Sponsored by:

Adjusting Headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:42 AM
NiteOwlNY
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting Headlight?

Ok, my headlight needs to be aimed up more along with my spots, I'm tired of looking at the ground. I'm usually pretty good at this but I cannot figure out how to adjust the headlight, I went searching for a screw or screws and can find nothing. For the spots I guess I need to notch a socket for the wire... How the heck do you adjust the headlight???

Old 08-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Pewter
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the Owners Manual it says 'Do not remove trim ring for headlamp adjustment. insert a 5/32 inch ball end hex wrench through adjuster slots in trim ring'. There is a photo of said wrench being used in the holes at the 9 and 12 o'clock positions on the trim ring.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As the manual states, 5/32" ball end hex. Top center cutout is for up/down adjustment, side cutout for side to side. If you don't have the ball end, use a regular hex end and will then be easier, especially without the ball end wrench, to just remove the trim ring (yes, you can do that quite simply in about ten seconds-remove bottom screw and rotate ring a few degrees to the left and it comes off easily) and adjust, then you don't have to push in on the gasket to find the screw. Turning the wrench clockwise will raise your headlight.

Last edited by Rockgeezer; 08-01-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:53 PM
NiteOwlNY
Tourer

I have the visor, I assume that needs to come off as there's not enough room to get anything in there.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer

Originally Posted by NiteOwlNY
I have the visor, I assume that needs to come off as there's not enough room to get anything in there.
Correct.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:48 PM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It can be done without removing the headlight ring but it only takes 15 seconds to remove it and makes it so much easier to adjust the headlight. Once the top adjusting screw bottoms out the light will more than likely still not be adjusted up enough. That's when the two side adjusting screws have to be adjusted out. Also, there is not much adjustment to move the spots up. It's a little different mount from the past. I guess it's to keep from adjusting them into oncoming traffic since the LEDs are so bright.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by nchogfan
Once the top adjusting screw bottoms out the light will more than likely still not be adjusted up enough. That's when the two side adjusting screws have to be adjusted out.
Nice! Thank you!

Amazing what you can learn here.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer

Originally Posted by Howler_LI
Nice! Thank you!

Amazing what you can learn here.
Yep!......among all the trials and tribulations of the new rides...mostly good stuff though

BTW, I ended up going a couple turns in on the top screw and the night rides are pretty good, especially with the passing lamps on with bright so gonna leave it there for a bit and see how she goes. Buddy of mine screwed his all the way in as the previous post describes and still wasn't where he wanted it so YMMV.

Last edited by Rockgeezer; 08-01-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:31 PM
JWilson
Cruiser

I sat on mine after dark on flat road in the subdivision and told my son "more... More...too far...OK" All good now of course, have the dealer flash to keep passing lamps on with high beam. I have no issues with the lighting anymore.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:56 PM
ultramotive
Advanced

It's impossible to adjust the HL without removing the ring. I tried it for 20 minutes last Fall. Finally called the dealer and he told me what to do. Turned mine all the way up. The dealer would not set the aux lights to be on all the time. So my high beam is useless except to signal somebody.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Headlight?