2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014 | 08:26 AM
Kwayz
Cruiser

My 2014 TK never had any problems with the clutch...UNTIL about a month AFTER the first clutch recall was done. Mine failed as I was coming home after a 3 hour ride, as I was trying to stop in my gravel driveway. If I had not had my foot on the REAR brake, which I applied HARD as I was reaching for the kill switch, I would certainly have crashed.

When the dealer sent the guy out to pick it up, I told him not to start the bike, that the clutch would feel like it was good, but that it would fail. He wouldn't listen to me, and when he pulled the bike around and headed for the trailer (again on my gravel driveway) he had his feet down, kind of walking the bike. When the clutch would not disengage, he was holding the front brake on hard, causing the front tire to slide through the gravel about 15 feet before he could get his hand on the kill switch. I was standing beside the bike trying to hold it up or he would have dropped it. We pushed the bike up on the trailer after that. And he knew I was NOT a happy camper about him not listening to me.

The repair was done about a month ago. The dealer installed a new, complete master cylinder (not a rebuild) and HD wanted the old one for analysis. So they knew something was up and were working on it trying to figure out what was causing it and come up with a fix for it. Hey, HD, I'm glad I could help! lol

So, it looks like my "new" master cylinder is going to have to be rebuilt with this new recall "kit".

I hope this one fixes the issue.

Yes, its very tiring to keep dealing with all of these problems, but I knew this was a new model and would have issues and I still like this bike better than any other bike I've ever had.

So, no, I don't want my money back. But I do want it fixed, fast, and don't want any more problems. (I would also like a billion dollars and a bunch of playboy bunnies to help me spend it, I'm not holding my breath for that either.)

Old 09-11-2014 | 08:34 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
They said they would start shipping parts next week. When they recalled the bikes for the clutch last October the dealers only got a few rebuild kits at a time. It took weeks for them to get enough parts for all the bikes then and they had only been sold for 7 weeks before the recall. This time they have over a years worth of bikes to fix. As of May they had sold over 66,000 of the Rushmore's. It's going to take awhile to get enough parts for all the recalled bikes.
I'll let you know how I make out next week. I'm first on the list.

Old 09-11-2014 | 08:56 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sam2010
I can't wait to go riding Saturday........
I know, right?

Old 09-11-2014 | 09:10 AM
RDM
Road Master

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
Was that on a 14 or a 15? Dealer didn't say for sure if the recall affect the 15's. He just said they couldn't deliver any new ones until repaired and the recall was just issued so I'm assuming it applies to the 15's also. Maybe someone with a 15 will look up there VIN on HD's website and let us know if there bike shows the recall also.
I've run the vin for my 15 Road Glide and it shows no open or closed recalls for the bike. Not sure of the build date but I took delivery of it on 9/3. I'm going to stop by the dealer and see what they have to say.

Old 09-11-2014 | 09:15 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by RDM
I've run the vin for my 15 Road Glide and it shows no open or closed recalls for the bike. Not sure of the build date but I took delivery of it on 9/3. I'm going to stop by the dealer and see what they have to say.
New clutch recall is only for 2014 models.

Old 09-11-2014 | 09:26 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hammz
Are you sure? The dealers have been told they can't deliver any new 14 or 15's until after the repair. Apparently they are still uploading the effected VIN's. Several people that check the HD website Tuesday had no open recalls but then they rechecked yesterday and it showed the recall. Maybe the older VINS are getting loaded to the website first. Don't know just guessing.

Old 09-11-2014 | 09:26 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

If this is the case; Harley has known about this issue for some time. Long enough to change the part for the 15's.

Old 09-11-2014 | 09:30 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain

You need to read the entire thread. This affects 14 and 15's. This is a new problem and recall. Not the problem that happened before. Dealers have been told not to deliver any new bikes until the parts are available and installed. That's supposed to happen next week sometime.

Old 09-11-2014 | 09:38 AM
RDM
Road Master

I ran my 15 Road Glide vin again and it still shows as nothing open or pending. I'm going to stop by the dealer and I'll keep checking the web site to see if it changes.I'll post if I hear differently from the dealer or see the info change on the site.

Old 09-11-2014 | 09:43 AM
Webo
Road Warrior

That's not the info I was told and read. It affects all bikes with hydraulic clutch built through 9/8/2014.

Quick Reply: ****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****