2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 06:39 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend DG
I'd start with the fangs. Much less expensive than the shield and they make more of a difference IMHO. Plus you get to keep the blacked-out version of the factory windshield. I'm 6' and they're all I need.
The Freedom shield I chose still has the blacked out bottom half. It also has a tinted upper half. I went with the Fangs first and for me it didn't reduce the buffeting enough. I agree though, I'd try the Fangs first.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:03 PM
jmatero
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

So I'm trying to decide between the Sport Glide and Heritage Classic and reading this thread has me worried about the wind buffeting issue. I'm 5'9, 180, 30 inch inseam, full-face helmet. How likely am I to experience this issue on the highway? Has anyone found a solution via a particular new windshield that maintains the look?

Old 02-07-2019, 01:11 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jmatero
So I'm trying to decide between the Sport Glide and Heritage Classic and reading this thread has me worried about the wind buffeting issue. I'm 5'9, 180, 30 inch inseam, full-face helmet. How likely am I to experience this issue on the highway? Has anyone found a solution via a particular new windshield that maintains the look?
You may experience buffeting but obviously depends on seat position and height. I have the standard windshield and installed the fangs (from the 2017 model heritage) and I have no buffeting whatsoever. I rode 10,000 very enjoyable miles last year on my 2018 Heritage. Prior to the fangs I knew there was some turbulent air in front of me all though because of my seat position (Tallboy seat) it was not hitting me in the face, chest, or helmet. After installing the fangs there was no turbulent air in front of me or on me. The ride was quieter and very comfortable.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:00 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Without wind deflectors and a recurve windshield almost everyone has found the Heritage is prone to wind buffeting.

A set of Fangs (ordered for a 2017 Heritage and drilled to match 2018) and a Freedom Recurve Windshield makes the Heritage a pleasure to ride.

I like the look of the pointy (fang look) of the pre '18 wind deflectors.

My Freedon shield is blacked out on the bottom so looks like stock, just a little shorted because I'm short and like to look over the shield. The recurvve flips the air up and over the helmet mnaking helmet buffeting non existant.

From what I read and researched, the Sport Glide is a very nice bike but is more of a sport bike (with bags) than a cruiser. If your looking for a wannabe cruiser (maybe for two-up touring) and like the more triditional look, the Heritage is the bike.

JMHO but i'm biased!

Last edited by FrankEV; 02-07-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:24 PM
A1A
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

See if you can do a Demo ride from your local Dealer. That way you can tell for sure my friend.
Cheers

Old 02-07-2019, 04:40 PM
DeaD SpacE
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm 5'-11'' and wear a full face and haven't had any buffeting problems.However the bike I test rode (2018 model) had a taller shield, it was right at eye level and I had minor buffeting issues.I bought a 2019 model and noticed the shield is below my eye level and no buffeting.Did Harley change windshield size from the 18-19 bikes?

Old 02-07-2019, 06:59 PM
sped
Road Captain
Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kenny55
You may experience buffeting but obviously depends on seat position and height. I have the standard windshield and installed the fangs (from the 2017 model heritage) and I have no buffeting whatsoever. I rode 10,000 very enjoyable miles last year on my 2018 Heritage. Prior to the fangs I knew there was some turbulent air in front of me all though because of my seat position (Tallboy seat) it was not hitting me in the face, chest, or helmet. After installing the fangs there was no turbulent air in front of me or on me. The ride was quieter and very comfortable.

Kenny do you find that the fangs hit your engine guard? Mine do at full lock. I'm super careful but still tap it on occasion.

You are correct in saying that the fangs solved the buffeting issue. Mine literally transformed the bike. Running with vinyl lowers really make it awesome.

I am concerned about engine cooling though. I think my bike runs much hotter than my Gold Wing did. LOL

Old 02-08-2019, 06:34 AM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sped
Kenny do you find that the fangs hit your engine guard? Mine do at full lock. I'm super careful but still tap it on occasion.

You are correct in saying that the fangs solved the buffeting issue. Mine literally transformed the bike. Running with vinyl lowers really make it awesome.

I am concerned about engine cooling though. I think my bike runs much hotter than my Gold Wing did. LOL
Yes good point. The fangs do just 'touch' the engine guard when you do full lock. It doesn't put any pressure on the fangs so i can still lock the handlebars without bending the fangs but you need to be careful and aware of it. Engine temperatures may be slightly higher but I had no issues whatsoever last year riding all summer, long periods, during hot weather. I believe soft lowers would affect engine temperatures more than the fangs.

Last edited by kenny55; 02-08-2019 at 06:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sped (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 01:43 PM
LTBiker
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey, wondering if anybody here might have the Two-Up Luggage Rack on their bike.....the one that does not require a Sissy Bar. If so, could you tell me how you like it........are you able to attach a good-sized bag to it and feel it is secure? I have always had a rack that attaches to the Sissy Bar on previous bikes, but if the no-bar rack would work well, could save the cost of the Sissy Bar, since I will never be carrying a passenger.

Also, if anyone has a Motherwell Solo Rack on their bike, what are the options for a bag that will work well with it.....the bigger the better of course! Will be transitioning from a bagger that has big hard bags (Indian Chieftain), so looking to maximize luggage capacity for trips.

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:03 PM
Dave 2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm same size as you and have a 2018. Wind hits me just at the top of the visor on a full face helmet. I don't perceive it as a problem, As with anything bike related its a personal preference and choice. Best advice is go to a dealer and check both bikes out. I rode both and picked the Heritage.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread