Sponsored by:

Chrome Enforcer wheel picture

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 02:44 PM
dkclimber
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ds33gt
Anyone have a good video/link for lower exchange on the 14's. Shop manual is slighlty confusing and says you need several HD specific tools to do the job(lower holder, oil seal installer, oil level check tool). Trying to do this all myself to save on the $1200 my dealer wanted to charge on labor for a bunch of work.

For the folks that did the wheel swap did you install new wheel bearings or reuse? I would think new bearings aren't a bad idea with the force exerted on them when removing...
I did my own work also. Installed Chrome Front End Kit (lowers and sliders), Chrome Enforcer Wheel, and polished rotors.

For the chrome front end I purchased a 49mm fork seal driver and a suspension oil filler gauge ($60 for both). Took me about 2-1/2 hours using the service manual. I had never done one before and I'm not a mechanic.

For the new wheel I had an old bicycle neck bearing installer that worked. You definitely want something as bearings are easily screwed up if installed crooked. Used tire irons to swap the tire. I had Harley balance my wheel for $10.

Just take your time. The only hard part is reinstalling the fork caps because the springs need to be compressed while screwing on the caps (I did have a few choice words at this point in the install).

Very happy with the results and everything sealed up perfectly. 2000k on them since and no leaks with great ride

Old 09-10-2014, 05:13 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport Chrome
There is a tool made by JIMS that works pretty well, it's around $300.

We use a hydraulic press along with several custom made tools that allow us to evenly press the bearings into their seats.

If you need bearings please check out our wheel installation kits. They are less expensive than buying from HD and ours include a Dyna-Bead wheel balancing kit so you do not have to have ugly weights on your wheel. You can check the kits out here.
Sorry, but I gotta call BS on this one. I just priced out a set (front and rear) of wheel installation kits from your link and the cost is actually MORE ($127) than getting the OEM kit from HD. I can get either kit from Surdyke, New Castle or other online dealers for $56 each or $106 - likely with free shipping and with a little patience they can be found on ebay for about half that - got both of mine, brand new, unopened boxes for about $30 each. Granted, this does include Dyna Beads but not everyone wants those and you can get that for another $20 so that is still under your price by a buck.

As far as the tool goes, yes...........anyone doing this job should absolutely get the right tools, I tried it once with some threaded rod and washers and while it does work (got one right) its much harder to get both bearings seated correctly - not leaving a gap or side loading the bearings - with the right tool that's a piece of cake. Heartland sells a nice kit for just $169 - much less than either Jims or HD or even George's and this seems to hold true for other tools they offer.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Sport Chrome
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Sorry, but I gotta call BS on this one. I just priced out a set (front and rear) of wheel installation kits from your link and the cost is actually MORE ($127) than getting the OEM kit from HD. I can get either kit from Surdyke, New Castle or other online dealers for $56 each or $106 - likely with free shipping and with a little patience they can be found on ebay for about half that - got both of mine, brand new, unopened boxes for about $30 each. Granted, this does include Dyna Beads but not everyone wants those and you can get that for another $20 so that is still under your price by a buck.

As far as the tool goes, yes...........anyone doing this job should absolutely get the right tools, I tried it once with some threaded rod and washers and while it does work (got one right) its much harder to get both bearings seated correctly - not leaving a gap or side loading the bearings - with the right tool that's a piece of cake. Heartland sells a nice kit for just $169 - much less than either Jims or HD or even George's and this seems to hold true for other tools they offer.

Your math is a tad fuzzy.

Our kits are $128 for a set (front and rear wheel) and include everything you need (bearings, chrome valve stems, inner bearing spacers & Dyna-Beads).

A stock HD kit is $79-$89 for each wheel. Yes Surdyke sells them too and their price is $67 each (for the $79 retail kit) Which comes to $134 for the set and you do not get the Dyna Beads.

Attempting to compare our prices to something that might someday become available for sale on eBay is a little bit like telling your dealer to sell you a new bike at 5 grand off msrp because eventually one will show up on craigslist.