2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 08:08 PM
jmatero
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lapinobel
Thanks for your reply, great analogy with a sportscar btw. I made a mistake thinking I could morph my Kawasaki Z900RS (a sporty, retro bike) into a do-it-all bike which was both a cruiser and a sportsbike, thinking the LRS would give me that. It in part does, but the Low Rider S (for me!) isn't at all comfortable. The suspension both front and rear is very hard and unforgiving on the crappy belgian roads, I constantly feel like I'm either too forward or too much backwards, I get cramps in my crotch etc. It's a fantastic looking bike but it just doesn't seem to fit me without modding it a lot. Added to that, I understand that a 'cruiser', which for me means calm rides, enjoying the scenery, doing some twisty roads and from time to time open up the throttle and take the wife on short trips, is not something that can compare to a sporty bike, however 'sporty' it's supposed to be.

Since the dealer offers me a somewhat decent price for my LRS when I buy a new Heritage, I think I'll do that first. If I still have the urge for a sporty bike, I think the best thing I can do is then buy a second bike for when I want to be a bit silly on my own, and use the Harley for my calm/2up rides. To be honest, I almost ordered a BMW R1250R, thinking that would offer me best of both worlds too, but I think I would make the same mistake, thinking a sporty bike can also offer the comfort of a 'pure' cruiser.

I just hope the heritage is indeed a lot more forgiving on the bad roads/bumps, so I don't get a constant feeling of discomfort like I do on the LRS. Trading up costs me about 7000 euro, so not exactly something I do without thought. But I do know I will enjoy a bike that offers me comfort, a nice seating position which doesn't wear me out after an hour and which provides enough comfort for my wife to go on a short (one day) ride with me. Also liked the Road King Special, especially since it had WAY less vibrations but my wife doesn't like the look of the fixed bags, and coupled with the fact that even dealer said the Heritage will probably be more comfortable for me, makes me think the Heritage is the way to go. Maybe the Road King is something I can trade up to in the future.
So... I had a 2019 Heritage Classic with the 107 and Stage-1 upgrade. LOVED that bike. But after a couple of years, I got the itch and thought it would be great to get something a little bigger with more wind protection. In March 2021 I traded it in for a Road Glide with the 107. Fast forward to today, and here are my thoughts:
  1. The suspension in the Harley Touring models is atrocious. The stock rear suspension will literally throw you from the saddle a foot in the air over bumps that my Heritage flowed right over with a thud. And the front suspension is so mushy that it nose dives violently (and often bottoms out) at the slightest pull on the front brake lever. I've spent almost $3000 on new suspension from Legend and it STILL is nowhere close to the Heritage.
  2. The wheelbase on both bikes is almost the same, but on the touring models you sit higher and further forward than in the Heritage. They purposely cramp the driver to gain more room for a passenger. I'm 5' 9 and my groin is pressed into the tank and you have to duck-toe the shifter and rear brake because the controls are set too far inward. Sit on both and you'll find the touring cramped as all hell and like you're sitting on a chair.
  3. The touring models are an absolute nightmare to move around in the garage. And God-forbid you are on even a couple degree decline and need to back it up... forget it.
  4. On curvy back roads, my Road Glide handles much better than my Heritage. It leans and takes curves better, I'll give it that.
  5. Wind management (as expected) is better on the RG. I was never able to stop the buffeting on the Heritage.
  6. Where the touring models shine is going 85+ mph on smooth highways. You feel nothing when Semi Trucks go by and won't budge much (if at all) in the wind.
  7. If you're considering a Road King Special, I'd highly advise you to try out the Indian Springfield Dark Horse. I've been a Harley guy for 35 years but am willing to concede the Indian rides 1000x better than the RKS.
  8. I absolutely regret my purchase and am debating between getting a new Heritage or possibly a Fat Bob (Also comfortable with long travel suspension).

Last edited by jmatero; 09-22-2021 at 08:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmatero:
HarleyDEU (01-15-2023), tngarren (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 08:17 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,805 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Originally Posted by jmatero
So... I had a 2019 Heritage Classic with the 107 and Stage-1 upgrade. LOVED that bike. But after a couple of years, I got the itch and thought it would be great to get something a little bigger with more wind protection. In March 2021 I traded it in for a Road Glide with the 107. Fast forward to today, and here are my thoughts:
  1. The suspension in the Harley Touring models is atrocious. The stock rear suspension will literally throw you from the saddle a foot in the air over bumps that my Heritage flowed right over with a thud. And the front suspension is so mushy that it nose dives violently (and often bottoms out) at the slightest pull on the front brake lever. I've spent almost $3000 on new suspension from Legend and it STILL is nowhere close to the Heritage.
  2. The wheelbase on both bikes is almost the same, but on the touring models you sit higher and further forward than in the Heritage. They purposely cramp the driver to gain more room for a passenger. I'm 5' 9 and my groin is pressed into the tank and you have to duck-toe the shifter and rear brake because the controls are set too far inward. Sit on both and you'll find the touring cramped as all hell and like you're sitting on a chair.
  3. The touring models are an absolute nightmare to move around in the garage. And God-forbid you are on even a couple degree decline and need to back it up... forget it.
  4. On curvy back roads, my Road Glide handles much better than my Heritage. It leans and takes curves better, I'll give it that.
  5. Wind management (as expected) is better on the RG. I was never able to stop the buffeting on the Heritage.
  6. I absolutely regret my purchase and am debating between getting a new Heritage or possibly a Fat Bob (Also comfortable with long travel suspension).
If riding 2 up, then Heritage. If just you, give the Multistrada a look. Really fun comfortable sport tourer. I'd be hard pressed to decide if I had to give up my Heritage or my Multi.

The following users liked this post:
cabgman (09-30-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 01:28 PM
LTBiker
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jmatero
  6. Where the touring models shine is going 85+ mph on smooth highways. You feel nothing when Semi Trucks go by and won't budge much (if at all) in the wind.
  7. If you're considering a Road King Special, I'd highly advise you to try out the Indian Springfield Dark Horse. I've been a Harley guy for 35 years but am willing to concede the Indian rides 1000x better than the RKS.
  8. I absolutely regret my purchase and am debating between getting a new Heritage or possibly a Fat Bob (Also comfortable with long travel suspension).
Very astute comments, ESPECIALLY about the Touring model suspension and moving them around garages or parking lots. I am back on a 2020 Heritage, and have gotten it set up where it works really well for me. I will say, from quite a bit of experience, that the suspension on the Indian TS models is so far superior to the H-D touring models that it's not a contest. I think the M8 Heritage suspension is pretty close to Indian, not quite as good, but close. Keep thinking about maybe picking up a nice '19 or '20 Electra Glide Standard.....less weight and back to the basics, and don't need or use all the Boom stuff anyway. But, why is the question! It's a disease!

Old 09-28-2021, 11:18 AM
asa1199
Tourer
Veteran: Army
Received 116 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Clearview Shields Opinions

Looking to buy
Pros And Cons

Old 09-29-2021, 04:39 AM
LTBiker
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by asa1199
Looking to buy
Pros And Cons
Pros:
Recurve at top
About 2+ inches wider than the OEM shield - little better side wind deflection
Can get the bottom half blacked out like the OEM if you like that look - costs a little more for that option
Available in 18" height - just a half-inch taller than stock (I was going to go with a Freedom, but they have 17" and 19" heights, and I didn't want to go shorter than stock or go up another 1.5")
Cons:
Took almost 3 weeks to get it - not a big deal. That's about it so far; about to take off on a road trip, so will know more afterward.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:00 AM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Best Bike

Favorite shop bike

One of the best bikes we’ve owned!!! & the Recurve Windshield isn’t bad either.

www.longrideshields.com

Old 09-30-2021, 08:30 PM
Rem600
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-2

Favorite shop bike

One of the best bikes we’ve owned!!! & the Recurve Windshield isn’t bad either.
maybe I’m way too tired? Never have seen a left handed Harley!

The following 5 users liked this post by Rem600:
Axle1980 (09-30-2021), MilkMan608 (10-01-2021), Rooster56 (09-30-2021), tmac00333 (10-01-2021), Uncle G. (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 09:23 PM
Beemertrash
Road Captain
Received 472 Likes on 232 Posts

You noticed that too ?

Old 10-01-2021, 02:57 PM
Rabianegra
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

That Harley lives in the mirror

Old 10-02-2021, 05:33 AM
slimpickings
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by asa1199
Looking to buy
Pros And Cons
I have one on my heritage, stock height with recurve and vent.

pros: it eliminated 90% of the buffeting I had with the stock one, and the build quality is much better. They can also make custom ones for you if you want different dims

cons: the vent is not exactly a looker. It works but the shield is not that easy on the eyes

The following users liked this post:
peteldoo (10-02-2021)

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread