2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 10:00 AM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 571 Likes on 314 Posts

Does anybody have a torque spec on the two mounting bolts for the muffler bracket? I need to pick up a service manual one of these days.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:14 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,226 Likes on 2,315 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo83
Does anybody have a torque spec on the two mounting bolts for the muffler bracket? I need to pick up a service manual one of these days.
119-144 inch-pounds

The following users liked this post:
Gizmo83 (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 10:21 AM
Gizmo83
Road Master

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
119-144 inch-pounds
Thank you! Is that for the four bolts that attach the slip ons to the bracket or the two larger ones that attach the bracket to the frame?

Old 01-05-2020, 10:39 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,226 Likes on 2,315 Posts

Thank you! Is that for the four bolts that attach the slip ons to the bracket or the two larger ones that attach the bracket to the frame?
The four bolts that secure the mufflers to the frame brackets.

The following users liked this post:
Gizmo83 (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 02:58 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master

The four bolts that secure the mufflers to the frame brackets.
Do you happen to have the specs for these two?

Old 01-07-2020, 04:50 AM
FM500
Road Master
Received 3,796 Likes on 677 Posts

After just now looking at my bags, I find myself wondering if these bags are really waterproof or not. If you look in the bottom of the bags, there are factory holes in them. Are these holes for water drainage?
Have a look here > https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...aterproof.html

I took a look at how the leather is attached to the plastic saddlebag on my 2018 Heritage and the seams are not glued to the plastic. They appear to be mainly riveted through metal brackets to hold the leather to the bag. The corners of the leather are NOT glued to the plastic bag. This allows the water to enter the space between the plastic and the leather which then gravitates to the bottom of the bag by way of the small hole the factory placed at the bottom of the plastic bag. While at the dealer, I told the service manager about this issue. So, she had the prep guy wash a new Heritage and we saw the water move past the leather at the corner seam and through the hole at the bottom of the left bag. We ended up with about 2 inches of water in the bag. Since the bike leans to the left, that bag is the one to get the water. So...not sure Harley will address this or not, but I plan to plug the hole. I also believe placing a drain hole in the leather will allow any excess water to drain out of the leather and also reduce the chance of that area mildewing in the future. If my memory serves me right, I seem to remember that is how my wife's 2007 Road King Custom leather wrapped bags were fabricated at the factory.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:12 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master

Question for those of you who have installed passenger floorboards, especially with saddlebag guards. I had the dealership install these but I’ve had to remove them due to some exhaust work. I’m reinstalling them and have run into something a little suspect. I didn’t receive any spare parts when I bought the bike but it seems there may be two lengths of mounting adapters available. I’m not sure if these are model specific or if the kit comes with both.

On the left side, they used the longer adapter as you can see in the pictures. The right side is the shorter one. I do have the saddlebag guards installed so that muddles up the instructions a bit so before I show up with the pitchfork at the dealership I want to make sure I know what I’m talking about.

The floorboard mount is not staying in place as I tighten it. It’s trying to rotate which is what led me to look into this a bit. I don’t know if the longer adapter will have a different face or clocking mechanism or what.

Anybody have any insight?

Left side, longer adapter, seemingly accurate based on the instructions as far as I can tell.

Right side adapter, shorter than left side adapter.

Screenshot of instructions. Again kind of confusing because of the saddlebag guards.

Clearance under right side mount with shorter adapter installed.

Right side shorter adapter installed. Does not keep the mount from rotating when torqued down.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:02 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

Question for those of you who have installed passenger floorboards, especially with saddlebag guards. I had the dealership install these but I’ve had to remove them due to some exhaust work. I’m reinstalling them and have run into something a little suspect. I didn’t receive any spare parts when I bought the bike but it seems there may be two lengths of mounting adapters available. I’m not sure if these are model specific or if the kit comes with both.

On the left side, they used the longer adapter as you can see in the pictures. The right side is the shorter one. I do have the saddlebag guards installed so that muddles up the instructions a bit so before I show up with the pitchfork at the dealership I want to make sure I know what I’m talking about.

The floorboard mount is not staying in place as I tighten it. It’s trying to rotate which is what led me to look into this a bit. I don’t know if the longer adapter will have a different face or clocking mechanism or what.

Anybody have any insight?

Left side, longer adapter, seemingly accurate based on the instructions as far as I can tell.

Right side adapter, shorter than left side adapter.

Screenshot of instructions. Again kind of confusing because of the saddlebag guards.

Clearance under right side mount with shorter adapter installed.

Right side shorter adapter installed. Does not keep the mount from rotating when torqued down.
Based on what I think longer adapter should go to the right which make sense due to more clearance because of exhaust. I feel this kit had some extra parts that are not used as these are for other models so chances are they discarded these. Not sure how is proper set up on left side as i dont see whole instruction. I dont trust anyone with my bike, especially sloppy dealers. The things they do man.

BTW can you send pix of your bike with these installed maybe whole bike and half of the rear of the bike. Want to see how it looks like as I was wondering about these boards.

Last edited by Burbur2; 01-10-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:22 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master

Originally Posted by Burbur2
Based on what I think longer adapter should go to the right which make sense due to more clearance because of exhaust. I feel this kit had some extra parts that are not used as these are for other models so chances are they discarded these. Not sure how is proper set up on left side as i dont see whole instruction. I dont trust anyone with my bike, especially sloppy dealers. The things they do man.

BTW can you send pix of your bike with these installed maybe whole bike and half of the rear of the bike. Want to see how it looks like as I was wondering about these boards.
The dealership has the correct adapter kit on order for my bike so once I get that installed, I'll take and post some pictures.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

The dealership has the correct adapter kit on order for my bike so once I get that installed, I'll take and post some pictures.
So something else is needed? Wonder what they messed up? Thanks for posting pix after installing I really want to see this as maybe I will go this route

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread