Sponsored by:

****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014 | 09:22 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker
My dealer called me today regarding them ordering me a new '15. Guess what he tells me? They have been told not to deliver any more bikes until they are fixed. Estimated to be on or about the 22nd or 23rd! He was not happy. It's bike week this week/weekend in OC, Maryland. It's a big event and they took all their 2015's and some 2014's to the show. Now they've been told they can not deliver any of them no matter what. Sure they can "sell" them... yeah right. Who wants to buy a bike at bike week and have it hauled back to be picked up a week or so later. He told me they're going to lose a ton of business and I agree. Sucks.
So that pretty much confirms the recall does apply to all 14's and 15 already built. As of May Harley had sold over 66,0000 Rushmore's. I'm sure they sold a lot more 14's and 15's since. I wonder how long it will take them to produce enough parts to repair all of them. I've seen where some people checked the HD website yesterday and it didn't show the recall under there VIN. But when they rechecked today it did show the recall. So apparently they haven't got all the effected bikes uploaded yet.

Old 09-10-2014 | 09:44 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member

I just checked my VIN on HD site and it shows an open recall:

SAFETY RISK

Please contact your Service Dealer for more information

REMEDY

Please contact your Service Dealer for more information

I believe my bike was built sometime in April.

Old 09-10-2014 | 10:03 PM
joenash
Cruiser
Default Clutch

what I don't understand is the dealers act like they don,t know what is going on.
I had the brake recall done, no problem, I guess cause they had the official OK from Harley, when I went to the dealer to get it done I asked if they needed the letter from Harley and they said no.
When I got the bike the gas door would not open and the gas cap was so hard you need two hands to open it, I guess they don't want to do warranty work if they are not making a lot of money on it, they said they sprayed the cap with wd40 and adjusted the gas door, Well I went back cause it was still not good so they replaced the gas cap and said they had to order the gas door, Well back to the dealer to get the gas door after a week and a half of waiting for parts, The service guy kinda admitted to me they were having some problems with them. My point is I think they know their is some problems BUT they either don't want to let the owner know cause they don't want you to think their is a problem or they don't have enough parts to go around.
I know what does this have to do with the clutch well now they are going to recall all 2014 and 2015 bikes I think they just don't have enough parts to go around, two years of motorcycles that is a lot of bikes.

When I was at the dealer I asked him about the clutch, cause I was checking the fluid and the clutch fluid if you look through sight glass is black, and the fluid in the brake master was still clean. The dealer told me that was normal, But being a mechanic for 30 + years I never seen the clutch fluid get that black in less than 2000 miles, usually the brake fluid gets black first cause the brake system takes more abuse, but even still such low mileage you would think, anyway I just figured the bike is still under warranty I mean they can't do anything if their is no problem , But now I am glad they are going to recall all bikes cause knowing so many bikes are having a problem you kinda worry and think it is just a mater of time.
I also had the front spark plug wire replaced that they acted like their was no issue with, but mine was getting a cut by the gas tank, again they had to order the part, my point again they can't get the replacement parts fast enough.

Old 09-10-2014 | 10:11 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Question

Originally Posted by joenash
what I don't understand is the dealers act like they don,t know what is going on.
I had the brake recall done, no problem, I guess cause they had the official OK from Harley, when I went to the dealer to get it done I asked if they needed the letter from Harley and they said no.
When I got the bike the gas door would not open and the gas cap was so hard you need two hands to open it, I guess they don't want to do warranty work if they are not making a lot of money on it, they said they sprayed the cap with wd40 and adjusted the gas door, Well I went back cause it was still not good so they replaced the gas cap and said they had to order the gas door, Well back to the dealer to get the gas door after a week and a half of waiting for parts, The service guy kinda admitted to me they were having some problems with them. My point is I think they know their is some problems BUT they either don't want to let the owner know cause they don't want you to think their is a problem or they don't have enough parts to go around.
I know what does this have to do with the clutch well now they are going to recall all 2014 and 2015 bikes I think they just don't have enough parts to go around, two years of motorcycles that is a lot of bikes.

When I was at the dealer I asked him about the clutch, cause I was checking the fluid and the clutch fluid if you look through sight glass is black, and the fluid in the brake master was still clean. The dealer told me that was normal, But being a mechanic for 30 + years I never seen the clutch fluid get that black in less than 2000 miles, usually the brake fluid gets black first cause the brake system takes more abuse, but even still such low mileage you would think, anyway I just figured the bike is still under warranty I mean they can't do anything if their is no problem , But now I am glad they are going to recall all bikes cause knowing so many bikes are having a problem you kinda worry and think it is just a mater of time.
I also had the front spark plug wire replaced that they acted like their was no issue with, but mine was getting a cut by the gas tank, again they had to order the part, my point again they can't get the replacement parts fast enough.

I'm still not sure what your point is.

It's a brand new recall. H-D says they will have the parts out to the dealers early next week.

Make an appointment and get it done.

BTW, I was at the dealer today and my sales guy said the same thing, they can't deliver any 2014 or 2015's currently in stock until the clutches are fixed.

They did let me test drive a 2015 Limited Low so i doesn't seem like they think every bike is going to blow up on the spot.

Old 09-10-2014 | 10:34 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by joenash

As far as the clutch fluid getting dark quickly, my last Z06 did the same thing as did all Corvettes. Totally normal, so GM says.

Old 09-10-2014 | 10:40 PM
joenash
Cruiser

Originally Posted by offthewall
I'm still not sure what your point is.

It's a brand new recall. H-D says they will have the parts out to the dealers early next week.

Make an appointment and get it done.

BTW, I was at the dealer today and my sales guy said the same thing, they can't deliver any 2014 or 2015's currently in stock until the clutches are fixed.

They did let me test drive a 2015 Limited Low so i doesn't seem like they think every bike is going to blow up on the spot.
The Point is they know their is a problem and they don't have enough parts to get all the bikes fixed.

And as far as the recall Its new cause they only thought it was a few bikes that had the problem but now they realize their are more involved so they are recalling all the new bikes with hydraulic clutches

Old 09-10-2014 | 10:45 PM
joenash
Cruiser

Originally Posted by '14 Limited
As far as the clutch fluid getting dark quickly, my last Z06 did the same thing as did all Corvettes. Totally normal, so GM says.
Yes I know it will over time that is why you are supposed to flush your brake and clutch fluids.

But your clutch in your corvette did not Fail ? Did It?

So it makes you think knowing so many harley clutches are failing....Will mine go out?

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:30 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

I can't wait to go riding Saturday........

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:33 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by offthewall
They said they would start shipping parts next week. When they recalled the bikes for the clutch last October the dealers only got a few rebuild kits at a time. It took weeks for them to get enough parts for all the bikes then and they had only been sold for 7 weeks before the recall. This time they have over a years worth of bikes to fix. As of May they had sold over 66,000 of the Rushmore's. It's going to take awhile to get enough parts for all the recalled bikes.

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:10 AM
hogowner69
Road Master

will check with my dealer in an hour...don't have my VIN on me...they will look it up..
Ordered my 14 SGS last Sept. picked it up Nov so it is almost a year old....guess it will have this recall also....will find out in an hour

Quick Reply: ****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****