Sponsored by:

****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014 | 01:05 PM
jester0618
Road Captain
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by cruzrtwdgt
Thanks for the info. Noticed last night that mine was difficult to push out of the garage with the clutch in/motor off. Normally, rolls just like it is neutral.

Mine has been that way since day one. My 04 Roadking (cable actuated) was the same way. Didn't want to roll if in gear, clutch in. Are you sure it's a new thing?

Old 09-11-2014 | 01:19 PM
cruzrtwdgt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jester0618
Mine has been that way since day one. My 04 Roadking (cable actuated) was the same way. Didn't want to roll if in gear, clutch in. Are you sure it's a new thing?
Not 100 percent - but it was definitely more difficult than normal - enough that I thought "something is different here". I even stopped and looked to see if there was something under the tires. That coupled with the fact that it wanted to creep at the light, and that it is "clunking" more when shifting gears makes a lot of sense. Already called the dealer and he asked me to trailer it in Saturday morning.

Old 09-11-2014 | 01:51 PM
jester0618
Road Captain
Veteran: Navy

By the way, thank you for your years of service! Go Navy!

Old 09-11-2014 | 01:58 PM
Jagpanzer
Advanced

He mentioned it is just a new plunger for the clutch actuator. Despite being a simple device I'll admit I'm not very versed on the internal guts of the hydraulic clutch (all of mine have been cables to this point) but they acted like it was just a single quick replacement of this lone piece.

Old 09-11-2014 | 02:19 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jagpanzer
He mentioned it is just a new plunger for the clutch actuator. Despite being a simple device I'll admit I'm not very versed on the internal guts of the hydraulic clutch (all of mine have been cables to this point) but they acted like it was just a single quick replacement of this lone piece.
The plunger is what they replaced on the recall last October. I was hoping they had a whole new master cylinder this time. Hopefully your dealer didn't do last year's recall on your bike by mistake since the new parts for this recall aren't suppose to start shipping untill the 15th.

Old 09-11-2014 | 02:41 PM
MDSledhead
Cruiser

Wishing I wouldn't have transferred the tags from the Honda to the Limited now... what a bummer. Might have to dust off the golf clubs this weekend.

Old 09-11-2014 | 02:43 PM
Jagpanzer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
The plunger is what they replaced on the recall last October. I was hoping they had a whole new master cylinder this time. Hopefully your dealer didn't do last year's recall on your bike by mistake since the new parts for this recall aren't suppose to start shipping untill the 15th.
Hmmm... Well I'll check when I pick up the bike. Mine was manufactured in June so it already had everything done to it prior. I will try and get a more detailed description of the work.

Old 09-11-2014 | 02:56 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jagpanzer
Hmmm... Well I'll check when I pick up the bike. Mine was manufactured in June so it already had everything done to it prior. I will try and get a more detailed description of the work.
They came out with a new master cylinder with an "A" revision in the part number last spring. Maybe if you have the "A" revision you only need the plunger and those of us with the original version will get a whole new master cylinder. They quit rebuilding the master cylinders that failed after the rebuild and start replacing then with the new one last spring. I'm sure they will do whatever is cheapest to get the NHSTA off there back.

Old 09-11-2014 | 03:57 PM
Don81
Road Captain

Spoke with the local dealer today. He said the parts arrived today, and explained that it's the front cup for the plunger that apparently can tear somehow.

He didn't have "the bulletin" yet however so he couldn't enter the job in yet as recall work. Set me up for 1st thing Monday.

Old 09-11-2014 | 04:12 PM
atl fahrer
Cruiser

Got a call from the dealer today - the parts arrived and my bike is ready. Take delivery tomorrow. Will probably have it "broken in" by Sunday.

Quick Reply: ****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****