Sponsored by:

Headlight Modulator for 14 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 12:22 AM
LOTL
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlight Modulator for 14 Ultra Limited

Looking at picking up a new 14 UL to replace the 08 Electra Glide i totaled last week.
Both the little woman and myself were thrown off of the bike after hitting this guys pickup that pulled out in front off us. He told the cops that he never saw us coming.
So in an effort to make us more visible id like to install a modulator for the front headlight and maybe a flasher for the brake lights.
Looks like things get complicated with the new Canbus electrical system and the LED headlamps. The only place i have found is a company called Kriss.
Looks like they offer a set up for the 2014 bikes that works with Canbus and the LED headlamps. Of course they are twice the money of a similar non LED set up from Signal Dynamics or Custom Dynamics. But hey if it works and works well it will be worth it.
Just curious if anyone has ever used a modulator on their 14 bikes with the LED headlamps or if anyone has ever had any dealings with Kriss products.
http://www.kriss.com/harleyfactoryledmod.php

Old 07-05-2014, 07:09 AM
dr2152
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put one on mine just after getting it. It took an hour to install as it is not just a plug in mod. It works on your low beam light. Modulators do work just remember to leave your spot lights off or the modulating light is hard for drivers to notice.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:03 AM
reg26
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Kriss modulator on both bikes that I own and they work great. Don't buy the oe made by harley it only modulates your low beam which is almost useless. I see people start to go and then stop all the time cause of my light flashing. I just turn it off when stopped at lights or when cruising on the hwy with little traffic. They are truly a life saving product. I've even seen people putting on their seat belts as I come down the road, I guess they think I'm a cop

Old 07-05-2014, 08:18 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

For tail/brake lights check out brightasslights.com

Old 07-05-2014, 08:21 AM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts

I've used a modulator in the past. It was a Kriss. They make the best one. My experience with a modulator was that it did make the bike more visible. It also caused some drivers to frantically pull to the side thinking I was a law enforcement officer. One day a lady almost wrecked her car trying to get out of my way. I stopped using one then. The lights on the 14's are very bright anyway.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:24 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,353 Likes on 21,852 Posts

I hear ya. I wanna be seen as well as heard and not in an obnoxious way either but if some are offended by it, so be it as I am offended by their inattentive driving.

I put in a brighter bulb, Osram 80/100 and a Kissan Path Blazer
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/pa...Fabm7AodijsAoQ
I have a B A L-1 for the tail-light too.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:42 AM
LOTL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by reg26
I have the Kriss modulator on both bikes that I own and they work great. Don't buy the oe made by harley it only modulates your low beam which is almost useless. I see people start to go and then stop all the time cause of my light flashing. I just turn it off when stopped at lights or when cruising on the hwy with little traffic. They are truly a life saving product. I've even seen people putting on their seat belts as I come down the road, I guess they think I'm a cop
I dont think Harley makes a modulator for the Canbus system with LED headlamps yet. The one i linked to from Kriss also says it only flashes the low beam. Id like to think with the brighter LED lamps, that itll still be very noticeable. Heres a quote from the bottom of the page i linked to.
"Due to design of the LED headlight it's necessary to modulate the low beam when used on a Can-Bus motorcycle"

Old 07-05-2014, 09:06 AM
NCBondsman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Kriss headlight modulator on my 14 SGS with the Truck Lite 7. It works great. It was kind of expensive but worth it. I run mine all of the time. I put the sensor on the right side in front of the tank running horizontal. Transitions fine when the sun goes down.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:50 AM
LOTL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NCBondsman
I have a Kriss headlight modulator on my 14 SGS with the Truck Lite 7. It works great. It was kind of expensive but worth it. I run mine all of the time. I put the sensor on the right side in front of the tank running horizontal. Transitions fine when the sun goes down.
I take it your 14 SGS didnt come with an LED headlight and thats why you installed the Truck Lite 7? All 2014's have the new Canbus wiring system correct?

Old 07-05-2014, 12:30 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lights on my new '14 Ultra are the Brightest I've ever had on a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Headlight Modulator for 14 Ultra Limited