Sponsored by:

CFR slips on's and tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:13 AM
oldpanzer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CFR slips on's and tune?

I have extensively looked at the type of exhaust's that are available for my new 2014 Ultra Limited. I have narrowed it down to the RCX or the CFR slip on's.
I prefer the low rumble of the CFR since it sounds similar to my muscle cars. One thing that I picked up on was a 'requirement' that if you put on the CFR must get a tune else you might damage the new exhaust. I am guessing that the engine controller would run the engine too lean and then the exhaust would be too hot. The RCX are slip on and ride. If you add the higher cost of the CFR to start and then have to get a tune the cost becomes prohibitive.
So do you 'have' to get a tune? I would expect you can draw out more horsepower if you tune it but I don't want the cost of both just to install the slip on exhaust.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:54 AM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer

Someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe the general consensus is, if you only change your slip on mufflers and not the head pipe, or the intake, you don't have to retune. I wouldn't think there would be anything so special about the CFR's to cause you to NEED to tune it just for slip ons. Most aftermarket parts manufacturers will probably recommend a tune if you change ANY performance related part, but they also aren't too worried about your savings account

Old 08-19-2014, 07:15 AM
wojo1965
Cruiser

There is a misconception about adding slip ons and not having to tune, You will notice a difference in power, gas mileage and performance if you don't tune with slip ons and it doesn't matter what you go with, they should all be tuned, I have had several Harley s with all kinds of slip ons and I have had to tune everyone of them.

On my 2014 Limited I put cfr slip ons and at first did not tune but after a 700 mile ride up and down hills I bought a power vision and a stage 1 air kit from fuel moto, I told them what I was running and they set the map before shipment and when I put the ac kit and flashed the tuner, all I can say is WOW, this is the best running Harley I have owned and the cfr's are the best sounded pipes I have owned.

Wojo