2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Screw

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014 | 08:58 AM
oldpanzer
Advanced

You might find a machine screw here that you like.
http://www.grainger.com/category/fas...ecurity+screws

Old 09-10-2014 | 09:36 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sam2010
I fail to see the security in a dollar fifty bit you can buy it at just about any auto parts.

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Or comes in the tool kit ................
The "security" Torx screw has a pin in the middle so a regular Torx bit won't work.

Besides, it's meant to keep the honest ones honest. A real thief could have my bike in pieces in 10 minutes with the right power tools. But, a one second thumb screw might just be too much temptation for the casual would be thief. What made me consider that is being at an event during the Milwaukee Rally. We had to park our bikes 2 blocks from the "event" in some dark, unguarded parking lot with hundreds of other bikes. A friend and I reasoned that anyone could basically have whatever they wanted off our bikes with a Phillips screw driver. Not the least of which was his custom CVO seat and my brand new RSD seat.

And considering all the threads about people having quick release backrests, tourpacks, and saddle bags stolen, why make it easy on them? So I spent a measly $1.50 to install something that not everyone carries with them. I also bought the locking quick release for my tourpack and sissy bar.

Old 09-10-2014 | 09:40 AM
Howler_LI
Road Captain

I fail to see the security in a dollar fifty bit you can buy it at just about any auto parts.

Or comes in the tool kit
Security screws don't eliminate theft, they only reduce the population that can nip your bling.

All potential thieves have fingers to remove thumbscrews , a great many have common screwdrivers, fewer have Allen keys, least likely is specific security bits.

You really can't stop a determined, well prepared thief.

Old 09-10-2014 | 10:26 AM
bzb123
Road Captain

Geez....c'mon guys. We are talking about a seat. I have a custom distressed leather seat and an alligator seat with backrest. Have been riding for 35 years and have never heard of anyone having their seat stolen. Have been to Sturgis and other rallies over the years and have parked in some pretty sketchy places. Have talked to many, many bikers and not conversation ever included stolen seats.

That being said, the OP was looking for something to make it easier to remove his seat for maintenance. All these security items will be just as cumbersome as the original screw with screwdrivers.

Rant over......

Old 09-10-2014 | 11:09 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bzb123
Geez....c'mon guys. We are talking about a seat. I have a custom distressed leather seat and an alligator seat with backrest. Have been riding for 35 years and have never heard of anyone having their seat stolen. Have been to Sturgis and other rallies over the years and have parked in some pretty sketchy places. Have talked to many, many bikers and not conversation ever included stolen seats.

That being said, the OP was looking for something to make it easier to remove his seat for maintenance. All these security items will be just as cumbersome as the original screw with screwdrivers.

Rant over......
A $400 seat. That takes seconds to remove.

Things are getting worse all over and respect for our fellow man is on the decline. What used to be, is often no longer. There are numerous threads on stolen saddle bags and more recently, a detachable backrest. Brukus has a business based on preventing theft of our parts. But hey - if you want to be the easy target, go for it. My bike will get passed over for yours.

FYI - I addressed the OP's concern. The security Torx holds onto the fastener much better than the phillips screw. It's very easy to swap seats for me now. And as a bonus - my seat won't be the 1st one posted here as stolen.

Last edited by nevada72; 09-10-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2014 | 07:52 PM
sft-tale
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by bzb123

Rant over......
Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. I don't care about someone walking off with my seat. I just want a way to get it off/on for normal maintenance. I have a ultra limited and my hand can barely fit in the space that your supposed to screw the back of seat down. Anything that requires you to get your hand in there would be useless.

Old 09-10-2014 | 08:01 PM
captainron62
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jagpanzer
I replaced it with the removable quick-release seat hardware thumbscrew that I had leftover after trading in the Road King.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...t-hardware-kit

Since you don't see it I'd guess a local hardware place would carry a cheaper alternative that isn't quite as flashy. Between this and removing the seat strap I don't need tools to pull it off while on the road. Neither does a thief I suppose but I'll take that chance.
Was just going to post same thing. I just did mine tonight when I put my old RK seat on the LMTD. With the thumbscrew you don't have to worry about dropping screwdriver, screw, etc.

Old 09-10-2014 | 08:19 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sft-tale
Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. I don't care about someone walking off with my seat. I just want a way to get it off/on for normal maintenance. I have a ultra limited and my hand can barely fit in the space that your supposed to screw the back of seat down. Anything that requires you to get your hand in there would be useless.
Well I've had a few beers and Rye with my friends and I'll address this just as I would them a few moments ago -

A - You clearly missed my point. The Torx security screw is held in nicely by the bit and makes for easy seat swaps. The added security is a fringe benefit for those of us that have seats worth stealing (i.e. not you)

B - Your Super Glue solution is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard of, but by all means, keep doing that.

C - The Vi-Queens suck!

Carry on.

Old 09-10-2014 | 08:21 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master

Originally Posted by sft-tale
You must have some ridiculously large hands! If you open the tour pack it opens up the area where the seat screw is.