Sponsored by:

14 CVO Limited Seat vs Others

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:07 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 14 CVO Limited Seat vs Others

Anyone fitted one of these to a non CVO bike? Sat on one in the showroom, it looks good, feels good, (sitting still anyway) but it seems to sit higher. At first I thought it might be the bikes suspension but having checked - they have the same rear shocks as standard. Does this seat simply sit higher? Is the accessory 14 Hammock seat seat up higher too? I need to change to something soon so I can make a bar change - been to the chiro twice in as many weeks and beginning to wonder it is isn't because of the riding position leaning me forward. Other options might be a Sundowner or tallboy. Main issue with the stock seat is what seems to be a slight forward slant that pulls my jean tight in front - not very comfy and I'm really at a loss as to which seat will work and obviously not wanting to play musical seats give the cost of them. Dealers near here don't have many 14 seats on demo - just the Sundowner.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:40 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I am looking serious at the Russell day long seat. Going to check out their factory later this month. I have read nothing but positive comments about the Russell day long.

I too love the look of the CVO limited seat. Number one for style. It's a Hammock inside. The regular Hammock would work the same IMO. Some love the Hammock and some don't.

I am with ya, don't want to make a mistake. Russell is the only seat manufacturer with a comfort guarantee.

To each their own, I will post my impression of the Russell factory after I tour it. If I go with them I am going to select their ride in service. They actually fit the saddle to you and your passenger.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:21 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
I am looking serious at the Russell day long seat. Going to check out their factory later this month. I have read nothing but positive comments about the Russell day long.
.........Russell is the only seat manufacturer with a comfort guarantee.
........To each their own, I will post my impression of the Russell factory after I tour it. If I go with them I am going to select their ride in service. They actually fit the saddle to you and your passenger.
having ridden on my russell over 20000 pain free comfort miles, i can attest to their comfort and quality. i have purchased an ultimate, a mustang trying to find comfort enough to ride a decent number of miles before quitting. with the russell, the furthest i've ridden on a trip is about 450 miles and turned around and came home the next day with no problems. Its a fugly seat but you learn to love it for its function not its good looks. you sit differently too. you sit more on it than in it. it distributes your weight across the seat much like a chair/stool. i ride whenever i can in the winter when its above 35 or so, the heat option is a nice feature. they do have a guarantee but i think you have to allow them to try and "fix" the problem. another thing to remember is they need a seat pan.....so you have to find another seat to send them or use the one on your bike. i sent them the origional seat and i used my mustang for the few weeks it was gone.

Last edited by cass; 08-02-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Bigboyride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I demo'ed a hammock from the dealer, but it was a 2013 and before model. My dealer only had the Sundowner for the 2014 to demo. I too sat on a CVO and loved the way it felt, yes it felt higher but that's not a problem for me at 6'-2". So I ordered a 2014 Heated Hammock. Two things stuck out at me, my seat back was higher than the demo and the passenger pad is not as wide as the demo. But after putting it on and taking the Wife for a ride, Her and I both like the seat. She doesn't have to move at every red light anymore and I find that I don't have to stand up and re-adjust every red light. The seat seems to sit me a little higher and back than the original seat which is great as I felt on top of the tank with the original. I have only done 100 mile ride so far but never felt the butt burn I did with the original. I also had to replace the adjustable back rest with the one like the CVO comes with, but overall I am happy with the Hammock. I Also don't think you can go wrong with a Russell and one day might even send the original in for a re-do, but for now I am happy with my purchase!!

Old 08-03-2014, 12:44 AM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

So the 2014 CVO Limited seat is the same as the Hammock, except for the vinyl/leather design?

Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by YPD485
So the 2014 CVO Limited seat is the same as the Hammock, except for the vinyl/leather design?
Yes; that is my understanding. It's a great looking heated Hammock seat with Leather seating area and vinal sides.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:01 AM
PowerstrokeNC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YPD485
Yes, Hammock heated.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:11 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

The Hammock provides a couple inches of suspension in your saddle, uses similar if not the same foam as the stock seat. The primary benefit is how it smooths out rough rough road surfaces. Reducing impact to your spine.

Saddles like Russell's day long or Corbin's dual tour work by spreading out the pressure points evenly. The Russell actually has a spring system that helps to evenly distribute your weight. It's a patented system. The only down sides are cost and appearance. The seating area is wider. That of course does not matter while riding. I am not trying to sell the Russell saddle, just passing along what I have learned.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:20 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Any Ultra or Limited owners that have a 2014 version of the Hammock seat - can you post a photo showing the passenger/TP fit and does it increase the seat height over the stock seat or not?

Same for anyone with a 2014 Sundowner or Tallboy please.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:26 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Any Ultra or Limited owners that have a 2014 version of the Hammock seat - can you post a photo showing the passenger/TP fit and does it increase the seat height over the stock seat or not?

Same for anyone with a 2014 Sundowner or Tallboy please.
When I sat on a 14 CVO Limited to try out the seat, it definitely felt higher than my stock 14 Limited seat. Maybe by an inch.

Quick Reply: 14 CVO Limited Seat vs Others