving factor I don't think.
Thanks, completely agree with all your points!

Old 08-03-2023, 12:08 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Congratulations!

I love my Heritage. The bags come in handy for small errands to the store - you don't have to wear a backpack - hard on the shoulders and blocks visibility of riding jacket backside.

I see you took the windshield off. How come?

TeeJayEe (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 12:52 PM
TeeJayEe
Tourer

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
I see you took the windshield off. How come?
I like the look of the screen on but at my 6’1 the height of it seems to cause the wind to turn my beard upside down into my eyes…

Solved by wearing a bandana/mask but I tend to just use the screen if I’m doing a longer ride.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:59 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master

I like the look of the screen on but at my 6’1 the height of it seems to cause the wind to turn my beard upside down into my eyes…

Solved by wearing a bandana/mask but I tend to just use the screen if I’m doing a longer ride.

Ah - you are in the higher percentile height. Stock windshield height is set for the median human height. For a large minority, it is too tall or too short. For you it is too short, obviously. It was even too short for me at a little over 5'10", so I ordered a custom height windshield. Much better! We have a lot of insects here, so I won't ride without a windshield.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread