2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 07:03 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by dbarbee
Also check to make sure the headlight isn’t on high beam. The factory default setting shuts off the passing lamps when the high beam is on. It can be changed by the dealer but most charge to do it.
If you ask nice, they might do it for free while they have the bike hooked up to the computer for some other service. I had them do mine while I was having the brakes flushed.

Old 03-19-2023, 01:43 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,297 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by LTBiker
Hey, one more question......do you think these lowers will work/fit with the OEM floorboards? I see you have converted to pegs, so wondering if the floorboards extend too far forward to mount the lowers without more mods.
Don't know why not. On touring bikes they clear foot boards. My "pegs" are OEM mid mounts from current softail line. Right side is take-off and left side is PA catalog conversion. Foot forward position of boards exacerbates my spinal stenosis pain.

Old 03-20-2023, 05:15 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Awesome! I hope you were satisfied with you purchase.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 03-31-2023, 08:28 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 346 Likes on 271 Posts

Interstate Helmet Buffeting Reduction -

Best solutions to reduce helmet buffeting >60 mph? Buffets quite a bit above this. Seems to be top of helmet only, is OEM windshield too short for me? I'm 5'11".

Only other street bike I owned was a Honda Shadow with windshield. I had no helmet buffeting, so was surprised when I got my Heritage. If taller windshield helps, is there a best brand and model?

Not sure whether to post this question here or a new thread under Softail General?

Old 03-31-2023, 10:14 PM
pkakit
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-01-2023, 06:33 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider

Best solutions to reduce helmet buffeting >60 mph? Buffets quite a bit above this. Seems to be top of helmet only, is OEM windshield too short for me? I'm 5'11".

Only other street bike I owned was a Honda Shadow with windshield. I had no helmet buffeting, so was surprised when I got my Heritage. If taller windshield helps, is there a best brand and model?

Not sure whether to post this question here or a new thread under Softail General?
You're in the right place, and it sounds like you need a taller windshield. The fangs (fork mounted wind deflectors) are for wind coming up underneath the tank. But, if you're getting hit top of the helmet only, a taller windshield is probably the answer.

You could stick with the same height and get a shield with a curve at the top, like the Long Ride shields. There are several to choose from. There's probably a thread on it here somewhere.

The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 06:59 AM
MilkMan608
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
You're in the right place, and it sounds like you need a taller windshield. The fangs (fork mounted wind deflectors) are for wind coming up underneath the tank. But, if you're getting hit top of the helmet only, a taller windshield is probably the answer.

You could stick with the same height and get a shield with a curve at the top, like the Long Ride shields. There are several to choose from. There's probably a thread on it here somewhere.
I'm 5'11" and ride a FLHCS with a Shoei full face helmet and a stock height Long Ride recurve shield. JES fangs, also. Great setup.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:09 AM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

You are getting good advice - windshield with a curve. As stated, there are several out there. I have had two curved shields from clearviewshields.com - one on my 2019 Heritage and another on my Street Glide. Never had a buffeting issue. But, I am also only 5' 5" tall. For me, a taller windshield was too much of a negative appearance change.

Stay safe.

Old 04-01-2023, 08:26 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

There are a lot of factors that contribute to buffeting. Both turbulent air coming over the top of the windshield and from up around the tank can be in play. How you sit the bike in relation to the windshield, where your knees end up in relation to the tank, the helmet you wear, etc. have an impact. I would first focus on the windshield before resorting to the fangs. You'll want to make sure you have your seat, bars etc. sorted before getting a different shield...

https://www.clearviewshields.com/abo...arview-shield/

Then you will need get a shield that fits you correctly...

https://www.clearviewshields.com/abo...shield-height/

I would recommend getting a shield with a vent. The idea is to decrease the pressure differential created behind the shield. ClearView and others offer different options...

https://www.clearviewshields.com/abo...hield-venting/

This guy had the vent installed below the horizontal brace (in the black)...

One thing to consider with location is windshield bags. If you want to install one, then you'll have to have the vent installed above the brace. This is what I did. The vent is a 5 position vent. You'll have to play with that to figure out which position works best. For me it was the second position from fully closed.

I also recommend the recurve...

https://www.clearviewshields.com/abo...ecurve-design/

ClearView shield for 2018+ Heritage...

https://www.clearviewshields.com/mot...size-brackets/

One thing to note when ordering. ClearView had a different shield shape (their original design) for their larger shields. Whether they still do that IDK. If you want the tombstone shape of the stock shield, I'd recommend you call them to make sure you get what you want. Here is what their original design shape looks like...

I can't say if the shield shape had any impact of performance. Might ask ClearView. You'll also have to custom order the blacked out area below the horizontal brace (if you want to match the stock shield).

As to the fangs... As you can see, I had the JES fangs on my bike. They are effective. In my mind, they are too effective. Heat is an issue with them. In particular, felt heat can be a problem. They make the rider's pocket pretty uncomfortable on hot summer days. Your crotch and right calve/leg will also get toasty. Do they also impact engine heat/cooling? That's harder to say - but I suspect they may have some impact. I removed them for both these reasons. For me the ClearView shield with vent cleaned the buffeting up to an acceptable level and I'm grateful for the remaining cooling air that gets to me.

Here's an experiment... Put your hands out - palms down - right in front of your knees. See what happens. Fangs will have an impact on this. But again, I would try addressing things with a custom shield first. If the results with the shield are good enough, I would leave it at that.

Anyway...

My 2 cents.

Last edited by T^2; 04-01-2023 at 09:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by T^2:
Candubrain (04-06-2023), Old New Rider (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 11:12 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 346 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
There are a lot of factors that contribute to buffeting. Both turbulent air coming over the top of the windshield and from up around the tank can be in play. How you sit the bike in relation to the windshield, where your knees end up in relation to the tank, the helmet you wear, etc. have an impact. I would first focus on the windshield before resorting to the fangs. You'll want to make sure you have your seat, bars etc. sorted before getting a different shield...

https://www.clearviewshields.com/abo...arview-shield/

Then you will need get a shield that fits you correctly...

https://www.clearviewshields.com/abo...shield-height/

I would recommend getting a shield with a vent. The idea is to decrease the pressure differential created behind the shield. ClearView and others offer different options...

https://www.clearviewshields.com/abo...hield-venting/

This guy had the vent installed below the horizontal brace (in the black)...

One thing to consider with location is windshield bags. If you want to install one, then you'll have to have the vent installed above the brace. This is what I did. The vent is a 5 position vent. You'll have to play with that to figure out which position works best. For me it was the second position from fully closed.

I also recommend the recurve...

https://www.clearviewshields.com/abo...ecurve-design/

ClearView shield for 2018+ Heritage...

https://www.clearviewshields.com/mot...size-brackets/

One thing to note when ordering. ClearView had a different shield shape (their original design) for their larger shields. Whether they still do that IDK. If you want the tombstone shape of the stock shield, I'd recommend you call them to make sure you get what you want. Here is what their original design shape looks like...

I can't say if the shield shape had any impact of performance. Might ask ClearView. You'll also have to custom order the blacked out area below the horizontal brace (if you want to match the stock shield).

As to the fangs... As you can see, I had the JES fangs on my bike. They are effective. In my mind, they are too effective. Heat is an issue with them. In particular, felt heat can be a problem. They make the rider's pocket pretty uncomfortable on hot summer days. Your crotch and right calve/leg will also get toasty. Do they also impact engine heat/cooling? That's harder to say - but I suspect they may have some impact. I removed them for both these reasons. For me the ClearView shield with vent cleaned the buffeting up to an acceptable level and I'm grateful for the remaining cooling air that gets to me.

Here's an experiment... Put your hands out - palms down - right in front of your knees. See what happens. Fangs will have an impact on this. But again, I would try addressing things with a custom shield first. If the results with the shield are good enough, I would leave it at that.

Anyway...

My 2 cents.
Thank you. Great points. Since I'm running the M8 air-cooled motor, you're right the thing gets plenty hot mid summer, esp sitting at a stop light, so if.fangs cut airflow to the engine too, they would create 2 more problems than they solve.

I read on mfg sites to pick shield height even with tip of nose, to get as high a shield as possible to still see over. I'll check my OEM shield height 1st. I think it is an 18" high shield. If top is below my nose, I'll get the closest height to my nose.

Is clearview better than MoCo aftermarket shields?

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread