Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics Tri-Bar Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014 | 03:04 PM
alrosse
|
Intermediate
Default Custom Dynamics Tri-Bar Light

Anyone change out the rear tri-bar light on their street glide to the new run/brake led one from custom dynamics.
How hard to change it out? What do you think about it?

Old 07-23-2014 | 03:13 PM
Rodney54
Cruiser

X2. I really want to get rid of the stock lights.

Old 07-23-2014 | 03:59 PM
bzb123
Road Captain

I just rec'd mine this weekend. However, my bike is the Canadian version

They are making up a jumper harness for me right now. My housing does not have a light, but the back is used as a jumper to feed the rear lights.

easy to pull out the old one. Should be about 15 minutes to unplug the wiring, remove 2 torx T-25 screws, remove and replace with new light.

will post pics once I get my harness

Old 07-23-2014 | 09:24 PM
Custom96
Cruiser

its on my to do list...I have the Custom Dynamic Ringz and Rear lights now, adding the tri bar next, looks like a very easy instal, plug and play.

That video shows it being installed on a 13'. Its probably very much the same for the 14'

Old 07-23-2014 | 10:58 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bzb123
I just rec'd mine this weekend. However, my bike is the Canadian version

They are making up a jumper harness for me right now. My housing does not have a light, but the back is used as a jumper to feed the rear lights.

easy to pull out the old one. Should be about 15 minutes to unplug the wiring, remove 2 torx T-25 screws, remove and replace with new light.

will post pics once I get my harness

Interested in the set up they give you as well. What are they charging for the harness?

Old 07-24-2014 | 07:47 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

I installed it on mine. Not bad if you have the right tools - which I didn't. I didn't have a Torx socket in 1/4 inch which would have made the job much much easier. Other than that, it's a matter of removing a 7/16ths nut which holds the harness clip. I will say I'm not super happy about having to tie-wrap the excess wire adapter in place on the CD light vs a plug in and a plug out on the stock unit. The tie-wraps supplied were worthless. I used my own.

Once installed it is bright. Way more leds than the stock unit. Overall I'm okay with the end result. But in the end, I might have been better off spending the $119 elsewhere. The stock unit isn't really all that bad imo. On a scale of 1-10, whereas the change from a stock 1157 to the Dynamic Rings is an 11, I give the tri-bar a 6. Better yes. Night and day difference, not so much. Now if it would have had the strobe on stop option, then it would have received much higher marks. But it doesn't.

Old 07-24-2014 | 09:07 AM
bzb123
Road Captain

Originally Posted by zal
Interested in the set up they give you as well. What are they charging for the harness?
Not sure yet. They said they were taking it up with their warranty dept. They had assumed it was the same plug and play as the 09-13 but it is different.

I send them a .pdf of the Canadian wiring diagram yesterday morning and they were putting a rush on it for me. would like to have it installed before the road trip to Sturgis next week..

told them I would pay for them to overnight it to me.

will update once rec'd

Old 07-24-2014 | 09:11 AM
bzb123
Road Captain

Once installed it is bright. Way more leds than the stock unit. Overall I'm okay with the end result. But in the end, I might have been better off spending the $119 elsewhere. The stock unit isn't really all that bad imo. On a scale of 1-10, whereas the change from a stock 1157 to the Dynamic Rings is an 11, I give the tri-bar a 6. Better yes. Night and day difference, not so much. Now if it would have had the strobe on stop option, then it would have received much higher marks. But it doesn't.[/QUOTE]

On the Canadian version there is no light (only an empty housing)

Even the factory HD version would be a 100% improvement

You are spot on about the el cheapo zip ties. Went straight into the trash.

Would never use those cheap ones, especially in the location they will be in this instance.

Old 07-24-2014 | 10:37 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

Have you installed the CD tri light on your CDN SG yet?I'm curious to see how they adapted it too our bikes.I think its gonna take more than a new harness.The stock 2010 and up US tri bar has no brake light output.I recently bought the new tri-bar w/brake light and the older 07A model.I ended up using the older one on my 14. SG.

Old 07-24-2014 | 11:00 AM
bzb123
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dansflhti
Have you installed the CD tri light on your CDN SG yet?I'm curious to see how they adapted it too our bikes.I think its gonna take more than a new harness.The stock 2010 and up US tri bar has no brake light output.I recently bought the new tri-bar w/brake light and the older 07A model.I ended up using the older one on my 14. SG.
I just sent them the info yesterday morning. All I need is for them to make a jumper with 2 male ends, with 12 pin connectors to connect the factory wire harness that is attached to the factory dummy housing.

I can plug the light into the 3 pin connector inside the big tail light and it works fine. But without the jumper, or cutting and splicing the wiring there are no other lights working.

I was about to rip apart the new one and put it into the original housing, but figured this would be easier. Plus, this way CD will have a kit for the rest of us Canucks!

Quick Reply: Custom Dynamics Tri-Bar Light