Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shot wheel bearing(s) at 3,000 mi???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014 | 10:49 PM
sixshooter
|
Road Master
Default shot wheel bearing(s) at 3,000 mi???

Well, I'm just shy of 3,000 miles on my SGS, and for the last week or so I could have sworn I was hearing an abnormal amount of what seemed like tire hum coming from the rear end. Tonight I did about 100 miles round trip and by the time I got home, it was so pronounced over 30 mph, I could hear it over my radio at about 1/3 volume if I turned my head to the side and back a bit. Just like i said already, sounds like tire hum, but between 30 and 50 mph with the clutch in and engine idling, I swerve left and it gets a bit louder, swerve right and it pretty much goes away completely. Got home, took the bags off, and went for a trip around the block and good god, you'd think I was in my pickup with MT's humming down the road! It was terrible! I even took an infrared thermometer and shot the hub on each side, my right side was about 20 degrees hotter than the left. I didnt' see any abnormal wear on the tire to indicate that's what is making the noise, and I couldn't feel any free play when I grabbed the tire and shook it side to side. I checked for rubbing anywhere, none to be found. I can't find my damn tire pressure gauge, so barring that being the issue, looks like the dealer has some work to do. Anyone else have an issue? Did a search in this forum, didn't come up with anything.

Old 09-05-2014 | 10:58 PM
KMC1
Tourer

Since you took the bags off, I'm assuming this is the rear wheel?

First thing is to check the belt tightness - you could smoke a wheel bearing very quickly is a chain or belt is too tight.

Old 09-05-2014 | 11:14 PM
sixshooter
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by KMC1
Since you took the bags off, I'm assuming this is the rear wheel?

First thing is to check the belt tightness - you could smoke a wheel bearing very quickly is a chain or belt is too tight.
Yeah it's the rear end, hence why I said the hum was coming from the rear end lol. I don't have the actual tool for checking tension, but the last time it was touched was at the 1000 mile service so either way it's the dealers problem. Just hope it isn't forever before it can get fixed.

Old 09-05-2014 | 11:19 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior

I'm not saying this is the cause of your issues, but Dealers are known for pressure washing their customers scoots. My 06' still has original bearings at 80K. It's never been pressure washed. Jus sayin!

BOB

Old 09-05-2014 | 11:28 PM
sixshooter
|
Road Master

They've never power washed mine. I brought it in for the 1000 mile service right when I got back from Florida and when I got it back, still had sand on it.

Old 09-06-2014 | 05:43 AM
CipoWins42
Road Captain

There hasn't been a consistent number of miles that these wheel bearings last, even when all is proper. Ask that everything related be checked and have them replaced. Hopefully the next set will last longer.

Old 09-06-2014 | 08:30 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior

Had an older electraglide, belt was tightened to much, sounded like a flying saucer, took a bit after service to start making the noise

Old 09-06-2014 | 11:15 AM
sixshooter
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by tpcowfish
Had an older electraglide, belt was tightened to much, sounded like a flying saucer, took a bit after service to start making the noise
Yeah that's what mine sounds like. Had a tech (about 60 years old with probably **** poor hearing anyway) ride it and he said he "kind of" heard what I was talking about. They went over it on the lift and then the service manager rode it and said it's normal tire noise, and he could hear the belt shifting on the pulley a few times. He said they loosened the belt, it was a little too tight. They documented it, guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it. Rode it home the short 5 minute drive, could still hear it but I guess not as bad as before? I dunno, I'm gonna have to wait and see what the next long ride brings.

Old 09-06-2014 | 11:29 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

'00 to '07 ran 21 mm wide "double row" ball bearings and were bulletproof typically. (Changed mine out at 100,000 miles.) '08 and later they went down to 15 mm wide single row ball bearings on any bike running the 25 mm axle. There have been problems with these on occasion.

Old 09-06-2014 | 11:41 AM
flight risk
Advanced

I am having the same problem, except my noise is on the front wheel. I have not taken it to the dealer yet, but have plans in the very near future. However, I do suspect it will deemed as a "normal" noise, although, my previous models haven't made noises like this! 5K on my ultra vent.

Quick Reply: shot wheel bearing(s) at 3,000 mi???