2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 07:07 PM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Cool thanks Frank, good info to know. I’ll have to see what VA says on the law end and check with the dealer here.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:51 AM
sped
Road Captain
Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Who is running heated gear on their bike? I'm thinking only gloves and jacket and in the worst conditions the boot liners.

The bike should be able to power that, right?

Thanks and ride safe.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:56 AM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I think I read it's just a matter of hooking up a 12v power outlet. If there's a place to do a power block rather than wrestle the wires into the battery with tough access that might be ideal. I know NOCO makes some accessory plugs, check Amazon or I think HD makes one too. I could use the grips myself, 39-45* makes for a chilly run lately here, and winter enduro gloves are thick like snow gloves and the feel sucks. I went to fleece lined pants from Duluth Trading and some cold gear type running base layer.

The following users liked this post:
sped (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 07:27 AM
Yzzyx
Cruiser
Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by sped
Who is running heated gear on their bike? I'm thinking only gloves and jacket and in the worst conditions the boot liners.

The bike should be able to power that, right?

Thanks and ride safe.
I run a heated jacket liner, heated gloves and heated pants. I use two power leads from the battery to get the most current. I have the standard engine crash guards with soft lowers. I can ride down to 45F with no problem. Without the soft lowers I would have to use toe warmers. The bike has a 1,400 watt alternator so juice is not an issue. A lot of people say they can ride in cold weather with less gear, but they are just doing short trips. I can ride 8+ hours with my setup. I have more than 80,000 miles this year so being comfortable on the bike is super important. Access to the battery isn't as bad as it looks. You just have to take your time and understand that if you are working too hard you are doing it wrong. Everything fits in there real easy if you use the right procedure. If you need any more details just let me know!

sped (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 10:32 AM
sped
Road Captain

Thanks guys. I'm real familiar with the heated gear and such having been an adopter in the late 90's I think. Coming off a Gold Wing I never had any doubts about the charging capacity of the bike to keep up with the draw from the gloves and such, I'm just trying to figure out if this bike is up to the challenge.

It looks like it is. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I'm good to go!!

Old 12-31-2018, 04:00 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm real familiar with the heated gear and such having been an adopter in the late 90's I think. Coming off a Gold Wing I never had any doubts about the charging capacity of the bike to keep up with the draw from the gloves and such, I'm just trying to figure out if this bike is up to the challenge.

It looks like it is. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I'm good to go!!
I was concerned as well, so I measured the voltage. I used a heated jacket liner, pants, gloves, and socks, the whole kit. The voltage was barely affected. The M8 bikes have upgraded charging systems. I just got back from a 2200+ mile trip, heated all the way, no issues. This was a Fat Bob, not a Heritage, but I would assume there should be no difference. Note, I had converted my turn signals to LED, and my headlight is LED, so that would free up a lot of watts as compared to tungsten lighting.

sped (01-01-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 09:50 PM
sped
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
I was concerned as well, so I measured the voltage. I used a heated jacket liner, pants, gloves, and socks, the whole kit. The voltage was barely affected. The M8 bikes have upgraded charging systems. I just got back from a 2200+ mile trip, heated all the way, no issues. This was a Fat Bob, not a Heritage, but I would assume there should be no difference. Note, I had converted my turn signals to LED, and my headlight is LED, so that would free up a lot of watts as compared to tungsten lighting.
That's good to know. Already running LED headlight and passing lamps, and turn signals are for wussies. LOL

Thanks for the info. Looks like I've just extended my riding season.

RENARELLO (04-21-2020)
Old 01-01-2019, 12:57 AM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

That's good to know. Already running LED headlight and passing lamps, and turn signals are for wussies. LOL

I've got Gerbing gloves and jacket. Together they pull about 10.8 amps at 14.2 volts when turned all the way up. The charging system is more than capable of taking the additional load. I can monitor the voltage while riding. With the gear off, the system voltage bounces around from 14.1 to 14.3. With gloves and jacket on full blast it is 14.0 to 14.2 at idle.

It was fairly easy to install the wiring for the power. I was able to attach the positive lead to the battery without taking the battery out. I attached the ground lead to one of the ground lugs on the chassis.

sped (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 09:27 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,232 Likes on 2,464 Posts

What Buster said. Easy to hook up, the bike has no problem handling the extra load of heated gear. I ride year round, and use heated gear for close to 6 months of the year.

Pic of Mary and I riding Beartooth Pass this last summer-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

sped (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 11:48 AM
sped
Road Captain

Dang! I'd hate to see what their winter looks like. LOL . Thanks Kevin!!

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread