2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 07:49 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Does the heel shifter help you find neutral easier? I have hell sometimes finding neutral on my Heritage.
Finding neutral is a “snap” with the heel shifter. I’d never ride without one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle G.:
Cajun4x4 (11-20-2019), Herve (12-10-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,920 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by jmatero
It 's AMAZING how much more room you get on the right side.
Add one of these to the right side: Heel Guard

Old 12-01-2019, 03:48 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 870 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
I'll offer this and apologize if it's not relevant.......

I own a 2018 FLHCS....

After a weekend on the Dragon, I kept hearing a whine coming from the rear of the bike. I was afraid it was a bearing, but with only 6,000 miles didn't seem reasonable. Braking didn't make it go away, it did it with bike while coasting in neutral and off. The main thing I noticed was that it didn't happen when the bike was cooled off.....only after it had been ridden a while. That led me to wonder if it was the belt which reportedly shrinks when it gets hot and can potentially whine. So, today I took the bike to my service dept to ask what was going on.

Here's what I was told.....

HD apparently aligned the drive train about 1/4" offset for some reason unknown to me and not explained by the service advisor. They have apparently now conceded that the result of that is a "sound" which is expected.....not a "noise" that is not expected and not good. The result is that there is no solution. They have no fix.

I am not a mechanic and have NO idea if this is accurate.....just relaying what I was told.
I am about to buy 2018 Heritage and was browsing this post for potential issues with this model and this issue have me seriously concern - misaligned engine and belt rubbing issues.

Did anyone was able to get to the bottom of this issue?
How common this problem is?

There is about 2000 posts and after few long hours I am just about at page 70 and I am about to buy the bike in 2 days so I am freaking out.

Beside that this is what I found as other issues such as:
rattling fuel cap
saddle bags that are prone to opening on their own
some issues with passing lights after LED upgrades
serious buffeting with stock windshield

did I miss anything?

Is engine misalignment resolved on 2019 model?

Please help me out I will really appreciate it

Old 12-01-2019, 05:17 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yzzyx
I installed the saddle bag guards today. Fortunately I read earlier in this thread about the gorilla lock-tite on the passenger pegs so I bought an $9 electric heat gun (on sale) from Harbor Freight. It only took maybe a minute of heating to loosen the lock-tite and the pegs came off easily.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-w...112-62340.html

I also rode an odometer/speedometer "calibration" ride today. I have 7K miles on OEM Dunlops so I figured maybe they are half worn out and maybe the reduced tire diameter would affect my odometer/speedometer. At the end of the ride the bike registered 201.5 miles and the GPS registered 201.0 miles. Half a mile off over 200 miles is good enough for me!

I have a set of Avon Cobras that I will be installing soon. I'll post the appropriate calibration for those ASAP.

I really wonder hoq you used this heatgun to loose this screw without any damage to coating around. Can you share some tips? I have same exact gun

Old 12-01-2019, 06:17 AM
Hardcase61
Cruiser
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
I am about to buy 2018 Heritage and was browsing this post for potential issues with this model and this issue have me seriously concern - misaligned engine and belt rubbing issues.

There is about 2000 posts and after few long hours I am just about at page 70 and I am about to buy the bike in 2 days so I am freaking out.

rattling fuel cap

did I miss anything?

rattling gas cap is indeed an issue but is easily fixed by using a a fat hair tie around the rubber gasket on the cap.

saddle bags opening are not an issue as long as nothing is caught in the locking mechanism and you check then by pulling up gently after closing.

the new heritages come with LED headlights and passing lights, I have led turn signals and tail light installed with NO issues.

the stock shield is on the short side I am 5'9" and use a 19 inch after market shield plus fork fangs

as far as the drive belt issue I am deaf enough I cant hear it, my 2018 heritage has 35k miles and the drive belt is fine, no fraying of the edges or any other issues.

Last edited by Hardcase61; 12-01-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:31 AM
Hardcase61
Cruiser

I really wonder hoq you used this heatgun to loose this screw without any damage to coating around. Can you share some tips? I have same exact gun
I just had to remove the passenger footpegs on my 18 heritage it was a non issue the bolts came loose there was no issue of excessive loctite on mine.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:42 AM
rico1969
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rattling fuel cap

did I miss anything?

I had the issue on my 19 with the noise. Same thing as it only did it after a ride. I asked the dealer many times any reports of issues and none they knew of. On my 1000 mile check they said it was a tight belt could be the problem. Adjusted and not had noise since.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:53 AM
Hardcase61
Cruiser

I added hard bags to my heritage

Here it is stripped down ready to install the brackets

Here it is with the Bagger tail bracket installed.

And here it is with the bags installed.

the brackets are designed for 13 and older bags, I was able to use the 14 up bags by tilting the hanging brackets some.
turn signals where not an issue they clear the bags by about an inch or so.

Last edited by Hardcase61; 12-01-2019 at 07:19 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Hardcase61:
bduds65 (11-17-2021), not_so_newb (12-02-2019), sgtjosh (09-11-2020), Tom Thompson (12-12-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 07:07 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

rattling fuel cap

did I miss anything?

You did not mention if the bike you are interested in is a 107 or a 114. If it is a 107, it will definately needs a stage I SE Breather upgrade and a tune. Plan on it!

Rattleing Gas caap can be fixed. Little tap with a flat head screwdrive in the righ place will fix it.

Speedometer fogging cannot be fixed. Very annoying. Many have had them replaced but the fogging still returns.

Stock saddlebags IMHO are crap, replaced mine with LeatherPro bags....much nicer look and function.

I have changed out to all LED (CD Brand) Run/Brake/Turn lamps and installed a tripple play module without any problems. Stock LED Headlight and Passing Lamps are great. I did add some engine guard mounted driving lights for both better night time visability and to be better seen during the day.

Stock bike does have a serious buffeting issue but easily solved with Fangs and a Recurve Windshield.

The Jiffy stand works but sucks. **** poor design. Got to be extra carefull to make sure it is down and locked in place. Very difficult to see under the Floor Board. KIck it forward 3 times before setting the bike on it.

Finding neutral is a PITA.

I have had no sound problems with my bike but I did install Rinehart Slip-ons and they are kind of loud.

Bike needs engine guard and saddlebag guard raills, passenger foot boards if plans are to ride 2-up, a better seat, H-B risers, laydown LP frame (you will cut your leg on the stock one), and other usual Items like sissy bar and luggage rack.

Spoke wheels require a tube in the tire. Not an easy fix along the road if you pick up a nail.

You can do a lot with the '18 Heritage to make it your own...only takes $$$$$.

It is a good looking bike and fun to ride. You will be happy with it if you can get past/fix some of its short commings.

Assume you are looking at the '18 for cost reasons. Make sure it is a GOOOOOOOD deal.

Last edited by FrankEV; 12-01-2019 at 07:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pondscum (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by FrankEV
You did not mention if the bike you are interested in is a 107 or a 114. If it is a 107, it will definately needs a stage I SE Breather upgrade and a tune. Plan on it!

Rattleing Gas caap can be fixed. Little tap with a flat head screwdrive in the righ place will fix it.

Speedometer fogging cannot be fixed. Very annoying. Many have had them replaced but the fogging still returns.

Stock saddlebags IMHO are crap, replaced mine with LeatherPro bags....much nicer look and function.

I have changed out to all LED (CD Brand) Run/Brake/Turn lamps and installed a tripple play module without any problems. Stock LED Headlight and Passing Lamps are great. I did add some engine guard mounted driving lights for both better night time visability and to be better seen during the day.

Stock bike does have a serious buffeting issue but easily solved with Fangs and a Recurve Windshield.

The Jiffy stand works but sucks. **** poor design. Got to be extra carefull to make sure it is down and locked in place. Very difficult to see under the Floor Board. KIck it forward 3 times before setting the bike on it.

Finding neutral is a PITA.

I have had no sound problems with my bike but I did install Rinehart Slip-ons and they are kind of loud.

Bike needs engine guard and saddlebag guard raills, passenger foot boards if plans are to ride 2-up, a better seat, H-B risers, laydown LP frame (you will cut your leg on the stock one), and other usual Items like sissy bar and luggage rack.

Spoke wheels require a tube in the tire. Not an easy fix along the road if you pick up a nail.

You can do a lot with the '18 Heritage to make it your own...only takes $$$$$.

It is a good looking bike and fun to ride. You will be happy with it if you can get past/fix some of its short commings.

Assume you are looking at the '18 for cost reasons. Make sure it is a GOOOOOOOD deal.
Thank you very much this is really helpful. Can someone please elaborate in this tight belt noise fix. Is wheel misaligned or rather just too tight belt? How exactly to fix that?

i am looking at 114” with 3k miles 115 Anniversary edition for 14k. Bike comes with CD LED turns and rears, sissy bar and nice grips and mirror rest is stock. It is 2 tone blue/black.

Rattling cap is no biggie got that an all my HD before XL and now 2014 Slim

i actually like stock bags hope I can make them work but heard these stock ones like to leak via lock - any fix on this one?

Also bit concern about buffeting as I dont like look of fangs so It will be great to hear on windshield solution only - curious here. Dig the look of 16” smoke look of after market option.

neutral pita - looks like standard on all HD still

Definitely agree on suggested upgrades such as new seat (planning on Corbin based on my great experience) engine guard is must got in on mine too.

Does HD Offers floorboards now I read this was not available initially - if not some comments on solutions would be great to hear.

Tube in wheels - got it now not issue for me

Lat down plate would be nice this stock looks like ****.

Stock handlebar is big part of my consideration for upgrade as Slim has this bar way to forward to me and I like this of Heritage set up hope I dont have to install risers but read 4” tall one works without changes to cables. Any issues you guys experience with stock set up? Would be shame to upgrade and found same issue still not resolved

Read bad things about stock tourpack which was also planned upgrade.

My plan is to sell my bike to dealer at 8k as no freaking buyers exist in current markets beside low ballers and add 6k cash and get this ride. I read a lot of great reviews mainly on this post.

This is what I got

this is what I consider for extra 6k a(after selling mine at sad 8k)

Is that good deal?

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread