Sponsored by:

****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014 | 12:58 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior
Default ****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****

There is already a thread started on this but it's title wasn't clear that this is a new recall on the clutch master cylinder that was issued yesterday 9/8/14.

The HD website shows the recall but doesn't provide any details. I called my dealer they just received notice of the recall this morning. Said a seal in the master cylinder may tear causing the system to loose pressure. This will allow the clutch to start dragging causing the bike to try creeping forward when stopped in gear. They are suppose to start receiving parts and instructions on what they are suppose to do the first of next week. It doesn't include a do not ride warning this time but says if you continue to ride to be aware of the issue. It appears the recall applies to all the 14's and 15's with the hydraulic clutch built thru yesterday. The dealers have been advised to not deliver any new affected bike's until the recall has been completed.

Old 09-09-2014 | 01:11 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-09-2014 | 01:27 PM
harleymike77
Road Captain

Appreciate the info....Thanks........

Old 09-09-2014 | 01:34 PM
Don81
Road Captain

Thank you.

Old 09-09-2014 | 01:40 PM
lazye
Cruiser

I was in Hot Springs this past weekend for the Rally. Me and some friends took a long ride on hwy 7 which is very curvy and steep. After coming down the mountain back to town, my friend pulls up to a red light and his clutch went with no warning at all. His Ultra looked like a bucking horse as it lunged out into the intersection almost t-boning a car. He is lucky it didn't fail in the mountains.
It was jerking him so hard there was no way to hit the kill switch.
Everyone should really take this seriously because it could have been fatal.
HD should issue a "do not ride" asap before someone gets killed.
Until then, I didn't think the clutch failure was such a big deal but now I know how bad it can be.
Harley could at least try to contact us but I guess they are too busy making $$$.
Be careful out there!

Old 09-09-2014 | 01:54 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lazye
I was in Hot Springs this past weekend for the Rally. Me and some friends took a long ride on hwy 7 which is very curvy and steep. After coming down the mountain back to town, my friend pulls up to a red light and his clutch went with no warning at all. His Ultra looked like a bucking horse as it lunged out into the intersection almost t-boning a car. He is lucky it didn't fail in the mountains.
It was jerking him so hard there was no way to hit the kill switch.
Everyone should really take this seriously because it could have been fatal.
HD should issue a do not ride asap before someone gets killed.
Until then, I didn't think the clutch failure was such a big deal but now I know how bad it can be.
Harley could at least try to contact us but I guess they are too busy making $$$.
Be careful out there!
They will send out letters after they ship replacement parts to the dealers. It is a safety recall so they are required to notify you. If you have a really good dealer they will call you to let you know. The dealers just received notice of the recall this morning.

Last edited by Greg2012FLHTK; 09-09-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2014 | 02:09 PM
lazye
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
They will send out letters after they ship replacement parts to the dealers. It is a safety recall so they are required to notify you. If you have a really good dealer they will call you to let you know. The dealers just received notice of the recall this morning.
I understand that but a week from now is unacceptable if you saw what I saw.
Just saying

Old 09-09-2014 | 02:10 PM
Fishnqueen214
Intermediate

My dealer said that the replacement parts are due in next week (September 15 on) and they will call once they have the parts. The oldest bike goes first is what I've been told.

Old 09-09-2014 | 02:22 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lazye
I understand that but a week from now is unacceptable if you saw what I saw.
Just saying
I read it. It sounds like it's a lot worse then the clutch dragging causing the bike to creep forward. I have noticed a couple of times in the past week if I don't hold the break on level ground that my limited with 8,500 wants to roll forward. But I can hold it from rolling with little effort. I'm thinking now that my clutch may be about to fail.

Old 09-09-2014 | 02:26 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fishnqueen214
My dealer said that the replacement parts are due in next week (September 15 on) and they will call once they have the parts. The oldest bike goes first is what I've been told.
If it's like last time, the dealers will fix the new bikes they have in stock first so they can sell them. I don't think they should but some dealers care more about making a sale then taking care of the customers that have already bought bikes.

Quick Reply: ****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****