Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014 | 10:18 AM
atl fahrer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Howler_LI
By VIN, my bike shows the new open recall.

I wonder if the rebuild parts used then are different from what they are preparing to ship now?

By the way, you can stall the engine with the brakes or use the kill switch. Make a mental note to be prepared.
Can't speak specifically to your comment on what parts they used in your May rebuild, but, my '14 FLHX with a late July build date is sitting at the dealer (bought it Monday) and they won't release to me per MOCO directive until it gets the new parts...

Great safety pointer on the kill switch!

Old 09-10-2014 | 10:22 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain

Maybe we need those kill-switch leashes like they use on Jet Ski's? So when you fly off the bike it will shut off....

Old 09-10-2014 | 10:34 AM
lazye
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Howler_LI
By VIN, my bike shows the new open recall.

The clutch master cylinder was rebuilt under warranty in May due to dragging followed by complete failure. I wonder if the rebuild parts used then are different from what they are preparing to ship now?

By the way, you can stall the engine with the brakes or use the kill switch. Make a mental note to be prepared.
I thought it was no big deal to hit the kill switch also until I saw my friends bike lunging and bucking. It was all he could do to hold on to the handle bars. His RPM's also jumped to 2500.

Old 09-10-2014 | 10:45 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by lazye
I thought it was no big deal to hit the kill switch also until I saw my friends bike lunging and bucking. It was all he could do to hold on to the handle bars. His RPM's also jumped to 2500.
Sounds like your friend panicked and twisted the throttle.

Try letting your clutch out without giving it gas and your hand on the brake. The bike EASILY stalls.

Old 09-10-2014 | 10:54 AM
New Adventures
Intermediate
Default MFG Recall Number

Per: NHSTA using vin #
Year: 2014 Make: Harley-Davidson Model: Electra Glide UltraL
Number of Open Recalls: 1
NHTSA Recall Number: opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> Not AvailableRecall Date: September 8, 2014
Manufacturer Recall Number: 0159

Contacted my dealer, they just found out, not additional information available; Great I have a 2k trip scheduled this weekend.

Old 09-10-2014 | 11:04 AM
lazye
Cruiser

Originally Posted by offthewall
Sounds like your friend panicked and twisted the throttle.

Try letting your clutch out without giving it gas and your hand on the brake. The bike EASILY stalls.
what clutch? it was gone

Old 09-10-2014 | 11:07 AM
Six7One
Tourer

Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker
Maybe we need those kill-switch leashes like they use on Jet Ski's? So when you fly off the bike it will shut off....
LMAO...by the time that leash is pulled all f*cks to give about killing the engine would be gone.

Old 09-10-2014 | 11:09 AM
Six7One
Tourer

Originally Posted by lazye
what clutch? it was gone
I believe his point was with the clutch engaged and no throttle applied, the bike should have stalled. Perhaps when it bucked, the throttle got a twist. Not afar fetched probability.

Maybe this explains the creeping forward that the bike has started doing... And I thought it was me...

Old 09-10-2014 | 11:15 AM
junianby
6th Gear

Made my appointment for next week to get this recall done. The last couple of days, I've been having a hard time getting the bike to go into first gear. This happens when the bike is cold. And I'm getting a lot of clunking while shifting into other gears.

Nick
2014 Ultra Limited
Daytona Blue

Old 09-10-2014 | 12:32 PM
Bohacker
Road Master

This one is a bummer. I'm heading up to Fuel Moto this weekend for a 107 build that I've had scheduled for almost 3 months. 800 miles each way. Bike has been solid but I will certainly be mindful of this issue. Maybe I should contact a dealer close to them and see if I can't schedule an appointment to have it handled while I'm up there.

Quick Reply: ****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****