Sponsored by:

Ohlins from Howard

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 PM
rubberheels
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Ohlins from Howard

I hope you guys are right about the Ohlins. I just ordered a set from him. I can't beleive what a lousy ride my flhx gives me. The bike is brand new and put me in the Emergency Room up here in N.J. @ bulged disc in my neck and severe muscle spasms in my back! I have owned 17 New Harleys and this feels like I'm riding on railroad ties! My softails rode better and I kid you not! Don't know about the Premium shocks but I am going for the Ohlins Wish me luck Rubberheels VNVMC

Old 07-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Bohacker
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SGS and agree the ride could be improved. Considering the Olins as well. Let us know what you think after you get them install and put some miles on them.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior

You will like the Ohlins....but should have gotten the JRI's, lol.
Just kidding. I haven't had them personally but there are plenty here that swear by them. You should be quite pleased.

I went on a 285 mile ride on some rough bumpy roads yesterday. I also have the SGS with the Premium Ride adjustable shocks and was surprised how they started to smooth out after putting them through some rough patches two-up. I think they just need to be broken in. Big improvement from the air shocks stock on the standard SG.

What is rough though is the ride of the 19" Dunlop front tire. I'm sure that is to be expected going from the 18" front to the low-profile 19" with a shorter and stiffer sidewall. But the input and handling on them are fantastic. And they look great!

Last edited by Roger That; 07-21-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 PM
wojo1965
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rubberheels
I hope you guys are right about the Ohlins. I just ordered a set from him. I can't beleive what a lousy ride my flhx gives me. The bike is brand new and put me in the Emergency Room up here in N.J. @ bulged disc in my neck and severe muscle spasms in my back! I have owned 17 New Harleys and this feels like I'm riding on railroad ties! My softails rode better and I kid you not! Don't know about the Premium shocks but I am going for the Ohlins Wish me luck Rubberheels VNVMC
May I ask what you paid for them and maybe a link for Howard? I have a limited and hate the ride, have had 13 Harleys and by for the roughest ive had!!!

And please give us a ride report after install.

Thanks Wojo

Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM
jake40ma
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rubberheels you will love the ride. Got the 2 and 1/2s from Howard all set up for my wife and myselfs weight plus 30 pounds of gear. Like night and day. A smooth, cushy controlled ride. They came dialed in perfect from Howard. The sit in with me and wifey was exactly one third the stroke of the shock like Howard suggests

Wojo expect to pay about $750-775 if you get the same model as me and with your HD forum discount applied

Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

You will like the Ohlins ride, problem one is short travel of Street Glide, if you don't mind the lift, go with the 3-3 of Motorcycle Metal recommendations and enjoy the ride not the look. It's about prefernce at that point, do you want a good ride or a bike that looks good. After 3 years and 50,000 miles on Howadrs shocks, I say go for it. Of course I had Ohlnis on 3 Beemers so I may be prejudiced.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Sharing this story on this thread as well...

Have had my Ohlins #6's on for a few weeks now.

This evening, went for a shakedown ride with the wife, the '14 Limited loaded up for full two-up touring for 11 days on the road, beginning next weekend.

If you have ever felt like a big touring bike was taxing the suspension with this kind of load, you would be amazed at how capable this feels.

Small bumps absolutely disappear, stable as can be, no chassis droop, smoother than siding solo, could drag a floorboard through cloverleaf turns if desired.

If you want a heavy hauler to handle like a dream, run, don't walk, to the phone and call Howard now.

Absolutely worth every penny.

You can thank me later.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 AM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by roadglider05
You will like the Ohlins ride, problem one is short travel of Street Glide, if you don't mind the lift, go with the 3-3 of Motorcycle Metal recommendations and enjoy the ride not the look. It's about prefernce at that point, do you want a good ride or a bike that looks good. After 3 years and 50,000 miles on Howadrs shocks, I say go for it. Of course I had Ohlnis on 3 Beemers so I may be prejudiced.
I just ordered the 2 1/2's from Howard, should have them next week. They are approx. 13.25" eye to eye and Howard cautioned me that I'll need to space the exhausts about .25" so they don't contact at full stroke. I have a '14 Limited.

Can't wait for them to show up at the door next week, if I keep riding it with the stock shocks I'm going to end up herniating a disc. It's 2014, you'd think HD would have a better design with some decent suspension.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Working on them

Originally Posted by KMC1
I just ordered the 2 1/2's from Howard, should have them next week. They are approx. 13.25" eye to eye and Howard cautioned me that I'll need to space the exhausts about .25" so they don't contact at full stroke. I have a '14 Limited.

Can't wait for them to show up at the door next week, if I keep riding it with the stock shocks I'm going to end up herniating a disc. It's 2014, you'd think HD would have a better design with some decent suspension.
It is 19:54 hours/7:54pm. I have been working on them all day. I am running out of boxes. Look at your e-Mail in say one more hour. If I have a box for you it will go out tomorrow or 6 members got them sent out today, check your tracking #. I am doing the very best I can on getting the work out. I know you guys want to ride ASAP. I always think about that if it were me.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
It is 19:54 hours/7:54pm. I have been working on them all day. I am running out of boxes. Look at your e-Mail in say one more hour. If I have a box for you it will go out tomorrow or 6 members got them sent out today, check your tracking #. I am doing the very best I can on getting the work out. I know you guys want to ride ASAP. I always think about that if it were me.

Now that's great customer service Howard, just a quick shout out to let you know I'm loving the new jri's on my 14 FLHXS. Can't get over the difference in ride quality that a GOOD pair of shocks make.

Quick Reply: Ohlins from Howard