Sponsored by:

Mustang Seat problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Ronstopable
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mustang Seat problem

Hey guys I have a Mustang touring seat 76033 on my new 2014 Street Glide Special. My brother has a 2014 Ultra Limited withe the same seat. Both seats have play in the front of the seat. When you stand over the bike and grab the nose of the seat it moves like an inch side to side in either direction. The front rubber stops underneath aren't even touching the frame. But when I sit on the seat its all good, it doesn't move. It looks like the receiver bracket on the seat is a little longer than the tongue. I called Mustang and talked to them, and they're not sure why it's doing that, but that it is the right seat for our year.

Any of you guys with 2014's having this problem? Any fixes? I really don't feel like wrapping a roll of duct tape around the tongue to try to make it work.

Thanks everybody!

Old 08-17-2014, 01:49 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

Day tripper seat, goes on very easy but does fit with the front bracket and no play up front.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:53 AM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I have a mustang super touring and it fits tight. If your seats are still with warranty you may want to consider sending them in to be repaired. I had a mustang once that the screw down bracket on the rear of the seat was out of place. Mustang makes good seats but they are not perfect. If the same bracket on yours is too far in it would pull the nose of the seat back which could result in a lose fit.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:55 AM
nsdhoward45
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronstopable
Hey guys I have a Mustang touring seat 76033 on my new 2014 Street Glide Special. My brother has a 2014 Ultra Limited withe the same seat. Both seats have play in the front of the seat. When you stand over the bike and grab the nose of the seat it moves like an inch side to side in either direction. The front rubber stops underneath aren't even touching the frame. But when I sit on the seat its all good, it doesn't move. It looks like the receiver bracket on the seat is a little longer than the tongue. I called Mustang and talked to them, and they're not sure why it's doing that, but that it is the right seat for our year.

Any of you guys with 2014's having this problem? Any fixes? I really don't feel like wrapping a roll of duct tape around the tongue to try to make it work.

Thanks everybody!
I dont know but you gotta be missing the tang i have a mustang seat on my 14 limited and it dosnt move at all
you do start with the seat 1-2 inch's to the rear and you have to push down on the middle of the front seat and slide it forward at the same time to get the tang on the frame pocket on the seat to engage not real easy to do the first couple of times but when you get it in it will not move

Old 08-17-2014, 09:41 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Must be doing something wrong at the tang and missing it somehow, Mustangs fit like a glove

Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 AM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by nsdhoward45
I dont know but you gotta be missing the tang i have a mustang seat on my 14 limited and it dosnt move at all
you do start with the seat 1-2 inch's to the rear and you have to push down on the middle of the front seat and slide it forward at the same time to get the tang on the frame pocket on the seat to engage not real easy to do the first couple of times but when you get it in it will not move
True. I have to push down while pushing forward to start the seat on the tang and then take both hands on each side of the seat and finish pushing it all the way up. They are a tight fit

Old 08-17-2014, 02:25 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

What they Said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 08-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Ronstopable
Cruiser

Thanks guys. I'm hitting the tang for sure. I can't push it in any farther cause it hits the tank. I also can't lift it up cause it's in the tang, when I move it side to side i hear it hit each side of the bracket. Heres a couple pics of the tang, and the marks the tang is making on the seat bracket. It looks like the tang is barely going in the brackets. i removed the scores next to the tang and on top where the dash is and it wont move. Looks like i might have to get the tank off to see what other screws are under holding the tang down. It seems that plate should move. Have any of ever had to move that tang? the brown part on the seat is dust thats collected, it shows that the tang is barely going in.I just think it's crazy that it's happening on my brother's bike too. Maybe the way the dealers adjusted it???

Old 08-17-2014, 05:21 PM
nsdhoward45
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

So when you you have the front tang engaged does the rear seat tap line up with the fender boss ?

Old 08-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Ronstopable
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nsdhoward45
So when you you have the front tang engaged does the rear seat tap line up with the fender boss ?
It's short of the screw hole

Quick Reply: Mustang Seat problem