2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lets see the Apes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 11:00 PM
Caddywompas
Novice

Has anyone tried the Klock Werks Ergo Up Bars on the 2014 FLHXS?

Old 04-07-2015 | 06:54 AM
junglejoe
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by offthewall
Heated grip
My bike doesn't have heated grips. All bikes must come with it wired then..??

Old 04-07-2015 | 07:29 AM
jpalm
Road Captain

Check out these badass apes!

Old 04-07-2015 | 08:00 AM
cey800
6th Gear

'14s and some douche spikes

Attached Thumbnails lets see the Apes!-image.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015 | 02:15 PM
HillBillieWG
Advanced

Originally Posted by cey800
'14s and some douche spikes
Are those chrome hand controls (clutch perch and level and front brake perch and lever)? What brand?

Old 04-07-2015 | 03:12 PM
Rasconzo
Tourer

Originally Posted by txm8de
New 15" HD Apes

Sick bike brother.
I pick up my 2015 Vivid RSG next week and this is the look I am going for.

Old 04-08-2015 | 03:09 PM
owensmech
Advanced

Originally Posted by junglejoe
My bike doesn't have heated grips. All bikes must come with it wired then..??
From what a few of people say on here, I'm thinking thats the case. Which makes sense, then theyre only manufacturing one wiring harness for all touring bikes, to save from making so many iterations, like car companies do. If I knew for sure I would go buy a set of Heated grips from Kutter for 166 bucks and just plug and play. I'll have to see if I have em there on both sides of mine, because I just dont feel like putting hours in rerouting wires to install them. I just have heard people say dont bother buying aftermarkets because HD ones plug and go so easily. I'll have to get off my ace and check though, because the 29 degree morning the other day, destroyed my hands on the ride to work. Then I get on here and see a bunch of people with them, and then their location says Texas or Florida, and I think "wait a second, I ride in 30 degrees with thick leather gloves and freeze my cojones off, while these guys have heated grips in temps warmer than most of my warm days in the summer". If theyre anything like the ones polaris put on my sled, which keep me warm with mechanics gloves in -10 to 10 degrees, then they seem like a worth while purchase.
If anyone has thrown a set on their 14 FLHXS, feel free to let me know, either or on here or in a PM.

Old 04-08-2015 | 04:41 PM
dmize
Road Captain

For those that have pulled wires...

On my 2010 I had to remove the ruber / plastic sheeting that was covering the wires when they were external. I wrapped the wires in electrical tape from top to bottom and then pulled them with the pins on.

I think if I were to do it again, I will cut and solder the wires with extensions and not mess with the connectors.... but my question is... do you still have to remove a sheeting?

D.

Old 04-08-2015 | 04:58 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by owensmech
From what a few of people say on here, I'm thinking thats the case. Which makes sense, then theyre only manufacturing one wiring harness for all touring bikes, to save from making so many iterations, like car companies do. If I knew for sure I would go buy a set of Heated grips from Kutter for 166 bucks and just plug and play. I'll have to see if I have em there on both sides of mine, because I just dont feel like putting hours in rerouting wires to install them. I just have heard people say dont bother buying aftermarkets because HD ones plug and go so easily. I'll have to get off my ace and check though, because the 29 degree morning the other day, destroyed my hands on the ride to work. Then I get on here and see a bunch of people with them, and then their location says Texas or Florida, and I think "wait a second, I ride in 30 degrees with thick leather gloves and freeze my cojones off, while these guys have heated grips in temps warmer than most of my warm days in the summer". If theyre anything like the ones polaris put on my sled, which keep me warm with mechanics gloves in -10 to 10 degrees, then they seem like a worth while purchase.
If anyone has thrown a set on their 14 FLHXS, feel free to let me know, either or on here or in a PM.
I've ran them twice on my 14. Stock is wired for heated grip and has the connections ready. You do, however, have to run the wires from the left hand grip, from the grip to the bottom, then up right side to connect to the TGS pigtail for heated grips, and the right heated grip has a connection to the outside plug on the TGS. You'll have to pop off the stock cap that's there. If you have apes, you need to extend the wires to reach the right side, but that's a simple cut and splice deal, (you don't need to buy extensions). After all that, the wiring that exits the bars at the bottom plugs in to the heated grip power, that connector comes stock.

Originally Posted by dmize
For those that have pulled wires...

On my 2010 I had to remove the ruber / plastic sheeting that was covering the wires when they were external. I wrapped the wires in electrical tape from top to bottom and then pulled them with the pins on.

I think if I were to do it again, I will cut and solder the wires with extensions and not mess with the connectors.... but my question is... do you still have to remove a sheeting?

D.
I didn't have to; I guess it would depend on the bars but, naturally yes it'd be easier with less material. You could spend $100 for a CVO TGS (there's no green plug) and not have connectors in the bars. If you went that route you'd have to de-pin the CVO TGS and flip its sex with new connectors, though. Not too difficult.

The following users liked this post:
billablehours (03-17-2017)
Old 04-08-2015 | 05:02 PM
sixshooter
Road Master

Originally Posted by dmize
So how hard are these to wire internally? I pulled wires on my 2010 RG and it was a PITA. Wonder if these new rushmore are any easier? I'm guessing it really depends on the bars and the bends?
Seeing as how your bike has what, like 12, 16 wires per side and the rushmores are canbus, it's much easier. I can't remember for sure but I want to say there's 4 or 5 wires on the left side and same on the right, plus 6 for the tbw. I run the cvo assembly and its run through bars with sharp top bends, it was just as easy if not easier than doing them internally on my 07 softail with 10-14 wires per side.

Quick Reply: lets see the Apes!