2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5000 mile service - How long does it actually take?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Herbkell
I agree

I did have a $100 coupon for service given to me when I bought the bike so it did lessen the pain a little
For a hundred bucks you could have bought the oils and filter + a shop manual and done it yourself. Now what do you have to show for it but some new oil and a very boring sit in the waiting room?
You "could" have gave yourself a pat on the back and a few beers doing it yourself, priceless..

Old 08-04-2014, 05:39 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_2014
I got a clutch cable on my 14 RK since it doesn't have the hydraulic clutch

My service was zero as I got the service plan when I bought the bike and if I called ahead I could have gotten a loaner - fancy that - will call ahead when I take it in for the 10k

They also did the ABS recall and I mentioned to them the wear on the front plug.

Quite happy with the service so far provided.
One of the reasons I did not buy a RK when I went looking to replace the SG. There is no longer a grease fitting on the steering neck for the bearings. Thus, when I asked the service writer at the dealership where I bought the bike this past May if they really did all shown on the list for the 1K service and he responded yes, I knew darn good and well he was full of it.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:18 PM
RK_2014
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting that he didn't know the details of the bike - but not surprised

I thought they went with sealed bearings for the steering tube

Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
So does Kenworth, but I have seen them do oil changes for $150.00 and that includes 11 "GALLONS" of oil.
Heres the issue, if you want an oil change that's one thing, if you want a 5k service that's another, you cannot compare apples to oranges, well clearly you can as that seems to be what the whiners are saying

Old 08-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Herbkell
Tourer
Received 114 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jcapps
Heres the issue, if you want an oil change that's one thing, if you want a 5k service that's another, you cannot compare apples to oranges, well clearly you can as that seems to be what the whiners are saying
Really wasn't aware that I was "whining" or doing anything but posing a question.

If you knew me and some of my circumstances you would be very hard pressed to call me a whiner.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:43 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,407 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by jcapps
You do have somewhat of a point. Just a straight filter and oil change the 1 time I paid to have it done it was "only" $85.45 with synthetic.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:44 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_2014
Interesting that he didn't know the details of the bike - but not surprised

I thought they went with sealed bearings for the steering tube
That was my entire point. The zerk fitting went away several years ago, along with having to adjust the primary chain, throttle cables, brake cables and, the clutch cable on the '14 Rushmore bikes. The lone exception being the Road King. Guess the MoCo figured that RK buyers eschewed the other modern conveniences we have on our glides so they get the old style fight with it clutch cable set up.

Last edited by MikeyTX; 08-04-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,414 Likes on 5,014 Posts

The stealer charged for three hours labour, the oil and filter and $25 for shop consumables (grease and rags I presume)
Also the shops cost of dealing with used chemicals etc, which can be very expensive.

While I was waiting I amused myself by wondering how much the MoCo would allow if this was a warranty item. I can't for the life of me see how and oil change and a few checks can take more than and hour and half max.

What do you guys think?
If you thought the cost was too high, you should have told them up front and asked them to give you a more reasonable price. Seriously, you might be surprized at the answer, try this at the car dealership too, it works.

Originally Posted by ColoFXDC
A 22 point check doesn't take 3 hours. The stealer stole from him.
No, he did not steal.

The dealer was up front on the cost of the service.

Forget about the hour thing, that is just a number they use to assign cost, more than the mechanics time is factored in. Think of it as a unit of cost.

If he said he would charge 1.5 hours, and then after the work was done the cost was 3.0 hours, that would be stealing...

The dealers shouldn`t even mention hours, they should just say the job will cost xx amount of dollars, then you guys wouldn`t get in a tizzy over this hour thing.

Learn to do the work yourself or learn to like paying someone else to do it...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-04-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:00 PM
mhsmith451
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd estimate that it should take a couple hours...here's a link to the checklist:

http://www.surdyke.com/download/Serv.../touring5k.pdf

(brought to you from our friends at Surdyke HD)

Last edited by mhsmith451; 08-05-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-05-2014, 06:02 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It takes me about 2 hours doing the whole project start to finish, taking my time with a few beers. It's not surprising or unreasonable that the shop charges for 3 hours.

Quick Reply: 5000 mile service - How long does it actually take?