2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 12:50 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
Received my new Clear View Windshield last week, and installed. I followed their height measurement instructions, the stock OEM windshield that came with the bike new measured 17.5" high, the proper height to still see over for my height is 19.5" high. Clear View offered a 19" and 21", so I went with 19", it's near perfect to still see over.

It takes quite a while to assemble with the additional shim spacers for all those fasteners, but it's worth it. Took it out today for 1st time, reduced head buffeting to a minor shimmy, and the middle vent option I ordered really helps reduce wind steer in gusty winds - it's always windy here on the edge of the Great Plains. Plus - no bugs in the middle of my helmet visor anymore. We have a very late spring this year, the bugs are just starting to come out. They all sailed over my head. It was great!

Highly recommended.
Been wondering about that going with a clear view with its curved upper area. Originally would have dismissed the vent idea, but may not now. I had read others saying the recurve actually increased the buffeting. So this is good news.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:43 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 346 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Been wondering about that going with a clear view with its curved upper area. Originally would have dismissed the vent idea, but may not now. I had read others saying the recurve actually increased the buffeting. So this is good news.
The key really is the right height. There is a range of height that increases buffeting - and it's just below the recommended height to see over. My factory windshield was in that zone - it was an inch and a half too low, according to the windshield manufacturer's measuring instruction. You can always go taller, if you don't mind looking through bugs, or lower and get bugs on your visor / glasses and bees down your jacket (happened to me last year - what fun riding being stung repeatedly).

In my region there are lots of bugs, so I want a right height windshield. Other regions don't need a shield at all.

The following 2 users liked this post by Old New Rider:
Candubrain (06-19-2023), Uncle G. (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 12:49 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 346 Likes on 271 Posts

Fuel gauge started acting up today on my '21 with 2,600 miles (I only cruise, no longer tour).

Took to local Dealer, sure enough, the tank gauge is malfunctioning, reading 1/4 tank too low. Dealer said "we see this on Heritages", whatever that means - I thought the 5 gallon tank was common across many models?

Anyway, still covered under warranty, for some reason, but of course they didn't have a service part in stock so gotta wait. It's just an annoyance, my mpg is constant @ 42 (was 43 before Stage II build), so I just mark my mileage on my trip odometer for refueling. Surprised me it's still a mechanical float attached to some kind of electronic rheostat, according to Service Rep.

fyi in case any of you see this.

Last edited by Old New Rider; 06-16-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:30 PM
Rabianegra
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine started doing it about 600 miles ago.

Dealer said it's some electronic bug in the odometer/dashboard and that it should stop doing it eventually.

MY19 bought in 2020 with 11.000 miles now.

The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 03:02 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
Fuel gauge started acting up today on my '21 with 2,600 miles (I only cruise, no longer tour).

Took to local Dealer, sure enough, the tank gauge is malfunctioning, reading 1/4 tank too low. Dealer said "we see this on Heritages", whatever that means - I thought the 5 gallon tank was common across many models?

Anyway, still covered under warranty, for some reason, but of course they didn't have a service part in stock so gotta wait. It's just an annoyance, my mpg is constant @ 42 (was 43 before Stage II build), so I just mark my mileage on my trip odometer for refueling. Surprised me it's still a mechanical float attached to some kind of electronic rheostat, according to Service Rep.

fyi in case any of you see this.
The fuel gauge on my '19 malfunctioned just once. It refused to read "full" when the tank was full, instead being stuck on "7/8" full. Apparently it "fixed" itself, as it only happened the once.

I think the five gallon tank is only used on the Heritage and the Fat Boy (also on the Slim and Deluxe, but they're discontinued).

Last edited by Uncle G.; 06-16-2023 at 03:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 05:38 PM
Ivan45acp
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

The fuel gauge on my '19 has been inaccurate pretty much since I bought the bike brand new. Brought it to the dealer twice, and twice was told "no problem." Now I just track mileage, but it is annoying to see the low fuel light on for nearly half a tank. F dealers is my take away.

Old 06-19-2023, 06:55 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 555 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivan45acp
The fuel gauge on my '19 has been inaccurate pretty much since I bought the bike brand new. Brought it to the dealer twice, and twice was told "no problem." Now I just track mileage, but it is annoying to see the low fuel light on for nearly half a tank. F dealers is my take away.
Not sure what is up with mine. My wife has a 21 Heritage 114 and I have a 19 Heritage 114. The only non-cosmetic differences are I have Rinehart slips-ons with no tuner, she has V&H Eliminator 300s with a SE tuner. I have a heavy breather. Hers is stock. We'll go on short trips together, same exact riding on a full tank. We'll fill up again with, perhaps 50 or 60 miles to go. She will do better and have about 20 miles +/- more than me to go.

I purchased mine, used, about two years ago. She purchased hers new. Mine is running fine overall. My local dealer "suggested" I install a tuner, but honestly said it is running fine and not to worry about right away. Note: I had them specifically check it out based on the whole loose-handlebar fiasco with my original purchase from another dealer. Long story.

Bottom line, 20 miles is 20 miles, so I think I will do the tuner thing next year during my spring state-inspection and once over. Perhaps that will help. Just makes me scratch my head though.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:20 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by bduds65
Not sure what is up with mine. My wife has a 21 Heritage 114 and I have a 19 Heritage 114. The only non-cosmetic differences are I have Rinehart slips-ons with no tuner, she has V&H Eliminator 300s with a SE tuner. I have a heavy breather. Hers is stock. We'll go on short trips together, same exact riding on a full tank. We'll fill up again with, perhaps 50 or 60 miles to go. She will do better and have about 20 miles +/- more than me to go.

I purchased mine, used, about two years ago. She purchased hers new. Mine is running fine overall. My local dealer "suggested" I install a tuner, but honestly said it is running fine and not to worry about right away. Note: I had them specifically check it out based on the whole loose-handlebar fiasco with my original purchase from another dealer. Long story.

Bottom line, 20 miles is 20 miles, so I think I will do the tuner thing next year during my spring state-inspection and once over. Perhaps that will help. Just makes me scratch my head though.
Too many variables here to be certain. One other possibility you didn’t mention is differences in riding styles between you and your wife. If she shifts earlier and spends more time in 6th gear than you that could also account for the difference in fuel economy.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:02 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 555 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Too many variables here to be certain. One other possibility you didn’t mention is differences in riding styles between you and your wife. If she shifts earlier and spends more time in 6th gear than you that could also account for the difference in fuel economy.
Interesting take. Thank you.

Hard to tell since she is usually behind me. I do suspect she shifts differently than I do. As for 6th gear, I'll have to ask her that also.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:52 PM
Clagagnon
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would like to know what is the brand of your sissy bar.
thanks

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread