Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 10:44 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Also make sure they change the oil filter when they drain the oil. Extended warranty
would be the lease the dealer should give you, a new engine maybe the most they will
do for you. I would call the Motor Company no madder what the dealer dose, just to
be safe.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 AM
buzdean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSDUDA
sounds like the tech put 1 qt in then got a txt from someone and that was all she got
Instances like that are one of the big reasons shops don't want people around the service area--just more distractions

Old 08-11-2014, 07:08 AM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by martinjd
Maybe I should have checked the oil but I would not expect a $25,000 new motorcycle with only 2,500 miles to use a quart of oil much less 3. I have owned several motorcycles of varying brands over the years and none of them has used enough oil to measure. I have owned air-cooled VWs, which would be the closest thing I could equate to a Harley engine in a car, that used less than half a quart of oil in 5,000 miles and they had 40 year-old engines.
It really has nothing to do with how much the bike costs, mileage or how many other bikes and cars you have owned. **** happens, not all engines are created equal and some could have issues. As reliable as Toyotas are don't some of them have problems ? Especially considering you had someone else do the service. I would have checked it the minute I got the bike back. Checking it before you ride every time, ok maybe a bit much but not once in a month ?? And before you say you would expect a Harley tech to do the job properly well you just learned the hard way.

Now I'm not trying to slam you or start an argument but I have learned things the hard way before. I just hope you take it as a learning experience. Hopefully the dealer will do right by you and take care of everything.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, I'd be upset if it was determined my new bike ran with barely any oil in the crankcase, especially as the result of a service department error - but I'll really be surprised if you get a free extended warranty, much less a free engine. I'd think it be more likely you'd be able to get some kind of a discount on the ESP if that is what you wanted. Certainly, if the dealer didn't work with me I'd let the MoCo know, & I might do it anyway to have it on record that I logged a complaint.

That said, the folks here recommending you pull the dipstick regularly are correct. I'll generally check mine when I buy fuel at a minimum; do the same in my cars. FWIW, I wouldn't own a motorcycle without also owning a couple of torque wrenches too.