Sponsored by:

Seat Screw

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014 | 08:30 AM
sft-tale
|
Advanced
Default Seat Screw

I don't know if it's just me, but I have no problem removing the seat screw, it's trying to get the darn screw back in that gives me fits. My hands just don't fit in the small area very well. I can't count the number of times I had to use a magnet to fish the screw out from under the seat. It seems that a magnetic screwdriver won't hold the screw very well. I put a very tiny drop of super glue on the head of a phillips screwdriver and then put the screw onto it. The screw is held in place long enough to get it started and then comes off as your turning it in. Sounds kind of dumb, but it saves me a lot of aggravation.

Old 09-09-2014 | 08:38 AM
J929626
Road Master

Originally Posted by sft-tale
I don't know if it's just me, but I have no problem removing the seat screw, it's trying to get the darn screw back in that gives me fits. My hands just don't fit in the small area very well. I can't count the number of times I had to use a magnet to fish the screw out from under the seat. It seems that a magnetic screwdriver won't hold the screw very well. I put a very tiny drop of super glue on the head of a phillips screwdriver and then put the screw onto it. The screw is held in place long enough to get it started and then comes off as your turning it in. Sounds kind of dumb, but it saves me a lot of aggravation.

You can also open the Tour Pack to get more room.

Old 09-09-2014 | 08:47 AM
Jagpanzer
Advanced

I replaced it with the removable quick-release seat hardware thumbscrew that I had leftover after trading in the Road King.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...t-hardware-kit

Since you don't see it I'd guess a local hardware place would carry a cheaper alternative that isn't quite as flashy. Between this and removing the seat strap I don't need tools to pull it off while on the road. Neither does a thief I suppose but I'll take that chance.

Old 09-09-2014 | 08:51 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Buy one those Harley or aftermarket thumb screws with a larger head on it. That way you can make it somewhat easier to put it on and take it off.

Old 09-09-2014 | 09:07 AM
oldpanzer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jagpanzer
I replaced it with the removable quick-release seat hardware thumbscrew that I had leftover after trading in the Road King.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...t-hardware-kit

Since you don't see it I'd guess a local hardware place would carry a cheaper alternative that isn't quite as flashy. Between this and removing the seat strap I don't need tools to pull it off while on the road. Neither does a thief I suppose but I'll take that chance.
There are a bunch of inexpensive choices on Ebay. $20 for a little seat screw is too much. If you are having a hard time with a screwdriver how are you going to get just your finger tips in that tight space to turn the screw? Maybe a screwdriver with a flexible shaft.

Last edited by oldpanzer; 09-09-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-09-2014 | 09:20 AM
bzb123
Road Captain

I put on the Speed Tab from Kury.

I have 3 different seats that I interchange, and this only takes a second.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/848/Speed-Tab

Old 09-09-2014 | 09:20 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

I bought the Harley Thumbscrew for $20. My Indy didn't tighten it all the way and it fell off. I bought a whole bag of stainless steel bolts for $3, and some lock washers, now I take it on and off with a wrench.

I originally bought a 3/4 inch screw, but it was too long. I was concerned that it might hit the tire so I used a 1/2" bolt.

Old 09-09-2014 | 06:21 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bzb123
I put on the Speed Tab from Kury.

I have 3 different seats that I interchange, and this only takes a second.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/848/Speed-Tab
Precisely why I use a security Torx head screw. I don't want my nice RSD Enzo seat gone in 1 second when I park somewhere.

The other benefit is that the screw is held in place by the security screw driver tip so installation is a breeze. Cost $1.50 in stainless at the hardware store.

Old 09-10-2014 | 06:38 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

I fail to see the security in a dollar fifty bit you can buy it at just about any auto parts.

Old 09-10-2014 | 07:08 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sam2010
I fail to see the security in a dollar fifty bit you can buy it at just about any auto parts.
Or comes in the tool kit ................

Quick Reply: Seat Screw