To what/whom is this question directed?
Sorry.....you

Old 03-03-2020, 08:02 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyjm
Sorry.....you
If you are asking if the fangs are effective... We'll I've tested them with the stock shield, the Freedom shield, and the first Clearview shield. I've rode with just the shield in place and with the shield + fangs. In each case the fangs made a significant difference. So much so I wouldn't want to ride without the fangs in place. The only shield I haven't tested with the fangs removed is with the current Clearview shield that I provided photos of. As I mentioned I'll probably also test that shield without the fangs when summer rolls around. If I had to bet, I'd bet that the fangs + shield combination will still win out.

The following users liked this post:
leftyjm (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 09:21 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Chances you'll have wind buffeting? Depends. There are various parameters involved. It's possible that they'll all line up right and you'll have buffeting. How your seat sits you (up, down, forward, back), how your handlebars affect your seating position/posture, where the top of the windshield is in relation to your nose, the helmet you wear, etc., can determine the outcome.

Piece of advice... If you have buffeting problems, make sure you sort out the other contributing factors and potential solutions before you address the windshield.

I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 5'7" to 5'8". I had sever buffeting in the stock configuration. First step I took to solve the problem - fangs (in my case JES Customs). The fangs help a lot but don't totally eliminate the problem. I tried a recurve windshield from Freedom Shields. Didn't get the job done for me. I then tried a Clearview Shield with recurve and vent. Huge improvement. Pretty much resolved the issue. However, the taller Clearview Shield shape is based on an older design. I didn't care for the looks of it. Plus I was simultaneously going through the teething pains of getting the seating right. Seats impact your relationship with the windshield height. Once I was able to get the seating right, I was then able to determine the correct windshield height. I special ordered a Clearview Shield with recurve, vent, and the shape of the stock shield (tombstone). Problem solved.

About that vent... The idea behind it is that it relieves a low pressure zone the forms behind the shield. This low pressure causes turbulence in the airflow over the shield. Bottom line, it works. The vent is 5 position. You have to find the sweet spot. For me it's two positions from completely closed.

The current setup works fantastic. I still get plenty of air behind the shield (plenty good for hot days) and it's not turbulent. Sometime this summer I'll probably try the windshield on it's own to see how it performs without the aid of the fangs (fangs are really focused on controlling the air the comes from underneath, up the side of the tanks, and into your chest and face). If it renders the fangs superfluous, then I may just lose them.
Good info here. I thought about same shield but with vent under the horizontal part of the bracket holding shield. I think this will look better. Wonder if they sell vent only I would cut my stock to try it as I dont care about black bottom and though about replacing it anyway.

Does anyone knows where I can buy vent only?

Last edited by Burbur2; 03-03-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:29 PM
RoxSy
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by martywild1
One of the techs at my local dealership fitted some Sporty 48 wheels on a Heritage as a mock up for a friend of mine last week as they are a straight fit, they looked okay.
Did you have the chance too see the bike and get us some pics ?

Old 03-03-2020, 10:23 PM
Hlgsn1
Tourer
Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by martywild1
I can speak to my buddy be a couple of days
been a couple days.....looking forward to hearing more about this.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:36 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Burbur2
Good info here. I thought about same shield but with vent under the horizontal part of the bracket holding shield. I think this will look better. Wonder if they sell vent only I would cut my stock to try it as I dont care about black bottom and though about replacing it anyway.

Does anyone knows where I can buy vent only?
I believe Clearview might sell you the vent (check their website or give them a call). Clearview will also sell you a windshield with the vent mounted below the horizontal bracket (it's a custom order). They say it works fine in that position (I can't tell you for certain - never tried it). Downside - you won't be able to install a windshield bag with the vent below the bracket. You could cut a hole in the stock shield to mount the vent, but the stock shield won't be a recurve. If it were me, I'd make sure that I've determined the right height and then I would order a Clearview recurve with vent (these shields aren't terribly expensive). I went with the vent above the bracket because I may want to install a windshield bag. One other note - custom orders are not returnable.

Last edited by T^2; 03-04-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:08 PM
RoxSy
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hlgsn1
been a couple days.....looking forward to hearing more about this.
Me too :-)

Old 03-04-2020, 08:15 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

In case you might consider Clearview Shields... Here is the default (older) design shape of the larger shields vs. the tombstone shape of the stock shield...

Default(older):

Tombstone/Stock (custom order):

The default (older) shield shape looks like a woman's fingernail to me. I didn't care for it. If you don't care for the default/older shape, you may need to contact Clearview directly and discuss it with them so you get what you want.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:37 PM
martywild1
Intermediate
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Not seen by buddy as yet the weather has been dreadful here in the UK will try and seek him out on Saturday

Old 03-05-2020, 04:15 PM
martywild1
Intermediate
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are the pictures of the Heritage fitted with Sportster 48 wheels
Marty

The following 6 users liked this post by martywild1:
CB5150 (12-22-2022), frontiercat (03-15-2020), Guthrie52 (02-16-2021), Josh2021 (03-09-2020), jusa (03-06-2020), not_so_newb (03-06-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread