Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30k Ultra Limited GPS not really usable

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:01 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=nevada72;13042523]First, my apologies if what I said came off as a slam. Maybe the tone read a bit incredulous, but that's hard to modulate in typed form. And you just posted this, so I assumed you just bought the bike and discovered the issue soon after purchase.

That said, the previous Harley gps units were thinly disguised Garmin units and a whole different animal that was sold apart from the bike. Maybe you are correct that they ran out of time. But, I don't really think that was the case. I think they installed a gps that the large majority of buyers wanted. Would I prefer to be able to load Basecamp routes? Absolutely. Would most people that buy it want that feature. My guess is studies show they don't. As far as defects, my Infotainment has worked just fine. Is it perfect? No. But it is as good as any gps I have used that is built in to the car. What defects do occur, I'm sure can be solved with software upgrades.
Lol! On Cummings . I have ridden two of these bikes for a total of 12,000 miles so far and have had numorus issues with the infotainment system, some resulting in having to pull over to the side of the road and shut the bike off for several minutes to rest the syst. (The syst stays powered up after the ignition is shut off for a minute or so). To list a few; CB stopped broadcasting, won't return to the same input next time starting bike (off on USB,on with XM), bike icon on nav won't stay, no speed volume, nav losing route when starting bike, entire syst freezing when using left bar control to change iPod song, nav screen freezing, squelch changing when using push to talk...some have been corrected with updates and some started with updates!...my point is if Harley tested the sys prior to public release I'm sure they encountered these issues and just didn't have time to fix them. I'm in the automotive industry and have seen how this goes.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:21 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Originally Posted by iwillfixthem4u
I have ridden two of these bikes for a total of 12,000 miles so far and have had numorus issues with the infotainment system, some resulting in having to pull over to the side of the road and shut the bike off for several minutes to rest the syst. (The syst stays powered up after the ignition is shut off for a minute or so). To list a few; CB stopped broadcasting, won't return to the same input next time starting bike (off on USB,on with XM), bike icon on nav won't stay, no speed volume, nav losing route when starting bike, entire syst freezing when using left bar control to change iPod song, nav screen freezing, squelch changing when using push to talk...some have been corrected with updates and some started with updates!...my point is if Harley tested the sys prior to public release I'm sure they encountered these issues and just didn't have time to fix them. I'm in the automotive industry and have seen how this goes.
Well I can see why you would be disappointed. That really is inexcusable. And the out of date Harley dealer locations is mind boggling.

Maybe because I have a more recently built bike I got lucky. Also, I don't really use a lot of the features. I have an Ipod that connects via bluetooth and it's about as big as a pita as it is on my cars. I use the GPS on occasion when I want to find a gas station or destination city when I'm in the middle of nowhere. I have only 2000 miles on the bike and so far the only glitch I've had is that the screen stays dim for 5 or so minutes if I leave it outside in the sun. I'm told I just need to uncheck auto-dim to remedy that.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:32 PM
AmberWhisky
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iwillfixthem4u
30k Ultra Limited GPS not really usable
REALLY

With over 18,000 miles since I purchased the bike in Aug, I personally think the GPS on my 2014 Limited is the best GPS I have ever used. I use the GPS a lot. It took a little bit to learn my way around like any new electronic gadget.
It does have some dam pesty buggy bugs. Hope HD post an update with a built in fly swatter

AmberWhiskey

Old 07-30-2014, 02:09 AM
frankenralf
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nevada72
How's that BMW Infotainment working out for you? Oh.....that's right. It's not. Even their high end bike that starts at a few cents under $30k doesn't have a built in GPS.
On the K1600GTL the "infotainement" does exactly what I want it to do. And the GPS is somehow a built in unit. The Garmin 660 is withing the fairing and so "included" in the bike. Remote control with the handlebar. When I am talking about single tracks these are small coutry roads. You can find them e.g. in Ireland or Schottland or the island of Sardinia but also in other areas of europe.

Ralf

Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Originally Posted by frankenralf
On the K1600GTL the "infotainement" does exactly what I want it to do. And the GPS is somehow a built in unit. The Garmin 660 is withing the fairing and so "included" in the bike. Remote control with the handlebar. When I am talking about single tracks these are small coutry roads. You can find them e.g. in Ireland or Schottland or the island of Sardinia but also in other areas of europe.

Ralf
Having a Garmin gps added to the bike is not the same thing, even if it has a dedicated spot for it. Don't get me wrong, I like the bike, and I like Garmin gps's. But, I can toss my Garmin 665 on with bluetooth headset and now we have the same thing for about the same price as one would pay for your setup. But, I have the infotainment system and you do not.

Again, no one is saying (okay maybe one guy is saying ) it's the best gps out there. What we are saying is it's the only bike on the market that has taken the next step towards the evolution of motorcycles as far as a built in gps/radio/media/etc system much like those found in modern cars for a few years now. Is it perfect? No. Does it do what most people want it to do? I would say, save for the glitches that need to be ironed out and that I have not experienced, yes.

The Rushmore bikes, apart from the infotainment system, are worlds apart from their predecessors. To walk away from one (because of Infotainment) tells me you weren't really vested into the purchase in the 1st place.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:09 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad there are choices and competition, making the choices even better. I'm very happy with my Rushmore choice - best bike out there, for me, IMO.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:15 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhawk85u
I'm very happy with my Rushmore choice - best bike out there, for me, IMO.
LOL that from a guy that went from Cessna to Grumman
You just like the low wing effects, makes landing more exciting

After my latest adventures concerning the problems, I miss my 05 FLHTCI

Too phunny I'm talking airplanes and XM plays Snoopy & the Red Baron.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:24 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01XLH
LOL that from a guy that went from Cessna to Grumman
You just like the low wing effects, makes landing more exciting

After my latest adventures concerning the problems, I miss my 05 FLHTCI

Too phunny I'm talking airplanes and XM plays Snoopy & the Red Baron.
LOL, yeah - I jumped ship on the airplane thing. Never wavered in the iOS/Android religious fight though - firmly in the Apple camp (although Windows computers, which is what most of my clients have.)

All of these brand loyalty arguments are very similar. People very seldom change their minds from arguing on the Internet (I finally came to my senses and stopped trying to convince people that my choices are inherently better, even though they are of course.) And these companies don't really care about us and our silly loyalties either. Competition is good and makes the products better. If BMW comes out with their own built in Infotainment center next year that they copied from HD, that's great - it will push HD to make theirs even better the year after.

Oops - enough thread jacking?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:42 AM
frankenralf
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nevada72
....To walk away from one (because of Infotainment) tells me you weren't really vested into the purchase in the 1st place.
...you are wrong.

For me it is not that important what kind of bike I am riding. I did also test rides on the Goldwing. Unfortunately they have the same issue with a navigation on board which not fullfills my requirements. Important for me is comfort and a satisfied pillon. But also a perfect navigation.
I have comfort and perfect navigation at the moment together with a hell of power. Sometimes I feel that bit is too much for me. What is missing is the satisfied pillon. On the K1200LT she was...but on the K1600GTL she is not. Did a 300km test ride on the HD and she was smiling. Let's see what the announced update will bring...Got a concrete quote. Even 10k€ higher than my current one. But I don't want to be the richest on the grave yard...
Ralf

Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhawk85u
Oops - enough thread jacking?
I wouldn't say I (we?) hijacked the thread, just added a bit of levity to it.

And brand loyalty is a remarkable thing. A study over a decade ago showed that HD had the highest loyalty of all American companies. That may slip a bit after this Rushmore fiasco.

OK back to the P.O.S. Infotainment/GPS comments

Quick Reply: 30k Ultra Limited GPS not really usable