2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 05:29 PM
Tom Thompson
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Well, that's more like it -- yes, it's absolutely going to void your Harley warranty. If you're ever on a trip and need service, you'll be screwed. So is the dealer who's insisting on voiding your warranty, willing to provide you a written dealership warranty where they guarantee repairs on your bike?

If not -- then is it really worth it to you?

You can get the Harley Stage II, which will give you 90% or more of the power of the aftermarket stuff, and to hell with their dyno tune, and spend a lot less money and be completely legal and have warranty everywhere. Or, you can use their aftermarket cam, and pay them 3 additional hours of labor for dyno tuning, and watch as they irrevocably void your warranty at every dealership in the country, and then maybe they'll provide you an in-house warranty, maybe not.

My take? They're doing this to try to sell you a more expensive tuner and to charge you three extra hours of labor. Screw those guys. They're screwing you out of your two-year warranty, all so they can pocket an extra three hours of labor. With the Harley Stage II, you'll pay for five or six hours of labor, not nine. And once your warranty is expired, you can then take the bike to Bob Lobenberg or The Dyno Difference or somewhere else like that, a top shop, and have it tuned by the best guys in the business, rather than whoever's working at that Harley dealership.

But, hey, if you want the RS468, go ahead, just understand that they are purposely charging you more, and selling you a more expensive tuner, and spending time on the dyno, and voiding your warranty. If that tradeoff is worth it to you, go ahead, just go in with your eyes wide open.
Your right I have 17 months left. if i broke down and had to go to another dealer it would be bad.. I have put on a full stage 1 now in the last couple days. what would be my best route to tune it in. thanks for the advice

Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Thompson
Your right I have 17 months left. if i broke down and had to go to another dealer it would be bad.. I have put on a full stage 1 now in the last couple days. what would be my best route to tune it in. thanks for the advice
Well, the only way to tune it and retain the warranty is the Harley Pro Street Tuner.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:51 PM
cjdyna
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HP1
Over here in the UK buying accessories from the US can work out very expensive by the time you add on postage and duty.
With that in mind I have a question for you:
If you had to choose between a recurve windscreen or fangs, to try to reduce helmet buffeting which would you choose?
If it's pertinent, the wind actually hits me right in the eyes.
Thanks in advance.
I have the recurve on mine and love it. The height was perfect for me and fixed the wind. Remember that fangs will definitely raise your engine temps thereby reducing performance but it’s a personal choice

The following users liked this post:
HP1 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 08:10 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by HP1
Over here in the UK buying accessories from the US can work out very expensive by the time you add on postage and duty.
If you had to choose between a recurve windscreen or fangs, to try to reduce helmet buffeting which would you choose?
Thanks in advance.
My 15" recurve from Freedom Shields moves the air up and over my head reducing the helmet buffeting significantly. The 15" because I'm short and wanted to be able to look over the shield. If you order a recurve, make sure you determine the best height shield for you as they instruct on their website.

I added the Fangs to reduce the overall effect of the wind buffeting, and not just for the helmet. Just know that Fangs will definately improve the overall ride experience.

In your situation I guess I would suggest a recurve shield first than when the money is available, get the Fangs. But if at all possible, I would highly reccomend both ASAP, if not at the same time. You wont regret the investment.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:45 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I have the lower fork fangs which helped somewhat but the buffeting was still harsh. The re-curved Freedom shield (I'm 6'1" and got the 21.5" shield) was one of the best mods I've made to the bike so far. The difference in buffeting was dramatic. To measure, using the stock shield, measure from the bottom center of the plexi on the shield just above the headlight while sitting on the bike (you may need help with this) measure so the level of the shield reaches the level of your nose while sitting normally. Before the new shield, the wind noise and buffeting over powered the noise of the exhaust at higher speeds (80 or so). Now I can hear my tunes through the bluetooth helmet speakers at speed and it makes it far easier when my wife's riding her bike to make out what she's saying at speed and she can hear me better also. Great product.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:05 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HP1
Thanks in advance.
I put the fangs on first, and the improvement was huge - much more that I expected. I then added the recurve, at stock height, to smooth out the air at the top inch of my helmet. It worked as expected, but a minor change. An 18 inch windshield would have been perfect, but I definitely did not want 19 inch (personal preference for transition between looking through the windshield and looking over it)

Old 02-05-2019, 01:58 AM
HP1
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the advice given so far. My worry is ordering the wrong size screen through measuring incorrectly.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:11 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

You can tape a paint stirring stick and adjust the level until it's level with your nose and then measure it from the bottom of the plexi of the stock shield. That measurement allows you to look over the top of your new shield and the shield will be tall enough to flip the windstream over the top of your helmet.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:04 AM
Reverend DG
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd start with the fangs. Much less expensive than the shield and they make more of a difference IMHO. Plus you get to keep the blacked-out version of the factory windshield. I'm 6' and they're all I need.

Last edited by Reverend DG; 02-05-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:52 AM
HP1
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Good idea about the measuring stick, thank you.
I think I'm going to try fangs first, because they are cheaper. I was hoping my daughter would be travelling to the US this spring, but she has postponed the trip, so I'm going to have to pay postage and duties.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread