2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 07:47 AM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by lapinobel
so guys, after a lot of test riding other brands/bikes, considering options and going back and forth between do I want a 'sensible' choice (for example a BMW GS) or a 'emotional' choice (stick with Harley), I have decided to trade in my Low Rider S for a Heritage 114. Reasons are the LRS is not comfortable enough for me, suspension is a bit too harsh, and seating position doesn't quite fit me. I would need pullback risers, different bars, different seat, passenger pegs for the wife, floorboards/forwards and then I still don't have luggage options, a screen, cruise control or a better suspension. So this all adds up that trading it for a Heritage will be a sensible choice. The Heritage has a better rear shock (this is correct right?), just an overall 'smoother' feel suspension/comfort wise, and has a good relaxed upright seating position which will be better for my back. And I can take the wife and luggage.

Anything I should be aware of? Do I make sense? According to the dealer I definitely do. I'm 173cm (5'8-ish) and weigh 71kg. I did a short testride (group test) on the Heritage and it definitely felt more plush suspension wise, hopped on a Road King right after that and difference was immediate, the Road King (and my LRS) felt way 'stiffer'.
I rode about 200 miles yesterday with most miles on my 2018 Softail Deluxe (basically same as Heritage stripped down new with 1" shorter seat height and shorter bars).
We swapped bikes from time to time others I rode were 2008 Street and 2017 Ultra Classic.

Even on these rough Louisiana roads there just wasn't much difference in how they absorbed the bumps and uglies in the road.

As far as ride you will definitely be pleased! A bit more wind as NOTHING can compete with the batwing. But if you go Heritage you can always have a batwing snap right onto your windshield mount and then you would have pretty much anything you want.

Ride Safe✌

Old 09-05-2021, 09:04 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

so guys, after a lot of test riding other brands/bikes, considering options and going back and forth between do I want a 'sensible' choice (for example a BMW GS) or a 'emotional' choice (stick with Harley), I have decided to trade in my Low Rider S for a Heritage 114. Reasons are the LRS is not comfortable enough for me, suspension is a bit too harsh, and seating position doesn't quite fit me. I would need pullback risers, different bars, different seat, passenger pegs for the wife, floorboards/forwards and then I still don't have luggage options, a screen, cruise control or a better suspension. So this all adds up that trading it for a Heritage will be a sensible choice. The Heritage has a better rear shock (this is correct right?), just an overall 'smoother' feel suspension/comfort wise, and has a good relaxed upright seating position which will be better for my back. And I can take the wife and luggage.

Anything I should be aware of? Do I make sense? According to the dealer I definitely do. I'm 173cm (5'8-ish) and weigh 71kg. I did a short testride (group test) on the Heritage and it definitely felt more plush suspension wise, hopped on a Road King right after that and difference was immediate, the Road King (and my LRS) felt way 'stiffer'.

Heritage is completely different than Low Rider S. They have different suspension, geometry, braking, etc. that completely changes the character of the bikes. Heritage is not anywhere close in terms of sportiness…and associated trade-off in comfort. For most people, especially those who ride 2-up, the Heritage is a better choice and has the bags for the little lady or the occasional weekend trip. The Low Rider S is the sports car of the Softail lineup. It is sprung a little stiffer to prevent wallowing in the twisties and offers more precise handling. This in no way makes it inferior, it is a design trade-off. The same principal applies in cars. Anyway, I would not hesitate to make the change if I was after comfort and more practical use.

One note on the Road King, you may have needed to adjust the suspension. The touring bikes are sprung a little different as to accommodate more weight for 2-up traveling. Your probably a little light for the stock preload settings. Having said that, i do believe the Heritage is sprung a little softer and unless you dial in some preload will ride softer.

Last edited by stratplexi; 09-05-2021 at 09:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 10:06 AM
lapinobel
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for your reply, great analogy with a sportscar btw. I made a mistake thinking I could morph my Kawasaki Z900RS (a sporty, retro bike) into a do-it-all bike which was both a cruiser and a sportsbike, thinking the LRS would give me that. It in part does, but the Low Rider S (for me!) isn't at all comfortable. The suspension both front and rear is very hard and unforgiving on the crappy belgian roads, I constantly feel like I'm either too forward or too much backwards, I get cramps in my crotch etc. It's a fantastic looking bike but it just doesn't seem to fit me without modding it a lot. Added to that, I understand that a 'cruiser', which for me means calm rides, enjoying the scenery, doing some twisty roads and from time to time open up the throttle and take the wife on short trips, is not something that can compare to a sporty bike, however 'sporty' it's supposed to be.

Since the dealer offers me a somewhat decent price for my LRS when I buy a new Heritage, I think I'll do that first. If I still have the urge for a sporty bike, I think the best thing I can do is then buy a second bike for when I want to be a bit silly on my own, and use the Harley for my calm/2up rides. To be honest, I almost ordered a BMW R1250R, thinking that would offer me best of both worlds too, but I think I would make the same mistake, thinking a sporty bike can also offer the comfort of a 'pure' cruiser.

I just hope the heritage is indeed a lot more forgiving on the bad roads/bumps, so I don't get a constant feeling of discomfort like I do on the LRS. Trading up costs me about 7000 euro, so not exactly something I do without thought. But I do know I will enjoy a bike that offers me comfort, a nice seating position which doesn't wear me out after an hour and which provides enough comfort for my wife to go on a short (one day) ride with me.

Also liked the Road King Special, especially since it had WAY less vibrations but my wife doesn't like the look of the fixed bags, and coupled with the fact that even dealer said the Heritage will probably be more comfortable for me, makes me think the Heritage is the way to go. Maybe the Road King is something I can trade up to in the future.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:26 AM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

Thanks for your reply, great analogy with a sportscar btw. I made a mistake thinking I could morph my Kawasaki Z900RS (a sporty, retro bike) into a do-it-all bike which was both a cruiser and a sportsbike, thinking the LRS would give me that. It in part does, but the Low Rider S (for me!) isn't at all comfortable. The suspension both front and rear is very hard and unforgiving on the crappy belgian roads, I constantly feel like I'm either too forward or too much backwards, I get cramps in my crotch etc. It's a fantastic looking bike but it just doesn't seem to fit me without modding it a lot. Added to that, I understand that a 'cruiser', which for me means calm rides, enjoying the scenery, doing some twisty roads and from time to time open up the throttle and take the wife on short trips, is not something that can compare to a sporty bike, however 'sporty' it's supposed to be.

Since the dealer offers me a somewhat decent price for my LRS when I buy a new Heritage, I think I'll do that first. If I still have the urge for a sporty bike, I think the best thing I can do is then buy a second bike for when I want to be a bit silly on my own, and use the Harley for my calm/2up rides. To be honest, I almost ordered a BMW R1250R, thinking that would offer me best of both worlds too, but I think I would make the same mistake, thinking a sporty bike can also offer the comfort of a 'pure' cruiser.

I just hope the heritage is indeed a lot more forgiving on the bad roads/bumps, so I don't get a constant feeling of discomfort like I do on the LRS. Trading up costs me about 7000 euro, so not exactly something I do without thought. But I do know I will enjoy a bike that offers me comfort, a nice seating position which doesn't wear me out after an hour and which provides enough comfort for my wife to go on a short (one day) ride with me.

Also liked the Road King Special, especially since it had WAY less vibrations but my wife doesn't like the look of the fixed bags, and coupled with the fact that even dealer said the Heritage will probably be more comfortable for me, makes me think the Heritage is the way to go. Maybe the Road King is something I can trade up to in the future.
Other than better saddlebags you won't ever want the Roadking over your Heritage especially riding alone. The power to weight ratio will keep you in your thrill zone and comfort riding alone is much better as you sit in the bike instead of on the bike. And a Stage 2 with a Woods 22x or like would have you over the top! Even the simple stage 1 is very noticeable!
Ride Safe✌

Old 09-05-2021, 11:45 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I've had a mess of motorcycles over the decades including a bunch of Harleys and the Heritage 114 is the best bike I've ever had. You cannot go wrong with one.

The following 4 users liked this post by tmac00333:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (09-05-2021), Dujar (09-07-2021), priell3 (09-06-2021), roox (09-06-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 01:06 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

I think you will be happy. I have owned a lot of different Harley models and currently own the CVO Road King and a Heritage. These are my 2 favorite Harley models and I could be happy with owning either one by itself. I don’t think you will necessarily need to trade the Heritage for a Road King. There is a lot of overlap and while they are different, most riders can enjoy either model equally. Also, physical size comes into play. The Heritage is a little lighter with a lower CG and seat height. The Heritage is sprung with softer suspension and has more rake with reduced lean angle. By comparison, the Road King handles better and feels like it is sportier even though it is heavier. The steeper rake and frame geometry make it quicker handling and can generally do a smaller turn radius if you go full lock. As a full touring frame, it is designed for long haul comfort and weight. The hard bags are better suited for traveling and will hold more without any fuss but I have traveled on both models 2-up with no problems. People complain of wind but I prefer some wind, rain, heat and elements over the batwing (owned several) and want the full experience when riding. If I wanted comfort I would buy a Goldwing…lol. Best of luck on the new ride. Please post pics.

tngarren (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 12:20 AM
lapinobel
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds good, the most important thing for me is getting rid of my backpain due to the harsh suspension on the LRS. Btw, would a FatBoy be as comfortable? Or is the FatBoy not that plush suspension wise?

Last edited by lapinobel; 09-06-2021 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:56 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,805 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Originally Posted by LTBiker
After buying and selling several M8 Heritages (retirement hobby - made at least some money on all of them), looks like I've found a keeper, so am finishing up getting it set up exactly how I want it. All that's remaining is adding a Sport luggage rack and a Recurve windshield.....both ordered already, then time for a road trip. Don't know if I can pinpoint exactly why this one is the one, but probably it's the paint color, already was set up nicely, including the Bassani Road Rage 2-into-1 with RS air cleaner and V&H Tuner, already had the Engine Guard and H-Fast Sissy Bar, and Ultimate seats with backrest. I've added the grips, pull-back risers, highway pegs, laydown license plate holder, windshield bag, and knockoff gloss black fangs (learned the hard way you can't drill the extra hole in a straight line down!). With the 2 items on the way, that should be it (famous last words, I know).

In my mid-70's now and at 150 lbs, just wasn't feeling very comfortable any longer with the 800+ lb bikes, plus it's so much easier with this Heritage to access the rear wheel valve stem than anything I've been riding the past 30+ years. And, the rear suspension on the Heritage is pretty darn good I think.....important if your lower back is fused.

Lot of good info and input in this thread.
Yes sir, she is a keeper. Beautiful bike. For one up riding, I'd replace the sissy bar and pillion with a black Motherwell 7" rack. Remove those bags for "around town" riding and she will be the belle of the ball.

priell3 (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 08:13 AM
MilkMan608
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dujar
Those fangs on Milkmans Heritage appear to go all the way up to the windshield. Must not be JES?
Bought them on eBay. Still available. Work well for me . Search for Harley Davidson fork mounted wind deflectors. (From Lithuania. Powder coat could be smoother, but I like the style. Similar to HD's.)

Dujar (09-07-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 02:16 PM
priell3
Road Master
Received 1,809 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
For one up riding, I'd replace the sissy bar and pillion with a black Motherwell 7" rack.
Pretty much what I did and I went so far as to remove the passenger pegs.

tngarren (09-06-2021)

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread