Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Ride or Not To Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014 | 09:19 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my bike in last Saturday for the 1000 mile service and two days later the recall....it figures. I can't ride now for 6 weeks for a health related issue, but would ride if I could recall or not. Just be aware of it and ride safe, you've already put 1,500 miles on it without issue. You've always got the kill switch just in case.

Old 09-14-2014 | 09:26 AM
KCwildguy
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger That
I just had my bike in last Saturday for the 1000 mile service and two days later the recall....it figures. I can't ride now for 6 weeks for a health related issue, but would ride if I could recall or not. Just be aware of it and ride safe, you've already put 1,500 miles on it without issue. You've always got the kill switch just in case.
I've been riding it this long, I'll keep doing so. I will just be more aware when I come to stop. Not really a deal breaker for me, I'll get it fixed when I get a chance.

Old 09-14-2014 | 09:52 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 99 Posts

Yesterday I rode to the local dealer where I bought my bike since they were having Demo rides. When I got there I asked the service dept about the recall. I really don't think this guy knew about the latest recall because I have 300 miles on the two week old bike and asked if I could do it when I brought it in for the 1000 mile service. He said, it was a do not ride recall. (I thought that was only the first one). I still have never been notified there is a recall, I only know what I read on this forum. So asked him, "Do I have the bike towed in?" He said if I have it now he could squeeze it in. I got it fixed and they were really busy and I only had to wait about 1 hour or so.

The bike has always worked fine, but with such low mileage, you never know how long it can go....you may never have a problem, or it could go out the next ride.

I am glad I got mine fixed, it is just too much stress worrying if the bike I am riding will make it home or not.

Old 09-14-2014 | 10:20 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I was at the dealer Saturday (9/13). They don't have the parts yet to do the recall. I'm riding mine. 11K miles on it. From my perspective, anything on the bike could fail at any time, including the clutch. Sounds like the clutch is higher probability due to other failures…but with this many miles and no issues, I think that takes the probability back down. We'll see. As others have said, it's all on me regarding the decision. I've decided to do so. And I'll own the decision if something untoward happens.

Rant On:
The "Lawyers" have managed to get the thought into our heads that when things go wrong, our decisions are not really "ours" at all, but that we're usually being mislead, even duped by others who have an agenda of greed and/or disregard for our well-being. In some cases this is so. Yet, in general an individual has the responsibility to ensure their activities are prudent and wise. Further, we have to weigh the statements of others and decide how much accuracy they hold. Finally, we have to allow that it's an imperfect world, accidents happen, honest mistakes, and own our part of that uncertainty. Really, there are no (or very damn few) guarantees in a life.

Looking close to home, you see a number of posts here, on this forum, from people contemplating whether or not a certain situation was the rider's 'fault'…or someone else's. I'm not talking about accidents wherein party A ran into party B, e.g., running a stoplight. But cases like this clutch recall going on, where a guy knows about the issue but rides his bike anyway, the clutch fails, and he damages the bike and/or injures himself as a result.

If I tell you (hypothetical case): "I just found out that car I sold you has a bad master cylinder. They've recalled all the master cylinders of the type I used to repair the car before I sold the car to you. I have ordered a replacement and will put it in for you. It won't be here for three days. If it were me I'd park the car for three days, until I can replace the part." And if you then drive the car, crash it because the master cylinder failed, who's at fault for the accident? The master cylinder mfr.? Me? You? Some combination of the above? All things being equal (no dishonesty on the mfr.'s part, etc.), the answer is clear to me, and others here. But some would say anyone is at fault…but the driver.

That's the mentality we've developed as a society. It goes along with the 'something for nothing' and sense of 'entitlement' attitudes that are prevalent these days. (I think a big part of these attitudes come from my parents' generation through my own, my parents who'd lived through the hard-times of the depression, and didn't want their kids to ever have to live with what they'd had to live with (or without, to be more accurate); my own generation, having it good, never wanting for the basics (food, shelter)…we came to feel at a gut-level these things were guaranteed by the Constitution (figuratively). We're finding out (with 'Globalization') 'the good life' is not guaranteed to us (other than the guarantee of access to the means to secure it), but that we have to go out every day and continue to win it...)

At the heart of all of this is the habit of taking the first responsibility for one's life upon one's own shoulders. That should be the first inclination, the initial position in any transaction. The second (it should never be the first) avenue is to pursue those who it turns out have cheated, or duped us.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 09-14-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-14-2014 | 10:39 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior

Flyboyron....love the motorcycle art hanging on your wall.

Old 09-14-2014 | 11:53 AM
dvn4life
Cruiser

Mine lunged in Corpus Christi last weekend, causing me to lay it down. My wife was on with me. No injuries, no damage. I wasn't aware and it caught me off guard. Rode all last week, after it happened.

I do have an appointment on Saturday morning to do the recall, and I'm gonna ride it all this week leading up to it.

Ride aware and you'll be just fine.

Pat

Old 09-14-2014 | 12:44 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

I was scheduled for yesterday, but it was a wash out so i cancelled the appointment.

This morning was 65 degrees, after a few chores and my exercise regime i thought i want to try this mesh jacket out so i took off called the HD dealer, he said he was swamped with clutch recalls and didn't think he could work me in, i told him no sweat, i still have my appointment on Wednesday.

I rode about 50 miles, talk about a comfortable morning for riding, the best since i had the bike. Tried finding neutral on the roll up to a stop and got it 4 out of 5 times. The other time i kept my thumb ready for the kill switch.

Cruising along all was good, but having the recall issue in my mind did take a little of the joy and ride therapy out of my experience.

I have some painting, grass cutting, bush hogging to do, (small 30 acre farm), i'll use Monday and Tuesday to take care of all of that and Wednesday the fix.

Then bye, bye, zooooom.

Old 09-14-2014 | 01:59 PM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sectime
Sorry never accepted ignorance is bliss as a life strategy. The legal hoops a company has to go through on recalls takes time. Harley gave us a website to check for ourselves, and this forum.
Aw hell I forgot every body has internet access 24/7 and checks the recall page before every ride.

My bad.

Old 09-14-2014 | 03:15 PM
CipoWins42
Road Captain

We rode without a care, until this week.
There was the same chance of failure all along.
I'm riding until they are prepared to repair it.

Old 09-14-2014 | 07:34 PM
stubby001
|
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode it today 175-180 miles no problems, just put it in neutral when I could, and good squeeze on front brake otherwise. Was good ride with good friends. Ride Safe All

Quick Reply: To Ride or Not To Ride