Sponsored by:

30k Ultra Limited GPS not really usable

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:28 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 30k Ultra Limited GPS not really usable

I'm getting ready to go on a 9day, 3 state road trip on my 14 ultra Limited with a group of Harley riders all with Zumo 660 nav. One of the guys has taken hours to design the entire trip in Base Camp. When I go to install it on the 14 it tells me that I have not responded to a message (that is never seen) and the upload fails. So here I am 2 weeks away from the trip and looking into installing a Zumo on my $30,000 limited...does anyone think this ok? How has Harley been allowed to get away with this? Advise if you know a work around ....thank you

Old 07-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm guessing there is too many stops for the HK software. Ask your friend to break the trip into smaller segments (maybe save by damage) and reload.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by iwillfixthem4u
I'm getting ready to go on a 9day, 3 state road trip on my 14 ultra Limited with a group of Harley riders all with Zumo 660 nav. One of the guys has taken hours to design the entire trip in Base Camp. When I go to install it on the 14 it tells me that I have not responded to a message (that is never seen) and the upload fails. So here I am 2 weeks away from the trip and looking into installing a Zumo on my $30,000 limited...does anyone think this ok? How has Harley been allowed to get away with this? Advise if you know a work around ....thank you
How many files are there for the 9 day trip? There are some limitations to the built in GPS on the Limiteds. For example, there can only be 9 waypoints per route. If the entire trip is one file, and there are more than 9 waypoints, then the GPS will have issues. I just returned from a 10 day, 5 state, trip. To overcome the limitations, I had one GPS file for each day and made sure I used less than 9 waypoints per day. On two of those days I knew I would need more than the 9 waypoints to ensure my route, so I had two files per day for those two days. I built my routes using the HD trip planner, but there shouldn't be any issue using basecamp to do so either, as long as they are .gpx files. I had no issues with the GPS during my trip (other than it not returning to daytime mode after being in a really long tunnel. Fixed that by stopping and turning off the bike for a few minutes while buying some water).

Old 07-28-2014, 01:02 PM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guest is that this is your first rode trip . Having a gps is a plus, but know how to read a map book is a must . 30k . Or 3k bikes with bring your almost anywhere in his land . If you worry to much about it , my suggestion is stay home .

Old 07-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to say, your 6.5 navigation system will react differently to a pre-planned route than the Garmin Zumo will. You could have someone print out the directions from Basecamp, try plotting them in Ride Planner & uploading that way but no guarantees it will plot the same identical route in the 6.5 navigation system.
You said you are with a group & they all have Zumos. Why not just ride along & forget about the navigation? If your concern is about getting separated, just program in the stops without the routes so you can catch up if that happens. And...take maps. Always take maps.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I should have mentioned - there is a 16 page thread here that goes into some detail concerning the particular quirks of the 6.5 Navigation system & how to work with, & around them.

My intent is to find a comfortable chair or stool I can put in the garage next to my bike, put my laptop on a stand, grab a memory stick, plug in the Battery Tender, and just play with Ride Planner & the navigation system on the bike to see what I can learn about uploading routes into it. Definitely sounds like something to do on a cool, fall, rainy day though.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:08 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by angelrod
My guest is that this is your first rode trip . Having a gps is a plus, but know how to read a map book is a must . 30k . Or 3k bikes with bring your almost anywhere in his land . If you worry to much about it , my suggestion is stay home .
Kinda harsh don't you think? I love using GPS because it shows the angle of the curves ahead and intersections. Not just for navigation.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:31 PM
dad311
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got back from a 10 day / 6 state trip and used the GPS everyday, worked fine. The only limitation I had was the 9 way points.

If you did your homework, you would have found lots of post referring to the 9 way point limit.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:56 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

GPS is fine.

If you're riding with "a group of Harley riders all with Zumo 660 nav" follow them.

The infotainment isn't a Garmin, never was, never will be, I like a Garmin better myself, but this one is better than the one in my $60,000 2013 Cadillac SRX.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:13 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you worried about getting lost?
Follow your friends.
Are you worried about being shown up with your fancy new bike?
F your friends.
Have fun, learn to read a map, enjoy your trip. Don't be like the idiot who posted here about the crappy GPS that lead him down a gravel road that ended in a dirt road. DON'T GO DOWN A GRAVEL ROAD!

Quick Reply: 30k Ultra Limited GPS not really usable