2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 10:03 AM
Morish
Road Captain
Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

Yes, that’s why I went with the ClearView 18.5 GT curved windshield with vent. Much better than stock and I also added JES lower wind deflectors.
im 6’ tall so depending on your height, you might be able to go with their 16.5 windshield or higher.
I bought a 2021 Ultra Limited and I ordered stock height curved windshield from ClearView for my Limited.
BTW, I have a 16.5 ClearView clear GT curved with vent I can sell you cheap. I used to have a 2014 Heritage with a ClearView windshield. I went with the same size that was on my 2014 . Well I sit higher on my 2019 and had to order the 18.5.
if your interested let me know.
‘Good luck

The following users liked this post:
triumph900 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:13 AM
GrenV
Cruiser
Received 130 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by triumph900
Question about reports of buffeting with Heritage. I haven't had an opportunity to get a demo on highway with Heritage. i see there are many threads about wind/windscreens/fangs etc. Has anyone tried a shorter than stock screen? I ask because I owned a Triumph America LT, which came with a screen probably taller than Heritage. It was awful, lots of buffeting and it hit at eye level. I switched it to Triumph Summer Screen, which is much shorter, about 11" above headlamp. I get more wind obviously, but the buffeting is nowhere near as bad. I wondered if this might be a similar result with Heritage.
Yes, I went with a Freedom Shields 15". Great shield. You do get more air hitting your helmet, but it is cleaner so less buffeting. Overall, a smoother ride. I bought extra brackets (used from classified) and also have a Freedom Shields 19" that I use if the weather is bad, or if I want more bug protection. I was surprised how well the 15" worked,

The following 2 users liked this post by GrenV:
Morish (07-16-2021), triumph900 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 11:36 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Question about reports of buffeting with Heritage. I haven't had an opportunity to get a demo on highway with Heritage. i see there are many threads about wind/windscreens/fangs etc. Has anyone tried a shorter than stock screen? I ask because I owned a Triumph America LT, which came with a screen probably taller than Heritage. It was awful, lots of buffeting and it hit at eye level. I switched it to Triumph Summer Screen, which is much shorter, about 11" above headlamp. I get more wind obviously, but the buffeting is nowhere near as bad. I wondered if this might be a similar result with Heritage.
You'll get a hundred different answers. Myself, I've never had a problem with buffeting on my Heritage with the stock shield. I take it off sometimes when I'm driving around town. I'd suggest trying it out before you make any costly moves...

The following 2 users liked this post by tmac00333:
NAPRA (07-16-2021), tngarren (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 11:57 AM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
You'll get a hundred different answers. Myself, I've never had a problem with buffeting on my Heritage with the stock shield. I take it off sometimes when I'm driving around town. I'd suggest trying it out before you make any costly moves...
I certainly will.
I know everyone has a different experience with things like this. I just hope if it does happen to me, I'll be able to resolve it!

Old 07-16-2021, 12:58 PM
MilkMan608
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Iron Bags IronMax Bags Review

Purchased and installed on my 2020 Heritage 114.
Not inexpensive, but quality and fitment are excellent. Customer service is unparalleled. Donna is responsive, knowledgeable, and helpful. I highly recommend this company and their products. You get what you pay for! Compatible with factory removable backrest and rear crash guards.
Built to clear factory exhaust, no need to convert to a two-into-one pipe. In my case, running Rinehart slip-ons.

Last edited by MilkMan608; 07-16-2021 at 01:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MilkMan608:
East Coast Chuck (07-16-2021), priell3 (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 01:04 PM
drock87
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure on your height, but I am 6'3" so my head was pretty much in fresh air with the stock shield. Most of my buffeting I found was from below, plus I wasn't really getting the benefits of the shield for what I wanted (I actually came from a Bonneville and had a Dart Flyscreen on it). I went with a 20" Rifle shield. It solved a lot of buffeting (I could have and sort of regret not going taller) but in some situations it was still there. I just installed JES deflectors (fangs) and they have pretty much solved it. I haven't ridden without the windshield yet to see what side effects they cause without it, but I only ride without the shield in town anyway. Super happy with both purchases. Congrats on your Heritage!

I should note that helmets do make a difference. I'd had my HJC RPHA ST from my Triumph and felt it wasn't real smooth in the more upright position on the Harley. I just got a Schuberth C3 Lite and like it better except for airflow (seems a little warmer)

Old 07-16-2021, 01:14 PM
702sparky
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MilkMan608
Purchased and installed on my 2020 Heritage 114.
Not inexpensive, but quality and fitment are excellent. Customer service is unparalleled. Donna is responsive, knowledgeable, and helpful. I highly recommend this company and their products. You get what you pay for! Compatible with factory removable backrest and rear crash guards.
Built to clear factory exhaust, no need to convert to a two-into-one pipe. In my case, running Rinehart slip-ons.

The bags look great on that scoot!

What brand engine guard and saddle bag guards are those? Is that a plastic corner protector or double layer metal?

Morish (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 01:36 PM
Morish
Road Captain
Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

Sweet bags

Old 07-16-2021, 01:41 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
From what I’ve gleaned from these discussions, buffeting seems to be an issue when you combine the windshield with a full face helmet. The air coming up from beneath the windshield hits the bottom of the helmet, causing the buffeting. At least that’s my impression. I don’t really know because I wear a half helmet and have used the Harley-Davidson windshield since 1998 and have never had a problem with buffeting.

tngarren (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 03:15 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
From what I’ve gleaned from these discussions, buffeting seems to be an issue when you combine the windshield with a full face helmet. The air coming up from beneath the windshield hits the bottom of the helmet, causing the buffeting. At least that’s my impression. I don’t really know because I wear a half helmet and have used the Harley-Davidson windshield since 1998 and have never had a problem with buffeting.
Agreed. All anybody has to do is just put your hand down at a 90 degree angle, palm down, just to the right or left of the tank, a little higher, and feel the blast. You block that, you block the buffeting, a lot of it anyway. I have to think the light bar on the newer Heritages has something to do with the lesser lift. I think it breaks the wind up a little.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread