rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

^ That's where mine is too.

Old 07-30-2014 | 07:29 PM
Webo
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Duffyone
There is a notch/indentation at the very bottom of the housing that the wire can fit through so it can hang out the bottom after you put the side cover back on. When not in use I just tuck it back under the lip of the cover. And just in case it may vibrate out, which it hasn't so far, make sure the plug is not long enough to touch the crossover exhaust pipe.
Ok I didn't see the notch but didn't really mess with more than 2 minutes. Is the notched area in the fuse box housing plastic or is the notch in the cover itself? Thanks!

Old 07-30-2014 | 07:58 PM
Duffyone
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Webo
Ok I didn't see the notch but didn't really mess with more than 2 minutes. Is the notched area in the fuse box housing plastic or is the notch in the cover itself? Thanks!
At the very bottom of the fuse box housing; It's like a slot at the very bottom and hard to see, but is the exact size to fit the wire through. BTW, there is no slack behind the fuse box. The wire goes directly into a wiring bundle.

Old 07-30-2014 | 08:16 PM
Webo
|
Road Warrior

Thanks so much for the information guys! When I take it off the tender I'll route it through the notch for future charging.

Old 07-30-2014 | 08:35 PM
RushKing14
Tourer

The dealer routed mine along the top rail between the bag and the fender rail. I sorta just lays there along the bag latch and tucks nicely. I can get to it while still sitting on the bike to plug things into it.

Old 07-31-2014 | 08:54 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Duffyone
There is a notch/indentation at the very bottom of the housing that the wire can fit through so it can hang out the bottom after you put the side cover back on. When not in use I just tuck it back under the lip of the cover. And just in case it may vibrate out, which it hasn't so far, make sure the plug is not long enough to touch the crossover exhaust pipe.
^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^

This is what I do. As mentioned, the plastic housing that everything mounts to is turned up at the bottom edge - so the plastic housing is shaped like a tray, mounted vertically. At the very bottom, this turned up edge has a narrow slot cut into it - slit might be a better word - for the specific purpose of routing the tender cable through it. There is a vertical space between this edge of the plastic housing & the bottom edge of the side cover when it is mounted. My cable just lays in there.

The only thing: it can be a little bit of a pain to wrangle the cord out from behind the side cover when the pipes are hot. But there's no way the cord is going to vibrate its way out from behind there while your underway. It would have been easier had the cord exited on the high, right side of the bike...but there you go...

Old 07-31-2014 | 11:52 AM
sectime
Tourer

My battery was low at the dealer when I bought it. The service mgr just lifted the rubber boot off the battery cable on the starter and charged from there. Felt stupid never thought of that over the years.

Old 07-31-2014 | 07:30 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah - not clear Harley thought this through as fully as they might have - although the integrated pig tail is a nice addition. Personally I'd have liked it to be a bit longer. On all my bikes I've used self adhesive Velcro and attached it in the optimum location out of sight then I can detach it and plug in when needed. Still trying to figure out the best spot on the new FLHTK. Thinking I may get it set up behind the heat deflectors if it doesn't interfere with my adjustable back rest control.

Loosening the left side electrical panel allows for a little more flexibility in routing the cable.