Lowering 2014

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 PM
MartinSporti
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering 2014

Dear Toruing Friends,

There are several threads with the topic running which lowering kit is best and so on for front and rear.

But i'm first looking for the answer, which lowering i can go on rear.

And 2nd i want to know which lowering is possibel on front (main reason would be the remain distance front-fender to the stock oil cooler) as well as the brake lines ...

But 1st let us talk about the rear lowering.

Stock is 12" at 2014 Street Glide.

Progressive Suspension told me i should not go lower than 11.5".

I want shock and no lowering as offered by La-Choopers with their $100 metal piece ..

In near future i want to go again somtimes also with passenger and luggage approxiamtely 100 Kg extra load maximum i guess.

For better footing on ground i would like to receive your opinion.

The optic should also finally not loose - i mean no high necker at the end due to lowered rear.

For sure seat is already improved (SunDowner) by saddleman here in german - and i'm really fine with that.

Looking forward for your suggestion.

Martin

Old 07-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Ok, my BF has been through this on his 14' SGS. Burly 10.5"'s worked but the ride was firm and 2 up bottomed on the firmest (highest) setting. Right now he has Progressive HD 12" 412's with a LA Choppers 1" lowering kit for a drop to 11" (1" lower than stock). 2 up his load is approximately 360# and he bottoms on the lowest setting. Right now he's on the next firmer setting and 2 up he loves the ride and no bottoming. I don't think Progressive has a 11" shock .............

Last edited by Beaux; 07-17-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:00 AM
MartinSporti
Intermediate
Default ok

11.5" Shocks he is using or 12" from progressive suspension together with their lowering bracket to reach 11" ?

Is there nobody out there who lowered rear ?

Old 07-18-2014, 06:32 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I haven't lowered mine, but I think if you do research here you'll find a lot of folks really like going with Ohlins shocks on the rear. I see you are in Germany; there is a company here in the US (Messner's Motorcyclemetal) that many refer to when buying Ohlins shocks as Messner's will actual build the shock to your particular application - including lowering. You may want to start with their web site:Messner's Motorcyclemetal. There you can look at the different shocks available & their reach, I believe the "3" series Ohlins are adjustable for length.

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:43 AM
ratsnest
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

I put 12" progressives on mine ... on the second setting on my king..

Old 07-18-2014, 10:39 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinSporti
Progressive Suspension told me....
I want shock and no lowering...
Maybe you should listen to the experts then.

If you've already spoken to a shock company, and don't want to use lowering blocks, there is really not much else "we" can offer.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Portert
6th Gear

Anyone else that has used Bagger Werxs Adjustable Rear shock loweing kit # 598157 might want to check their saddle bags. I had this installed by the dealer on my 14 SGS The shocks have rubbed against my saddle bags on both sides and have eaten a hole into both saddle bags. I am only 5' 5" and I needed it lowered in order to feel comfortable riding it. While talking to my dealer prior to purchasing the SGS I asked about lowering it and was told NO PROBLEM it won't void the waranty or mess up the ride or the bike and they had used the Bagger Werx Adjustable Rear Shock Lowering Kit # 598157 on several other SGS. Well I must be the only one to take the bags off to clean it cause I am the only one reporting that the shocks are eating holes in my saddle bags.

If anyone else has had this problem please let me know!!!
Thanks

Old 07-18-2014, 10:50 PM
hanny
Road Captain

air ride in the back is the only way to go. I have arnott's on the back with a lowering switch on the left bar to raise and lower the back,,,,, pretty bad *** to drop it when you want and still have a great ride.
On the front I slid the forks up into the trees and lowered the front about an inch for "ZERO" cost. I cant see going much lower in the front if you are wanting to ride it without it rubbing the ground from time to time. paul

Old 07-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Portert
Anyone else that has used Bagger Werxs Adjustable Rear shock loweing kit # 598157 might want to check their saddle bags. I had this installed by the dealer on my 14 SGS The shocks have rubbed against my saddle bags on both sides and have eaten a hole into both saddle bags. I am only 5' 5" and I needed it lowered in order to feel comfortable riding it. While talking to my dealer prior to purchasing the SGS I asked about lowering it and was told NO PROBLEM it won't void the waranty or mess up the ride or the bike and they had used the Bagger Werx Adjustable Rear Shock Lowering Kit # 598157 on several other SGS. Well I must be the only one to take the bags off to clean it cause I am the only one reporting that the shocks are eating holes in my saddle bags.

If anyone else has had this problem please let me know!!!
Thanks
I can't comment on your issue - sorry about it though, I hope you get it worked out - but I think you can get about 1-1/2" or 2" of lowering from a saddle modification (see Mean City Cycles), not sure how much you can get from shorter shocks on an SGS, but if you still need some reach you might try having a thicker sole & heel cobbled to your boots. I know of a guy that does that to enhance his reach. I think his road name is Hermann Munster - but hey, it works for him!