2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014 | 12:48 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain

My bike was the first one my local dealer did. They spilled some fluid when taking the cover off and you can see where it dripped across the control. I'm not too happy. Trying to clean it up now. Gonna call the service manager and bitch - again. I will going somewhere else from here on out.

Old 09-13-2014 | 12:51 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

[QUOTE=Greg2012FLHTK;13213150]Just returned home after getting the recall performed. Clutch has an easier pull now. /QUOTE]

Good to know, thanks! Always thought the clutch was a little stiff, I was actually getting slight pain in my left hand after riding, thought it was just me getting on in years, maybe it was the clutch pull tightening up a bit. I called my dealer, he said they were getting the repair kits in early next week and to call for an appointment, also said it was O.K. to ride it in. Thanks again for the update.

Old 09-13-2014 | 01:03 PM
Mister Breeze
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mister Breeze
Have mine in this morning for the free first service. Mentioned to the writer that since I live over an hour away, I'd like to have it done, while here.

They're doing it now.Asked for the headlight flash too. Should know if all OK in a couple hours.
Mine had everything done in 2.5 hours, including a bike wash. Recall was .9 hours. I'm happy.

Funny thing about the headlight flash.....Sales Manager had never heard of it and wanted to know where I found out. He was having his own personal bike done today! Then his buddies next week. Writer told me they did seven recalls yesterday.

Last edited by Mister Breeze; 09-13-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2014 | 01:14 PM
xhere
Road Captain

I called dealer this morning and scheduled recall for 10am. Went in the writer said about and hour. One of the sales guys took me back in the shop were they had a 15 RG that a guy just bought and they had it stripped for paint etc. the dude was spending 25k worth of ad on's including paint and motor work, hard to imagine spending that right out of the crate!
Any way I noticed they had my derby cover adjusting the clutch, I didn't know that was part of the recall, I noticed previous poster said he had v&h pd and it took 3 hrs and had to remove his exhaust. I have PD's and it took an hour and my exhaust was not removed.

Old 09-13-2014 | 01:21 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master

Got mine done today in about an hour, doesn't feel any different, but it's done.

Old 09-13-2014 | 01:50 PM
jester0618
Road Captain
Veteran: Navy

Mine's done. I could say the clutch feels easier to pull, but it might be my mind after reading others here. They also did the radio update. No nav, so probably won't see much.

Anyway, I'm happy. Minimal time off the bike. About an hour.

Old 09-13-2014 | 02:08 PM
RickDM
Road Master

I asked the local dealer in Conyers GA if they were planning to contact the owners of affected bikes. They said they were. Sevice department told me this morning that they did not have the parts. I got them to put me on the schedule for Wednesday afternoon assuming they would have the parts by then. Hmmmm...... I wonder why they dont have the parts like some other dealers in GA do?

Old 09-13-2014 | 03:36 PM
NCwrench
6th Gear

Mine is done.... I was the first to get it done according to the service department. Took them 1.5 hours to do it..... I did not notice anything different.... The service manager did tell me they replaced the piston and o-rings and had to bleed the system out....

Old 09-13-2014 | 03:37 PM
mcw999
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
Just returned home after getting the recall performed. Clutch has an easier pull now. It also doesn't start engaging until about half way out. Before it would start engaging just off the hand grip. Looking at work order it shows Kit, Recall 0159, clutch $47.51 and .90 hours labor. So at around $140 per bike times over 70,000 bikes plus the 2 other recalls and the filler neck program they have already had, going with the lowest cost vendors for parts on the Rushmore's are costing the MoCo a little money.
Good point. Where I once worked, the thought was that a bad part cost a factor of ten at each stage in the process. If it costs $1 to catch it at Receiving, it costs $10 if discovered while on the manufacturing floor, $100 if it makes it into the product before shipping out, and $1000 to fix it after delivery to the customer. We had to send field engineers out to fix stuff. So with travel, FE time, and cost of replacement part it can add up. Moral of the story is it is a lot cheaper to get good parts into the process than to chase them afterwards. Also there's the cost of unhappy customers...

Old 09-13-2014 | 05:56 PM
Streetin
Cruiser

Pulled into dealer today, salesman had no idea what I was talking about but looked it up on recall list. Came back and agreed there was a recall. Said it would take about an hour. I said ok. Took just over and hour to do the job. Clutch pull is easier than before. Glad I was able to get it done that quickly.
J & L has great customer service.

Quick Reply: ****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****