Does Zumo XT2 pair to Infotainment for voice directions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 11:09 AM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Does Zumo XT2 pair to Infotainment for voice directions

Does the Zumo XT2 pair thru bluetooth with the Harley GTS infotainment system
so that spoken directions from the Zumo come over the Harley's wired CB headset??

Old 12-21-2023, 06:50 PM
dentdave
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had the Zumo XT for a while and have yet to figure how to and if it's even possible to get it to come through the bike into the headset. I also run the wired headsets and even have upgraded to the newer GTS radio. I've paired it several different ways to my phone or bike and still nothing . I have been using Garmin Zumos since 08 on 2 different bikes and have just given up on trying to make it work. To be honest with you I'm ok with it as I'm used to just glancing at it to see when the next turn is. Yes sometimes I miss my turn and ill wait for it to recalculate or just make a u turn up the road. It might work with a wireless headsets with the whim setup. We did try the wireless bluetooth a while back but the battery life did not last for us and it was a pain to get set up correctly, especially the vox setting. In short we prefer the wired headset for our style of riding.

I upgraded to the newer GTS system with the hope's of eliminating the Zumo but it just doesn't do what the zumo can do. I feel once you learn it the zumo offers much more than any factory system can do ( just my opinion ). Anyhow hopefully one day someone can figure it out, until then it still works just fine.

The following users liked this post:
Rydefree (12-28-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 03:44 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

I haven't had a Garmin in some time. Once I moved to the 2014, I used the Harley nav system. On my 2010, I had the Garmin 660 and, as I recall, it connected directly to my radio, and I could hear my music and directions from my bike speakers. If I changed the output, the directions and music would come through my headsets (no wireless back then)

Also, as I recall, you didn't have the option of sending one or the other to the headset - it was either both or neither. My 2010 has an aux 3.5 input plug and that is where I plugged in. What I actually did - they can also run that plug to the back of the radio, so you didn't have to see the wire doing into the front of the radio.

Just for the heck of it - before the Garmin was installed, Harley had a MP3 player that I used to connect to the 3.5 plug that worked the same way.

For the newer bikes, I believe you can do the same thing. Use part 69200907 and that connects the bike to a 3.5 pin that can plug into your Garmin. You can then determine where you want to plug to come out at. Dealer has to flash the bike for the additional audio plug. Just as an FYI, you could then also use your Garmin to play additional music through the SD card that is in the Garmin (directions would override the music)

Old 01-01-2024, 03:46 AM
gahobbsau
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think that I have your answer

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
Does the Zumo XT2 pair thru Bluetooth with the Harley GTS infotainment system
so that spoken directions from the Zumo come over the Harley's wired CB headset??
I have a 2014 CVO limited with the 6.5GT Boom Box and HD 20S Bluetooth headset (with the WHIM module installed).
I have just this week attached the Zumo XT2 (to replace a Zumo 595 that was wire connected for the audio). I was perplexed that the Bluetooth device pairing options in the XT2 were limited to phone and headset, with no other option.

For the connection, what I did was this: In the Boombox I navigated to Bluetooth devices to pair a new device; at the same time in the XT2 I selected Add Headset; the pairing proceeded and connected.
At first I thought that it had failed because it seemed to automatically disconnect.
However, I subsequently found that in the Boombox, the Zumo was added to the list of devices and, in the XT2, "H-D Radio" was in the list of Headphones.

To hear the XT2 audio though the Boombox and my connected headset: In the Boombox I select the Zumo as the audio source. I have music on a Micro-SD in the XT2, and I hear its music - so far so good. Then when I set a destination on the XT2 and Go, then I hear the instructions from the XT2. Exactly as we want it.

I didn't make much of a record of what I was doing, so if and when you use this method, perhaps make some notes and possibly some pics to add for others in a post below.

Now, I am really glad that I got that to work.

Last edited by gahobbsau; 01-01-2024 at 03:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rocketman83 (08-22-2024)