The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 08:18 PM
Robertashby
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shuberth flip up helmet

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I read through the thread under the Softail Models gategory titled "Who Wears a full Face?" with great interest. However I kind of believe most of the responces were from the "other" softail owners that like to do 80 in a 40, race from red light to red light, split lanes, etc.
I for one is a believer that wearing a Helmet is necessary when riding a motorcycle of any kind even in a state like here in Florida where they are not mandated.
However, from my observations in this area, those riders that ride bent over on Crotch Rockets, naked bikes, etc. will wear a FF helmet, but most who ride sitting upright, with or without a windsheld of some type, on a touring style bike (if they wear a helmet at all here in Florida) wear half helmets of some type. Lots just use a non-DOT bennie.
For my first Helmet, when I bought my Heritage, I pruchased a H-D ultra ligh- weight Half helmet that has a built in flip down visor that is very confortable. They offered a FF convertable helmet also that I considered, but it just did not feel confortable wearing.
Also as a given and not wanting to start a debate, I can accept the reasoning that in this case, more is better...in other words a FF offers more protection than any helmet with less coverage. But...
My question then is: What style and brand of helmet that you, who ride a 2018 Heritage, wear? With maybe a litttle reasoning for your choice.
Thanks
shuberth flip up with built in radio.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:20 AM
RoxSy
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Shoei J-Cruise II with Cardo Freecom 4+
I relocated the speedometer to the handlebar (I put a FXBB digital speedo) so no more sight issues when checking speed.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:13 AM
Morish
Road Captain
Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

I ride with the Bell SRT modular helmet.
It doesn’t FN matter what anyone else rides with ride with the proper equipment that suits you.
I sold my 2019 Heritage and bought a 2021 Ultra Limited since I’m doing much longer destination rides and still wearing the same helmet.
I also have the Cardo Slime with the upgrade speakers. Since I bought the limited , i lesson to my music through the boom system which I upgraded to the stage 2.
Dress for the slide not the ride

Old 01-18-2022, 07:24 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,805 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Half helmet for 30+ years. Best enjoyment is a cup holder & cup of coffee on an early morning ride. Bought a full face Shoei to wear when riding an Adv bike. Was WTF when I realized the downside. Yeah, I am a whiney little bitch.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:51 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

When I was young, dumb and full of you know what, I rode a sport bike and wore a full face helmet. Now that I’m old, slow and ride a Harley I wear a half helmet.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle G.:
RENARELLO (04-20-2022), RoxSy (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 10:43 AM
drock87
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still finding what helmet I like best on this bike. I'd started with an older HJC RPHA90 that I'd bought when I bought my Triumph. As a "sportier" helmet, I was never happy on the Heritage with buffeting, even after changing the windshield and fangs. I got a Schuberth C3 Lite flip. It's comfy (except for one of my Cardo speakers which is stubborn) and has fixed the helmet buffeting except for strong, dirty wind, but it is HOT. The way the venting is on that helmet (which is the biggest complaint online), I basically get none behind the shield. I like it but am not thrilled. Thinking about trying either a Arai Classic V or maybe a Seers to have as an around-town/short trip lid and keeping the Schuberth for longer rides. I do like the idea of a full face though still.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:52 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 555 Likes on 352 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
When I was young, dumb and full of you know what, I rode a sport bike and wore a full face helmet. Now that I’m old, slow and ride a Harley I wear a half helmet.
Same. We've only been riding 8 or 9 years. Started with a 3/4 Bell (cheapest they had from Cycle Gear). That was ok for a few years until I became more comfortable with my riding skills and realized it was like wearing a blanket in the summer. I do keep it for the rare cold rides or expected rain. I quickly switched to a half helmet. But my head is very small so I had the "mushroom head" A few years ago I got the 'Crazy Al's' Still mushroom head to an extent but it looks much better.

If it is cold in the morning but nice in the afternoon, I add on a thin black headband to cover my ears. Yeah, say what you will LOL

With the half, I do get some wind in my ears, so I am considering special motorcycle riding earplugs for the longer rides.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:23 AM
drock87
6th Gear

Wanted to go back to a topic that has been brought up, but not for a while. I'd say some folks out there have a lot more miles under their belts with some of these seats. I'm 6'3 and every bit of a 34 inseam. I have a Tallboy seat on my Heritage, and while it positions me very well, it is not really the most comfortable seat for my butt. Want to hear from other taller riders on how their experiences have been with some miles put on the seats. I've seen a lot of mention from some other taller folk about Saddlemen Explorer and some with Mustangs. Also interested to hear from Corbin and Lepera owners of taller stature.

Here is a pic of me with the Tallboy to give an idea of the room. I'd love to find a higher quality seat that gives me the same room.

Last edited by drock87; 01-19-2022 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 01-19-2022, 11:35 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 555 Likes on 352 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by drock87
Wanted to go back to a topic that has been brought up, but not for a while. I'd say some folks out there have a lot more miles under their belts with some of these seats. I'm 6'3 and every bit of a 34 inseam. I have a Tallboy seat on my Heritage, and while it positions me very well, it is not really the most comfortable seat for my butt. Want to hear from other taller riders on how their experiences have been with some miles put on the seats. I've seen a lot of mention from some other taller folk about Saddlemen Explorer and some with Mustangs. Also interested to hear from Corbin and Lepera owners of taller stature.

Here is a pic of me with the Tallboy to give an idea of the room. I'd love to find a higher quality seat that gives me the same room.
I would add two comments. Again IMHO since you asked. If I understand your comment correctly, since the shape of the seat seems like it puts you where you want to be, and it is a comfort thing, I would suggest contacting Mean City Cycles. I have not pulled the trigger yet, but I am going to eventually. Long story short, I've had a recent tailbone injury. They receive your comments, your size, weight, inseam information...You send them your seat and they modify it to your liking. I have heard awesome comments here on HDforums and they are apparently THE people to see about anything regarding a seat mod. While you're at it, they can do re-leathering, custom stitching etc.

You didn't ask, but I would say based on your stature, a set of taller bars. At least mini apes would serve you well. I am 5'7" have 12" mini apes on my Wide Glide and I sit perfectly on that bike. I've seen pictures and apparently I have very good posture on it LOL

The following users liked this post:
drock87 (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 11:40 AM
drock87
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bduds65
I would add two comments. Again IMHO since you asked. If I understand your comment correctly, since the shape of the seat seems like it puts you where you want to be, and it is a comfort thing, I would suggest contacting Mean City Cycles. I have not pulled the trigger yet, but I am going to eventually. Long story short, I've had a recent tailbone injury. They receive your comments, your size, weight, inseam information...You send them your seat and they modify it to your liking. I have heard awesome comments here on HDforums and they are apparently THE people to see about anything regarding a seat mod. While you're at it, they can do re-leathering, custom stitching etc.

You didn't ask, but I would say based on your stature, a set of taller bars. At least mini apes would serve you well. I am 5'7" have 12" mini apes on my Wide Glide and I sit perfectly on that bike. I've seen pictures and apparently I have very good posture on it LOL
I've heard great things about Mean City Cycles. That might be the best bet.

So, about the bars, funny story...when I bought this bike (that was the day that photo was taken), it actually came from the previous owner with the Tallboy seat. They had the bars pulled WAY back...I thought "I thought this came with mini apes...theyre really low." I then moved them quite a bit forward and I sit much more upright now. But, I am tempted to do a 12" or even 14 mini ape.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread