Sponsored by:

lets see the Apes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014 | 07:18 AM
junglejoe
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2012fxdwg
Those welds are terrible!!!! Was thinking of ordering a pair of those but not worth the hassle. I live in Canada and if I have to return them, I would be P#*t to put it mildly.
Those welds are A LOT worse than what those pics show! To be honest, if I had to do over, "I would have ordered from somewhere else and different bars had I known it would have taken over a month to get my damn bars!!!" Shipping back and waiting just aint worth the freakin headache to me!
Now I'm starting to see what others are saying about these bars, to far back, having to cut more than than the 1/8 off the fairing... yeah, not worth the trouble to me!

Old 10-15-2014 | 02:03 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

I do not have apps but considering them, but never road a bike with ape hangers. My son changed the stock bars to straight bars on Sportster (no rise but maybe 15degree ends). I road the bike with both bars and the straights felt more incontrol to me, the stocks were only about 4" rise, they felt cool and all but with the straight bars I felt more part of the motorcycle. Question for the guys that have the apes: do you think your in full control of the bike in rain, curves and advers conditins? Do you think a new rider should use the ape hangers?

Last edited by Gwaxley; 10-15-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Cause
Old 10-15-2014 | 02:57 PM
sixshooter
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
I do not have apps but considering them, but never road a bike with ape hangers. My son changed the stock bars to straight bars on Sportster (no rise but maybe 15degree ends). I road the bike with both bars and the straights felt more incontrol to me, the stocks were only about 4" rise, they felt cool and all but with the straight bars I felt more part of the motorcycle. Question for the guys that have the apes: do you think your in full control of the bike in rain, curves and advers conditins? Do you think a new rider should use the ape hangers?
My first aped bike was my deuce, had 12's on 1.5" risers. Once I rolled them forward enough, I could ride that bike all day with no discomfort. I could ride that Softail longer than i can my SGS now. My vindikta's are too close to my body for me to just "hang" by my arms and use them to hold my upper body upright, so to hold my body upright is all on my lower back or keeping my bent arms tensed to do it, and after an hour and a half or so, I'm ready to be done riding. Problem should go away when I do my yaffe 16's. I've never had any control issues with apes, IMO, the geometry of apes give you more leverage over the steering forces you're trying to counteract, making steering easier.

Old 10-19-2014 | 09:27 AM
junglejoe
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
To answer your question... YES! In FULL control at all times! My brother just rode my dyna yesterday for the first time with Apes(for him) His response was.... " feels a hell of a lot better and comfortable with taller bars!"

Old 10-19-2014 | 10:14 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by junglejoe
To answer your question... YES! In FULL control at all times! My brother just rode my dyna yesterday for the first time with Apes(for him) His response was.... " feels a hell of a lot better and comfortable with taller bars!"
Can't dis-agree with you at this point, because we were at the local HD dealer Friday just look around. There was a 09 sportster bobber in the parking lot, it had a little tan leather seat, chopped fender, stage 1 with V&H and some apes 14"+ not sure but cool little bike. But what caught my eye was the kick stand worn half down from dragging the road in the curves (on the flat part) with it up. I wanted to talk to the kid but by the time I seen him get on it and get over there, he had fired up, out the parking lot and down the road. Like he had robbed the place Lol. Anyway the apes must work pretty damn good.

Old 10-19-2014 | 11:16 AM
Deaniverson15
Intermediate

16" Apes on my 14 street glide

Old 10-19-2014 | 02:52 PM
Tgidry
4th Gear

Had 16" on my 05 Roadking Custom and felt more in control than with the stock ones. I plan on 16" apes from Carlini Design for my 14 SGS. At least that is my plan for now, I may change my mind later and go with another brand.

Last edited by Tgidry; 10-19-2014 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Extra info
Old 10-19-2014 | 04:01 PM
FlyByWire
Cruiser

I love those Vinditka bars, but wish they were closer to the fairing like the Yaffe's

Old 10-19-2014 | 07:26 PM
JiXeR
Tourer

question on the namz extensions. i see in the link someone posted that you can get the namz extensions for those vindiktas bars, and i was told to get the 12" extensions (part #NTBW-X12) to be safe. my question is, on namz website, there's the 12" extensions, then there's the plug-n-play up to 20" bars (part # NTBW-4202) wouldn't that be the way to go? that should save a lot of time on wiring, right?

http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.c...e_ext.html#top

Old 10-19-2014 | 07:51 PM
sixshooter
Road Master

I got the longest ones namz offered. For the few dollars more it cost, I figured there's plenty of space in there to hide any excess. I think mine were 15"? And FYI, if you order from namz, you're going to get a shipping label before they ship them, It's automatically generated. It took like a week and half to get my extensions and they're just the next state over. The excuse I got is it took a week to "build" my extensions. My shipping label came 2 days after my order, they didn't ship for a week after that.

Last edited by sixshooter; 10-19-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: lets see the Apes!