2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014 | 12:35 PM
jkane13
Tourer

I was also thinking that with the ridiculously high geared 1st gear, that this is not as big of a problem as everyone makes it out to be. If I let my clutch out and don't have the RPM's up around 2,500 or 3,000, the bike dies! Add to that me holding the brake, and there is no way the bike is going anywhere. The engine is gonna die.

Old 09-10-2014 | 01:20 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

The accidents or near accidents I have heard of were not when someone already stopped and the clutch suddenly failed. They were when people were pulling into a garage, parking space, or an intersection. They would pull the clutch in to stop and it wouldn't disengage. They were caught off guard and probably panicked and/or didn't have time to think to hit the kill switch. Plus on the FI motors the ECM will increase the throttle to try and maintain idle speed making it harder to stop. Not saying it can't be stopped just more difficult and if your caught off guard and panic you don't always think how to react quick enough. I'm going to continue riding but will pull the clutch in early and have my thumb on the kill switch when slowing or getting ready to stop

Old 09-10-2014 | 01:25 PM
rob_low0228
Cruiser

thank you!

Old 09-10-2014 | 01:35 PM
bobros
Road Warrior

Heading out for a 4-day trip. will have to rely on putting my thumb on the kill switch at each intersection.

Old 09-10-2014 | 01:36 PM
bseberle
Cruiser
Talking Kudos to Colonial Harley

Called Colonial HD this morning after reading about the recall on here and checking Moco site and seeing my bike in included. They told me to bring it in tomorrow to get it taken care of. Now that is what I call service.

Old 09-10-2014 | 01:37 PM
Don81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Six7One
I believe his point was with the clutch engaged and no throttle applied, the bike should have stalled. Perhaps when it bucked, the throttle got a twist. Not afar fetched probability.
This is why the training/safety courses teach to not reach forward to twist the throttle back, but to start with a neutral wrist position with the throttle closed and twist down from there. That way if something happens that causes your body to be pulled back and you instinctively hold on, you'll actually close the throttle rather than open it.

Old 09-10-2014 | 01:39 PM
Bohacker
Road Master

Originally Posted by bseberle
Called Colonial HD this morning after reading about the recall on here and checking Moco site and seeing my bike in included. They told me to bring it in tomorrow to get it taken care of. Now that is what I call service.

I guess I'm confused by this. Many of the earlier posts indicate that moco won't even ship the recall kit until next week. How can your dealer do this recall tomorrow?

Old 09-10-2014 | 01:42 PM
bseberle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bohacker
I guess I'm confused by this. Many of the earlier posts indicate that moco won't even ship the recall kit until next week. How can your dealer do this recall tomorrow?
Don't know, guess I'll find out when I get there but the service guy was well familiar with the issue, so perhaps they got additional information for MoCo not reported here.

Old 09-10-2014 | 01:49 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Don't know what they are going to do unless they just keep your bike until they receive the parts and directions on what needs to be done. My dealer and several others have posted that there dealers all said parts aren't being shipped until next week. I'm thinking they are confused and think you were talking about the clutch recall on the 14's from last October. You might want to call then back. I bet they aren't even aware of the new recall

Old 09-10-2014 | 01:50 PM
TheHHMF
Tourer

Don't know, guess I'll find out when I get there but the service guy was well familiar with the issue, so perhaps they got additional information for MoCo not reported here.
You sure you made clear this was the new recall, and not 0157, right?

By the way, as a dealership service department employee, you shouldn't schedule the recall service until after the 15th, that's when the kits expect to ship. So your dealer will NOT have the correct recall kit until then or later.

Quick Reply: ****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****