The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 07:05 PM
Lcolon900
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Burbur2
Yes I was the one that seen post on FB from the dude that tried with added hole on back side of speedo and reported never have a problem again. He mentioned one small hole did the trick for him.

please be so kind and report back after more testing as hundreds of us wait for this fix
Definitively, this is what we are here for. I'll explain below what I did so if it works others may risk it too.

Took out the speedo, if looking at speedo from below (under part, bottom, were the plug gets connected), on north side (towards handlebar) drilled a 1/16" hole, very careful there as electronics are just past the casing. Then now looking at speedo from the side, so you have glass part top, and bottom down, look for south of speedo (side that faces the seat). about 1/4 inch under the crimped metal ring that holds the glass in place, drilled 2 x 1/16" holes (this is the side of the unit, not under). These 2 holes will seat just below the rubber gasket were the speedo sits in the metal housing that rests on the tank. My mindset is that this should create a pressure differential between the front and back holes (same concept as full face helmets with rear vents) rear larger flow capacity than front creates a vacuum that keeps air moving. If it works, air inside speedo should be same as outside therefore no condensation should occur. If it does not work, then HD just made another piece of crap component and you are better of by replacing with a quality-built speedo from an aftermarket source. I'll keep all informed. By the way I also made engine breather reroute for my bike, look for my post, I think is under breather warranty posts.. or something like that. It works great. Just trying good folks who have spent good hard earned money on these bikes.

The following users liked this post:
Burbur2 (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 09:55 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,927 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Here's a pic.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:32 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

So where to drill the holes? Could you show what was drilled?

Old 11-25-2020, 10:36 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,927 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
So where to drill the holes? Could you show what was drilled?
The picture explains enough for me to drill next time I have my console off.
I don't have any more details except for the picture.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:39 AM
Morish
Road Captain
Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

I call it Harley syndrome. Every Softail I have owned including my 2019 Heritage 114, condensation city.
I’m going to change mine out for one of these. I’m leaning towards the Dakota. Property taxes due 1/5 and in February auto insurance 4 cars boat bike.
Before the speedometer, I’m going to replace my spokes to Southern Machine wheels.
Enjoy the Ride
Happy Thanksgiving y’all.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:38 PM
Lcolon900
Intermediate

I love the KOSO HD-05 very likely that's what I'll put in, if the holes don't work. The holes I did on speedo are same size as those in photo but one on true north and center by the rear of the plug female connector, and 2 on the side that faces south 1/4" down from the crimped rim. This photo above is showing has a total of 7 holes and all along bottom of speedo unit. A little different than what I did. I'll be ridding tomorrow and Saturday so I may know quick if it worked. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (11-26-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 09:56 PM
Hadye
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S0L01984
I'm actually thinking about just biting the bullet and buying the tour pak. I've tried the sissy bar/ rack combo and, in my opinion, Its just too small. If I had to do it all over, I'd just spend the money and get the tour pak.

Is that a Mustang Passenger Pillion and you kept the stock seat? I am actually thinking of the same idea.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:32 AM
LoupGarou
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

My Speedo story goes like this. I thought I would remove the internals and let everything sit in dessicant. Removing the lens was difficult and I do not recommend it, plus the internals would not come out. I put the lens back on and let the speedo sit in a tupperware container with dessicant for a couple days. I sealed the back of the wiring plug where the wires go in with silicone and put vaseline on the gasket of the plug to improve the seal. Follow up to come later.

If this does not work I will go with the holes.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:37 AM
rico1969
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the Viking pack and very happy with it. It is large but when I tour I want the extra room as the saddle bags offer nothing. It is detachable with harley mount so if I want a slicker look there it is.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:34 PM
Lcolon900
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LoupGarou
My Speedo story goes like this. I thought I would remove the internals and let everything sit in dessicant. Removing the lens was difficult and I do not recommend it, plus the internals would not come out. I put the lens back on and let the speedo sit in a tupperware container with dessicant for a couple days. I sealed the back of the wiring plug where the wires go in with silicone and put vaseline on the gasket of the plug to improve the seal. Follow up to come later.

If this does not work I will go with the holes.
I did similar to what you did, pulled it apart, dried, put back together (messed the metal chrome ring in the process, crimped it at various places), and added vaseline to plug, but I did not use silicone in the back of the wiring plug (speedo side, thought about it too). For me it did not worked at all. I did drill holes as stated above, and out of yesterday's ride no condensation at all. but it was only a couple of hours and weather here got dry and cold for south Florida. So I cant claim victory on the holes , just yet. Thanks.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread