2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 03:31 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Agreed. All anybody has to do is just put your hand down at a 90 degree angle, palm down, just to the right or left of the tank, a little higher, and feel the blast. You block that, you block the buffeting, a lot of it anyway. I have to think the light bar on the newer Heritages has something to do with the lesser lift. I think it breaks the wind up a little.
I've also found that the "fold over" lapels on the "old school" motorcycle jacket help to break up the upward flow of air and deflect it away from my face.a bit. Also, I wear a fairly close fitting half helmet which is not prone to being shaken by the updraft, so it's not an issue to me.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:46 PM
GrenV
Cruiser
Received 130 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MilkMan608
Purchased and installed on my 2020 Heritage 114.

That is a dynamite looking heritage. Love the bags. Nice job!!

Old 07-16-2021, 08:16 PM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by drock87
Not sure on your height, but I am 6'3" so my head was pretty much in fresh air with the stock shield. Most of my buffeting I found was from below, plus I wasn't really getting the benefits of the shield for what I wanted (I actually came from a Bonneville and had a Dart Flyscreen on it). I went with a 20" Rifle shield. It solved a lot of buffeting (I could have and sort of regret not going taller) but in some situations it was still there. I just installed JES deflectors (fangs) and they have pretty much solved it. I haven't ridden without the windshield yet to see what side effects they cause without it, but I only ride without the shield in town anyway. Super happy with both purchases. Congrats on your Heritage!

I should note that helmets do make a difference. I'd had my HJC RPHA ST from my Triumph and felt it wasn't real smooth in the more upright position on the Harley. I just got a Schuberth C3 Lite and like it better except for airflow (seems a little warmer)
I was able to get a ride on a used 107 today. I was able to get on interstate for about 15 miles. I set cruise on about 77. Lots of trucks to dodge. Based on that ride, there wasn't an inordinate amount of wind buffeting. I could read the signs, and my head wasn't getting beat up. I did feel the wind coming from around the tank, but it wasn't a big deal. It was worse when I got stuck in dirty air. Now, I don't know if that is the end all/be all demo, but I just pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a deal killer. At least, not yet.
FYI I'm 5'11" and I wear HJC RPHA 11 fullface helmet.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:06 AM
MilkMan608
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 702sparky
The bags look great on that scoot!

What brand engine guard and saddle bag guards are those? Is that a plastic corner protector or double layer metal?
Those are factory accessory engine and saddlebag guards with Pro Guards plastic protectors for when I'm pretending to be "Motorcycle Man" Jerry Palladino.

Last edited by MilkMan608; 07-17-2021 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:29 AM
priell3
Road Master
Received 1,809 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by triumph900
Question about reports of buffeting with Heritage. I haven't had an opportunity to get a demo on highway with Heritage. i see there are many threads about wind/windscreens/fangs etc. Has anyone tried a shorter than stock screen? I ask because I owned a Triumph America LT, which came with a screen probably taller than Heritage. It was awful, lots of buffeting and it hit at eye level. I switched it to Triumph Summer Screen, which is much shorter, about 11" above headlamp. I get more wind obviously, but the buffeting is nowhere near as bad. I wondered if this might be a similar result with Heritage.
I'm 5'8" and don't have any problem with the wind with the stock windshield or coming up from around the tank. I don't mind a little wind. That's why I'm on the bike instead of in a cage.

The following 2 users liked this post by priell3:
Uncle G. (07-17-2021), wmprof (08-07-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 07:31 AM
Streak611
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guys! Guys! I'm new! Let me state right up front so everybody knows which camp I'm in: I like the dog bowl! I won't apologize for it!

Great thread here. Found a middle visor that I've been looking for. Found a nifty little tank bib/pouch. Read a lot of great info.

Here's what I got: 2020 Heritage 114 bought at the end of last October. Absolutely love it. Checked all my boxes. I sort stumbled into it. I started on a Rebel 500 last April as my first real street bike. Fun little thing and it served it's purpose. Sold it after a test ride on the Heritage. I assumed I would not be able to ride a bike as heavy as any Harley but these things are so well thought out that I was amazing and snickering with delight the as soon as I got it rolling in the parking lot. Amazingly manageable machine.

What I've done: Stage 1, passing lamp/tail light visors, knock off Harley fork wind deflectors (buffeting almost totally gone), Motherwell rack, Harley quick detach system with sissy bar. I had the grasshopper backrest but have taken it off.

Ive got 7500 miles on it and the only gripe I have is the back tire is almost done already. I'm not going to get anything close to the mileage others seem to have gotten. I'm also not a fan of these in the rain.

Otherwise just a brilliant machine.

I may get clamps that move the handle bars back a bit or a seat that moves me forward as I'm 5'6 and in slow maneuvers my outside hand is really reaching. Have to scoot forward to turn the bars all the way.

Also I want white walls. If my tire holds up I'll get them at the 10K service. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance and happy to be a Heritage owner!

Old 07-25-2021, 10:49 AM
Streak611
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So I posted about my Heritage with pictures and everything and I got a "needs moderator approval" and my post never showed up.

Is this normal?

Old 07-25-2021, 11:46 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak611
So I posted about my Heritage with pictures and everything and I got a "needs moderator approval" and my post never showed up.

Is this normal?
I'm afraid we're going to need to see some identification, sir.

The following users liked this post:
Streak611 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 12:24 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak611

Is this normal?
You should probably post this question under “Forum issues,” where you will be more likely to get an answer.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:10 AM
Rando375
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread