Sponsored by:

****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014 | 06:43 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
Can someone explain what it means by a "open recall" and a "closed recall" while checking with your vin number, thank you....
An Open Recall is one that hasn't been completed on your bike yet. A closed recall means your bike was recalled but a dealer has report that they completed the recall repair.

Old 09-09-2014 | 06:47 PM
lazye
Cruiser
Old 09-09-2014 | 06:59 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
An Open Recall is one that hasn't been completed on your bike yet. A closed recall means your bike was recalled but a dealer has report that they completed the recall repair.
Thanks Greg..

Old 09-09-2014 | 07:05 PM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain

If it's like last time, the dealers will fix the new bikes they have in stock first so they can sell them. I don't think they should but some dealers care more about making a sale then taking care of the customers that have already bought bikes.
This describes my dealer exactly. Worst customer service I've ever gotten. My bike started setting codes with 20 miles on it, the right fan won't run. Its going on 2 weeks and still not fixed. They don't even have the part yet. Now I have to deal with this. I'm starting to feel this 2015 is cursed right off the bat.

Old 09-09-2014 | 07:10 PM
Ghostrider1967
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I'll be checking with my dealer tomorrow. HD website says mine is affected.

Old 09-09-2014 | 07:11 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master

wow...from what im reading in Texas "lemon law" this 2nd recall for the clutch qualifies for a possible claim based on the serious safety hazard test.

Am I reading it all wrong?

2 clutch recalls...

The Serious Safety Hazard Test

A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard
  • once during first 12 months or 12,000 miles, and
  • once more during the 12 months (or 12,000 miles) following the first repair attempt, and
  • the problem continues to exist.

Old 09-09-2014 | 07:35 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GeneseeGap
wow...from what im reading in Texas "lemon law" this 2nd recall for the clutch qualifies for a possible claim based on the serious safety hazard test.

Am I reading it all wrong?

2 clutch recalls...

The Serious Safety Hazard Test

A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard
  • once during first 12 months or 12,000 miles, and
  • once more during the 12 months (or 12,000 miles) following the first repair attempt, and
  • the problem continues to exist.
I think this would be considered two separate issues. They both just happen to be with the clutch. The first recall was because someone put the manual clutch release plate in an unknown number of bikes with hydraulic clutches at the factory. They just had to open the clutch up and look in. Mine had nothing actually done to it during that first recall.

But I suppose if you really wanted out of your bike for some reason, you might have a case. I just want mine fixed. I love my bike and aint giving it back!

Old 09-09-2014 | 07:44 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by offthewall
I think this would be considered two separate issues. They both just happen to be with the clutch. The first recall was because someone put the manual clutch release plate in an unknown number of bikes with hydraulic clutches at the factory. They just had to open the clutch up and look in. Mine had nothing actually done to it during that first recall.

But I suppose if you really wanted out of your bike for some reason, you might have a case. I just want mine fixed. I love my bike and aint giving it back!
They used a kit to rebuild the master cylinder on all the recalled bikes. The clutch plate only effected a few of the bikes that were built with the wrong part's. Go to the HD site and read the details of the closed recall

Old 09-09-2014 | 09:38 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

They used a kit to rebuild the master cylinder on all the recalled bikes. The clutch plate only effected a few of the bikes that were built with the wrong part's. Go to the HD site and read the details of the closed recall
I stand corrected. Go lemon law your bike. I still love mine.

Old 09-09-2014 | 10:03 PM
twig
Tourer

Taking my SGS in on Sunday to have the primary looked at as it's rather noisy in there but sounds like I'll be a bit early for the clutch recall I hate having to go their and leave my bike now sounds like I'll be visiting the dealer twice this month.

Last edited by twig; 09-09-2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Quick Reply: ****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****