Sponsored by:

Stupidity!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by SG1858
you are correct Ron, when I told my old lady about it she went out to the garage to look for it but couldn't find it.. But I KNOW it's there...LOL
My bike is 10 years old, with very few blemishes. We took a trip a few weeks ago and we overloaded the tour pack, with a T Bag, and our jackets bungeed on top. When I got home I noticed spider cracks around one hinge.

At first I was upset, then I thought, what the Hell it isn't a show bike, and I have a free souvenir, that will remind of that trip.

I have made plenty of stupid riding mistakes that could have resulted in death or maiming, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Mr_King
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SG1858
So here is my first costly F***k Up on my brand new 2014 Limited. I had my EZpass attached inside of the fairing like the older bike. No problem, until I installed my amplifier. I always tell my guys at work never to force fit anything yet I did that my self. As I reinstalled the fairing, I had to force it a bit thinking that it was the cables in the way.
I finished that last night. Today I got home from work and decided to get the bike cleaned up for the long I going to have. I notice a spider web crack in the paint on the top of the fairing. So I took the fairing off and you guessed it.... It was the Ezpass pushing against the amplifier in to the fairing. Well, I don't really know what can I do at this point with my fairing. The web crack is about 2 inch round and no fairing did not crack... Does anyone has an idea, how to fix this thing with out spending $800.00.....

If it were me I would call the insurance company. A metal tie-down fell on my bike a few years ago and scratched the gas tank. Call State Farm and got a new tank ($600). Quoted for labor too but I did the tank swap myself. Just a thought and can't hurt to ask.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:49 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Failing insurance,

I would get some of Harley's Swirl and Scratch remover.

It's really not good for "noticeable" scratches, but fine ones it works well. A lot of elbow grease and follow the instructions and might make it disappear.

Cheaper than a new paint job if it works....

Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, battle scars add character. I went to a rally a few weeks ago and took a folding chair strapped across the back. Even though it was in a soft bag and on top of a towel, it left a scratch about 1/2" long in the clear coat on my right saddle bag lid. I was pissed about 2 minutes then was just like, "oh well". I had an '85 Wide Glide for over 20 years and could tell you when and how I got every single scratch on that bike.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Wayne Carlton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 1st one always hurts the worst.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

wonder if Jersey has the system that Texas has where for bikes you don't need an ez pass. In Texas they read your license plate and charge your ezpass.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:54 AM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I put my EZpass all the way down toward the headlight housing. Fit snug down there and WAY out of the way. No need to have it up top.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Crusader45
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain, took the saddle bag off my Limited to adjust the shock, it fell on the ground putting a nice deep scratch in the lower corner of it. I'm pretty **** and have OCD when it comes to things like this, ruined my weekend. I'm over it now and plan on getting it fixed this winter. I notice it every time I wash the bike.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:59 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by oakmossy
wonder if Jersey has the system that Texas has where for bikes you don't need an ez pass. In Texas they read your license plate and charge your ezpass.
TECHNICALLY - In NJ, when you have EZ Pass, you are supposed to "register" the vehicles that may be using the pass. When a vehicle is not detected as you pass the scanner, a picture is taken of the license plate. If the vehicle is registered you will receive a letter stating that your pass was not detected but the account was charged appropriately. If the vehicle isn't registered, big fine time! I would imagine that multiple offenses would be frowned upon and probably the state would request you sending back your malfunctioning pass to get a new working one.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:04 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
TECHNICALLY - In NJ, when you have EZ Pass, you are supposed to "register" the vehicles that may be using the pass. When a vehicle is not detected as you pass the scanner, a picture is taken of the license plate. If the vehicle is registered you will receive a letter stating that your pass was not detected but the account was charged appropriately. If the vehicle isn't registered, big fine time! I would imagine that multiple offenses would be frowned upon and probably the state would request you sending back your malfunctioning pass to get a new working one.
I've been driving with my easy pass tag in my saddle bag and plate registered in NJ for decades. It reads about 1 in 10 times. The other 9 times they read the license plate via camera and charge the account.

No need to worry about mounting the easy pass tag. No one has ever asked me to send a tag back other than at the normal replacement schedule along with all my other tags.

Last edited by offthewall; 08-07-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Stupidity!!!!!