Sponsored by:

iPhone and the Infotainment USB Connection

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:59 PM
bpd138
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockrivr1
Anyone use the USB connection on their infotainment system to link up your iPhone? I tried using it that way and the screen kept stating it was reading my iPhone and never stopped. So no music every played through that connection. Was hoping it would so that I could keep charging it while the music was streaming through the same connection.

If I unplugged the USB the iPhone would sync with Bluetooth and play no problem. Not a big deal as I can get a car charger for the iPhone, but was wondering if anyone found a solution to that. Would be nice to play music from the iPhone and charge it all at the same time on one cable.

Thanks,
I had a similar problem using an Ipod 4. It turned out to be a bad cable. Swapped the cable out and everything is working fine. I have a lot of music on my Ipod and I get the "Reading" notification across the top for about five or ten seconds but it always works since I changed the cable.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:04 PM
itnetpro
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't buy ITunes music. My Library is through Xbox Music so when I connect the IPhone nothing ever reads and it disables the blu-tooth so I can't stream my Xbox Music through the system. In an ideal world I would use the USB for charging and stream Xbox music via blu-tooth but it wont work that way so I can either A-keep in rear case instead plugged into power outlet or B-just run music off battery.

John

Last edited by itnetpro; 07-15-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Pilotmedic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no problem hooking it up on Bluetooth so short of seeing the album cover on the screen what advantage is there to using the USB short of charging

Old 07-15-2014, 09:23 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealer mentioned something to someone last ek about shutting off the Bluetooth before connecting via USB to work correctly because it's trying to connect via Bluetooth and cable at the same time... I have never had an issue so can't say, but that was from one of the horses mouths

Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Pilotmedic
I have no problem hooking it up on Bluetooth so short of seeing the album cover on the screen what advantage is there to using the USB short of charging
When it's connected via Bluetooth you are stuck in the present playlist and can only go forward or back in the playlist. With it connected to the USB port you can back out of one playlist and go to any or main library. You can go to a specific artist or genre. I like this feature much more because I have many playlist so it's much quicker to find a specific song by going to that playlist. The display only shows 3 songs at a time so getting to song 100 can be a pain. With several playlist or artist function I can quickly play any song I'm in the mood to listen to.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 PM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Jake
Dealer mentioned something to someone last ek about shutting off the Bluetooth before connecting via USB to work correctly because it's trying to connect via Bluetooth and cable at the same time... I have never had an issue so can't say, but that was from one of the horses mouths
Dealer is is a horse's a* for saying that. The phone works through Bluetooth not the cable. The Bluetooth icon is on when phone is plugged in. My 5S works fine on Bluetooth for calls and listening to music plugged in. My car takes longer to sync than my Ultra. I had about 30gb and it look about ten minutes first time. I switched to ITunes Match and fixed that problem.

Last edited by sectime; 07-15-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sectime
Dealer is is a horse's a* for saying that. The phone works through Bluetooth not the cable. The Bluetooth icon is on when phone is plugged in. My 5S works fine on Bluetooth for calls and listening to music plugged in. My car takes longer to sync than my Ultra.
Not sure where you got this info, if it's plugged into the USB then it's playing and passing some data thru the cable. The phone calls and text are still Bluetooth but your music and album cover data is passing thru the cable just like an iPod. You get a lot more functionality when plugged into the USB, see post above for details.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:51 PM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
Not sure where you got this info, if it's plugged into the USB then it's playing and passing some data thru the cable. The phone calls and text are still Bluetooth but your music and album cover data is passing thru the cable just like an iPod. You get a lot more functionality when plugged into the USB, see post above for details.
You said the same thing I posted so I'm confused

Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sectime
You said the same thing I posted so I'm confused
I'm sorry your right, I read it wrong. We said the same thing alright.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:29 AM
gghostrrider
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone used the iPhone for GPS via Infotainment? I'm looking at the SGS vs SG and one othe major factors is GPS. If I could use the phone I might not need GPS or the bigger screen, and could get that Daytona Blue too!

Quick Reply: iPhone and the Infotainment USB Connection