2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shot wheel bearing(s) at 3,000 mi???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014 | 06:30 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

Dunlops do sing/hum, put on Michelin Commander II's no more noise.However my front wheel has sparkly specs of metal around the bearing, New ones and tool on the way. I'll put some pics up and follow this thread.

Old 09-08-2014 | 06:53 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

A little off topic. But check your callipers & rotors for dirt or glazing problem. I thought I had bearing issues at 5000. Wired noises, over heated on brake side. Thirty year HD tech even failed on this problem. Simple abs rated brake cleaner solved it. Carefully use it, read instructions. Use a rag on rotors & free spin wheels.

Old 09-08-2014 | 07:13 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

Coincidentally I've also ordered Lyndall pads and the Thunderstar chrome polished full floating rotors.Got em from Kutter online before the '15 price increase. HD raised em all 50$ in the new catalog :P. Gonna polish the lowers as long as I'm taking it all apart anyway. Oh btw I'm at 20k miles.

Old 09-08-2014 | 09:29 PM
sixshooter
|
Road Master

Thanks for all the input guys. It'll probably be the weekend before I can get out on a decent ride and see if it's still makin the noise. I've had front brake squealing since just before the 1000 mile mark that's annoyed the hell out of me, seemed to actually get worse after the dealer did the 1000 mile service. I ran lyndall's on my deuce, wasn't impressed at all, they never seemed to grab like I expected they would, but that may have been due to the aftermarket forward controls I installed at the same time as the new pads and I just wasn't used to a new rear brake system.

Dealer loosened the belt, but if it was an over tightened belt and the bearings actually on their way out, damage is done now and I'll be running around hoping they don't **** out on me 100 miles from home. I rarely ever do my own work on my Harley's even tho I've been a mechanic for 15+ years, I can afford to pay someone else now so I do, but cases like this make me nervous and have me second guessing not doing my own work.

Old 09-10-2014 | 08:27 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

I've noticed a new HUM coming from the rear but was assuming that as the tires wear in they get louder. In the past with automobiles it's always been the tires. Hard to believe that a bearing could start humming at 3K miles. Guess I'll have them check when it's in for the clutch recall.

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:52 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master

I changed the bearings on my '07 Ultra at 50,000 just because it made sense to me. I traded it in at 75K and never had a problem. I have a '13 Limited with 14k+ on it and I now have similiar issues as described in this thread. I get the "hums" too. Worse on left hand leans than right. But I have written that off to tire cupping. These Dunlops really do suck! The problem that is driving me crazy is that when ever applying a lot of front brake (sudden highway traffic jam), I get a bad vibration in the front end. Not ABS like, more like a warped front rotor(s). I checked runout with a dial indicator and both rotors are within HD specs. A friend suggested wiping the rotors clean with lacquer thinner. He said I was experiencing a "Grab/Slip" condition because of grease or oil on the rotors. I used brake wash and amazingly this worked, for about a week. Then the vibration returned. I inspected the front bearings as well as I can without removing the wheel from the bike. I do not see any evidence of grease leaks or metal shavings indicating a failing bearing. The rotors do not exhibit any evidence either. I thought maybe one or both calipers was leaking brake fluid onto the rotors but can't find any evidence of that either. I have inspected the front end and wiped the rotors clean three times now. Each time it lasts about a week. Could it just be oil & grime from the road? Doubtful but I am at a loss now.

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:55 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master

Sorry. Just realized this is the Rushmore section and not the regular touring section. I'll post it in the apporpriate section. Sorry guys.