Sponsored by:

Tuner? V&H FP3 or power commander V

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 04:15 AM
Scaffido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuner? V&H FP3 or power commander V

I need a tuner for my bike for a one time tune, full exhaust and air cleaner. I'm interested in the fuel pak 3 or power commander V. $300 range. I don't need the power vision like everyone will recommend. Or the $600 price tag. . It will be a one time tune and done.
I'm leaning towards the FP3 for the Bluetooth smartphone feature seeing I don't have a laptop to take to the garage and hook up. The guys at fuel moto said they would pre program the power commander V to get it close to my setting.

Any suggestions one which one would work best and easiest???

Old 08-17-2014, 07:07 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Scaffido
I need a tuner for my bike for a one time tune, full exhaust and air cleaner. I'm interested in the fuel pak 3 or power commander V. $300 range. I don't need the power vision like everyone will recommend. Or the $600 price tag. . It will be a one time tune and done.
I'm leaning towards the FP3 for the Bluetooth smartphone feature seeing I don't have a laptop to take to the garage and hook up. The guys at fuel moto said they would pre program the power commander V to get it close to my setting.

Any suggestions one which one would work best and easiest???
I've owned a fair amount of Harley's over the years and have used just about all the popular tuners (SERT, PCV, Thundermax & FP3). I most recently used the FP3 in my Dyna and currently use 1 on my Limited. The FP3 is user friendly and the install is "idiotproof". The only downside is that V&H don't have any maps for cam upgrades.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Scaffido
Tourer

The more I read up on the FP3, the more I like it. It appears so easy. Correct on the cams and also, once parred to the bike it stays with that bike. Can't be used on any other.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:04 AM
Ghostrider1967
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the FP3 it is so easy to use. You can flash your bike in minutes. Run Auto Tune if needed, view error codes, check realtime data while riding. I have a ram mount with my phone linked to the FP3 via bluetooth. I had a Power Commander on my Fatboy. Had to pop the seat off, hook up the cord and view on a laptop. FP3 is a lot easier.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:28 AM
surfnorthwest
Banned
Received 28,952 Likes on 9,573 Posts

FP3 did a nice job on the tune with my Stage 1. Yes it was easy but I also run a full VH system. Have not found it necessary to go further and run the Auto-tune function. Very happy with the performance and the smoothness of the canned tuned from the FP3.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:30 AM
surfnorthwest
Banned
Received 28,952 Likes on 9,573 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
I've owned a fair amount of Harley's over the years and have used just about all the popular tuners (SERT, PCV, Thundermax & FP3). I most recently used the FP3 in my Dyna and currently use 1 on my Limited. The FP3 is user friendly and the install is "idiotproof". The only downside is that V&H don't have any maps for cam upgrades.

I was told to run auto-tune if upgrading a cam and send them the map/data where they will fine tune it for you for the new cam.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The FP3 looks very nice and for a stage 1 I think any of the tuners would be more than enough. I would think V&H will develop maps for cam changes later down the line but I guess there is no guarantee. I have the SEPST for HD and it runs about $450 with the cables you need to tune the bike. It's not the user friendliest either but does a great job..lol.. I would really like to try the FP3 but at this point I'm not going to spend the money on a part I already have so to speak.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:52 AM
cprking
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the FP3 installed on both my 2014 Street Glide and Street Bob. Couldn't be happier. Only have stage 1 and that's all I plan on doing. Bikes run cooler and much smoother. I also have owned a lot of Harley's and used a lot of tuners. This is the easiest tuner I've ever used.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:48 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I am running the FP3 with Cobra Power Ports, SE A/C and Vance and Hines Twin Slash Rounds. No problems so far, ( knock on wood ) very use friendly, and economical, Great for my needs. I hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:18 PM
FlyingBear
Intermediate

Ditto on the FP3. I'm not an experienced wrencher on HDs, but, this weekend, I installed a Fuel Moto air cleaner and V&H Power Ovals on my Ultra Limited, and used the FP3 to flash the 'bike. It all went very easily indeed. The butt dyno tells me that there's a little more power and torque, and the 'bike feels smoother, and runs cooler.

Quick Reply: Tuner? V&H FP3 or power commander V