2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that their kickstand is a little inadequate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014 | 07:25 AM
motorcycleboy
Cruiser

Nah, the jiffy stand is a simple design, that's never needed improvement. As long as the weight is on it, the bike can roll or slide forward and still stand. The flipside, if you forget to put it up, unweighted, the stand goes up quite uneventfully as soon as it bumps the ground- ask me how I know.

Old 08-30-2014 | 07:45 AM
fdxguy
Advanced

I agree, the stand freaks me out, always have. This is my sixth Harley and none of them have ever failed. Guess that little movement makes my OCD kick in lol

Old 08-30-2014 | 09:42 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior

As long as its locked in it will never fall over.
Go buy a Honda if you want a kick stand that folds up on ya.

Old 08-30-2014 | 12:43 PM
bigboomerFLSTC
Advanced

I had the same thoughts on the Jiffy Stand. I just installed the center stand on my 2014 Ultra Limited, main reason is that the wife feels more comfortable gettin on the bike on the center stand.

Old 08-30-2014 | 01:24 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mozvader
I recently bought a 14 Street Glide Special and I find myself a little uncomfortable with the kickstand. Like the bike could fall easily?
As everyone else has said, just make sure it's fully extended. Two Harleys in 13 years and the stand has never failed.

Also, Always park it in gear. It's a heavy *** bike.

Old 08-30-2014 | 06:15 PM
ultramotive
Advanced

I concur, it's a great design. If you put the bike on a jack you can see exactly how it works, basically a pin that engages a slot to lock it in position. And as someone else said if you forget and leave it down it kicks up very readily when it contacts the ground.

Old 08-30-2014 | 07:49 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bigboomerFLSTC
I had the same thoughts on the Jiffy Stand. I just installed the center stand on my 2014 Ultra Limited, main reason is that the wife feels more comfortable gettin on the bike on the center stand.
That's interesting . . . I don't let my wife get on or off unless I'm in my seat with my feet firmly set. She gets on last and gets off first, I'm wondering how a centerstand would make a difference?

Old 08-30-2014 | 08:04 PM
Ghostrider1967
Cruiser

Heavy A@# bike big time! There is more forward movement when the stand is down and locked compared to my previous 01 Fatboy. I had to see myself why this was different and if you look at it when it's down, there is more play in the keyed part when locked, but stops at a longer distance than my Fatboy. As long as it is all the way forward before you lean over you are golden.

Old 08-30-2014 | 08:11 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigboomerFLSTC
Where did you get the center stand, and how hard is it to pull the bike up on it?
I figured the bike was too heavy for a center stand to work?

Old 08-30-2014 | 08:20 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Faulkner
That's interesting . . . I don't let my wife get on or off unless I'm in my seat with my feet firmly set. She gets on last and gets off first, I'm wondering how a centerstand would make a difference?
This.

I don't trust a center stand... I'm afraid the right wiggle would send it down. But I've not had a center stand since my 1970 Suzuki T500III.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or does anyone else feel that their kickstand is a little inadequate?