2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:17 AM
almico
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm ordering a pro street tuner and Smart auto tuner to go with the Stage III kit. I'm pondering my exhaust situation. I was thinking of:

1) Modifying the stock exhaust by removing the baffles and installing some DK Custom TTIs. Cheap, possibly too loud. No going back.
2) Order some Street Cannons - (Short or long?) Maintains warranty. Low pitch, not too loud.
3) Rinehart 3.5" slip ons. Seem pretty popular - possible warranty issue.

My question is do my stock slip ons have an resale value if I buy the street cannons or Rineharts? Can I retrieve some of the expense by selling them? What might they be worth?

Old 04-26-2018, 11:59 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by almico
Mine...

Anyone need a stock windshield? I need one about 3" longer. 6'2" and long in the torso.

Buffeting problems?

Old 04-26-2018, 12:29 PM
almico
Advanced

Originally Posted by T^2
Buffeting problems?
If I didn't have a chin strap, my helmet wouldn't make the entire trip.

I used a Clearview vented windshield on my last bike for many years and loved it. They come 3" wider too for a bit of hand protection. It was 50* when I left my house at 6am for a 45 minute ride to work. The first 35 were great.

Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
moose545 (12-24-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 01:49 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

If I didn't have a chin strap, my helmet wouldn't make the entire trip.

I used a Clearview vented windshield on my last bike for many years and loved it. They come 3" wider too for a bit of hand protection. It was 50* when I left my house at 6am for a 45 minute ride to work. The first 35 were great.

Oh... because if it was buffeting - the issue seems to manifest mostly due to the air come up from underneath and around the tank. The most common - and seemingly most effective - solution to this are the 'fangs' (fork wind deflectors).

The following 2 users liked this post by T^2:
almico (04-26-2018), Order66 (03-19-2023)
Old 04-26-2018, 03:24 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm ordering a pro street tuner and Smart auto tuner to go with the Stage III kit. I'm pondering my exhaust situation. I was thinking of:

1) Modifying the stock exhaust by removing the baffles and installing some DK Custom TTIs. Cheap, possibly too loud. No going back.
2) Order some Street Cannons - (Short or long?) Maintains warranty. Low pitch, not too loud.

My question is do my stock slip ons have an resale value if I buy the street cannons or Rineharts? Can I retrieve some of the expense by selling them? What might they be worth?
I tried #1 and did not enjoy the tone at all. Sounded terrible imo. I’m a fan of DK TTIs and used them on other bikes happily, but the gutted stockers just sounded terrible even with the TTI....

Everything but Canons will screw up the warranty....

They sound “ok”.....

Old 04-26-2018, 04:27 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Might want to scratch beneath the surface of what that "Smart Tune Pro ATM" does, particularly in context of the EPA constraints and in light of what the stock system already provides you. It's not a purchase that I'd make.

Some exhaust theory...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=960.0
http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...technology.htm

If you read some theory on this, you might realize that an exhaust system - and it's design - is more complex that it appears. Given that, the idea of hacking/modifying Willie-Nillie might not seem like such a good idea. TTI's can have positive effects by damping reversion, but they're not be all/fix all magic lollipops.

One potential good option - especially if warranty is a concern.

Yes, potential warranty issue. I heard/read virtually no reports of sumping or transmission fluid transfer with the Softail M8's. Nevertheless, its a new design. I'd be wanting to protect the warranty if it were me.

Depends. But I wouldn't expect much.

Last edited by T^2; 04-26-2018 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
almico (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 05:15 PM
almico
Advanced

Originally Posted by T^2
Might want to scratch beneath the surface of what that "Smart Tune Pro ATM" does, particularly in context of the EPA constraints and in light of what the stock system already provides you. It's not a purchase that I'd make.
I was going by Laidlaw Jamie's comments starting at 6:30 of this video
where he says he feels "this is the best tuning system available right now". I like the idea that is optimizes tuning conditions on the fly depending on components, altitude, load conditions etc.

But obviously, he's not concerned with the "W" word.

Last edited by almico; 04-26-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:27 PM
almico
Advanced

Originally Posted by T^2
Oh... because if it was buffeting - the issue seems to manifest mostly due to the air come up from underneath and around the tank. The most common - and seemingly most effective - solution to this are the 'fangs' (fork wind deflectors).
I ordered a set of black ones this morning, thinking it would help deflect wind from my legs. I did not think about the updraft from the tank. I noticed that on this afternoons ride home from work. Glad they will also help with that. I need to stop reading this thread. Its costing me a small fortune!

Old 04-26-2018, 06:16 PM
BCC1
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I was going by Laidlaw Jamie's comments starting at 6:30 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLXX6XVAeOs&t=249s where he says he feels "this is the best tuning system available right now". I like the idea that is optimizes tuning conditions on the fly depending on components, altitude, load conditions etc.

But obviously, he's not concerned with the "W" word.
I have it on my stage II with the SE torque cam. The bike performs flawlessly. On the gas, off the gas high rpm, low rpm, accelerating, decelerating. High humidity (Florida) or low.

Is it better because of it? Dunno. I’m happy, the bike flys, it was a one time sunk cost, my tech recommended it, and life is good.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:34 PM
almico
Advanced

Originally Posted by BCC1
my tech recommended it, and life is good.
The tech at my dealership really likes the FP3 and TTS, but cautioned me about the you know what. He said the issue with just the pro street tuner is the narrow band it can handle. Maybe the Smart Tune Pro, with the wide band O2 sensors, make up for that.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread